Ken Griffey JR

AVJ- is Bailey a prospect? He looked horrible in spring training and gave no hope for the near future. As far as trading Griffey for a prospect or to free up money, that's easy to say for someone who's team spends more on their pitching staff than some spend on there entire team. Maybe if the Sox and Yanks could spread the love ($$$$) around it would help.

I think that until MLB gets a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL, the Reds and most other teams will be scavening for what little young talent there is out there. Then after they hit free agency they get sucked up by the teams on the coast.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds hitters are #1 in HR, #4 in Runs/RBI's, and 9th in Average. Not bad considering the lack of payroll available.

The Pitchers are T#1 in complete games, #9 in strike outs, #6 in GIDP and last in the league in ERA. Until the last two weeks the ERA was near the middle of the NL.

If hitting is OK and pitching was ok ...maybe it is time for Jerry Narron to go.

AVJ- is Bailey a prospect? He looked horrible in spring training and gave no hope for the near future. As far as trading Griffey for a prospect or to free up money, that's easy to say for someone who's team spends more on their pitching staff than some spend on there entire team. Maybe if the Sox and Yanks could spread the love ($$$$) around it would help.

I think that until MLB gets a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL, the Reds and most other teams will be scavening for what little young talent there is out there. Then after they hit free agency they get sucked up by the teams on the coast.

Bailey is 5-1 with a 1.89 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP at Triple A Louisville and just turned 21 3 weeks ago. He's rated as the 5th best prospect in baseball by Baseball America so yeah, I'd say he's got a shot of making the big leagues. You have to remember that he's barely 21--go back and look at Maddux, Smoltz, Randy Johnson and some of those guys when they were that age. Griffey can't do anything to help the Reds win now, the prospects he could be dealt for might provide the building blocks for a resurgance in the future. I like the Reds but the current roster they have is going to take them nowhere and they don't have enough quality players in their farm system right now. The only way to get those players is to trade established players to teams in a race. I know there's been rumors of Jr. to Boston and if that happens that's okay. Personally it doesn't excite me a great deal because I cringe at the thought of Ramirez, Drew and Griffey Jr. trying to run down fly balls without the former butchering them or the latter two killing themselves and the Sox are doing just fine right now with what they've got. However, keeping Jr. just so we can watch him every day is not in the Reds best long term interests and that's what the management should be worried about.

I think he is having a solid year but will he ever run out a ground ball?

It's almost as if he is afraid of getting hurt again.

How many players actually try and run out ground balls now? Not because he's afraid of getting hurt, simply because they are lazy!

AVJ- Jr to the Sox are you kidding me :irked: I would probably completely quit watching baseball if Jr went to the Sox. Not because I hate the Sox but because that is what is wrong with baseball today. The Sox would use him and discard him as would the Yanks. Baseball without a salary cap stinks. :fight:

AVJ- Jr to the Sox are you kidding me :irked: I would probably completely quit watching baseball if Jr went to the Sox. Not because I hate the Sox but because that is what is wrong with baseball today. The Sox would use him and discard him as would the Yanks. Baseball without a salary cap stinks. :fight:

That's a rumor but I don't see it happening. The Sox are 20 games over .500 and that would just be a brutal outfield defensively. Hey--it's not as though he would be just getting used--at least he'd get to play for a Major League Team again!:D