Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elite Programs

Which of the following are Elite? (Basketball) 869 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of the following are Elite? (Basketball)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author

Our Top 10:

 

  1. UNC
  2. Duke
  3. UK
  4. Kansas
  5. UCLA
  6. Indiana
  7. Florida
  8. UCONN
  9. Michigan State
  10. Arizone

ESPN's:

 

  1. Duke
  2. UNC
  3. Kansas
  4. UK
  5. Arizona
  6. UCONN
  7. UCLA
  8. UNLV
  9. Syracuse
  10. Georgetown

  • Replies 81
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I voted for 9 of their Top 10.

I voted for 7 of their 10, and voted for 11 overall. Of course, I wasn't voting based on elite programs since 1985....

I voted for Syracuse, but I don't consider just what you listed enough to be Elite.

 

I think you all are mistaken. I don't think Elite status is something that comes and goes so easily. Anyone who doesn't put Syracuse or Indiana or Arizona or Kansas in there is just wrong.

 

All of those schools are in the Top 10 -15 ALL TIME in wins (I'm guessing there but I would assume that's correct). They have National Championships, they have multiple conference championships, they are constantly (good or bad years included) in on the good recruits, and have some of the biggest fan bases in the country. They are elite.

 

UC hasn't done anything in 6 years, they are Elite, for the reasons I listed above.

 

Flash in the pans are not Elite, Elite does not just cover 1,2,5,10 years, it is a status that is way too hard to lose (or gain) during a 2-5 year period of mediocrity.

 

UC will have a great team for the next 3 or 4 years. Their last 2 recruiting classes have been in the top 5.

UC will have a great team for the next 3 or 4 years. Their last 2 recruiting classes have been in the top 5.[/QUOTE]

 

:confused:

While not "Top 5" both classes were highly ranked, and the talent level in the program is back to normal...

While not "Top 5" both classes were highly ranked, and the talent level in the program is back to normal...

 

:lol: Thats more realistic.

Thats my fault. I was mistaken by someone who told me that. I still do believe they will have success in the near future.

Thats my fault. I was mistaken by someone who told me that. I still do believe they will have success in the near future.

No worries. There might be some growing pains left to experience this year because everyone outside of Vaughn and Williams is so young, but Mick has the program back on solid ground. Remember the name Dion Dixon. He's going to be VERY good. Here's to hoping that monster in my avatar sticks around for two years...

I voted for Syracuse, but I don't consider just what you listed enough to be Elite.

 

I think you all are mistaken. I don't think Elite status is something that comes and goes so easily. Anyone who doesn't put Syracuse or Indiana or Arizona or Kansas in there is just wrong.

 

All of those schools are in the Top 10 -15 ALL TIME in wins (I'm guessing there but I would assume that's correct). They have National Championships, they have multiple conference championships, they are constantly (good or bad years included) in on the good recruits, and have some of the biggest fan bases in the country. They are elite.

 

UC hasn't done anything in 6 years, they are Elite, for the reasons I listed above.

 

Flash in the pans are not Elite, Elite does not just cover 1,2,5,10 years, it is a status that is way too hard to lose (or gain) during a 2-5 year period of mediocrity.

 

98, I think there are parameter issues that allows everyone to look at this poll differently.

 

As for me, I choose to look at the programs that are defined as elite by historically (50 years or so) what they have accomplished. I also factor in that every program has ups and downs but return at some point to elite status.

 

That said the choices are simple to me:

 

UNC= 4 Titles in 51 years and most FF's.

UK= 4 Titles in 50 years stretched over 3 decades with FF's scattered in each decade.

IU= 3 Titles in that time and consistant runs in Big 10 and Tourney.

Duke= Final Fours in every decade and 3 titles.

 

Anyone else is not what I deem elite because they have too many great gaps between seasons where they compete for a National title. For example Cincy had a great run in the late 50's and early 60's and faded. Some success in the 70's but nothing until the 90's. That's about a 25 year hole.

 

Syracuse has had only 4 Final Fours overall and only 1 title. I don't see them being included in an Elite model.

 

I see a difference between Good programs, Great programs and Elite programs.

98, I think there are parameter issues that allows everyone to look at this poll differently.

 

As for me, I choose to look at the programs that are defined as elite by historically (50 years or so) what they have accomplished. I also factor in that every program has ups and downs but return at some point to elite status.

 

That said the choices are simple to me:

 

UNC= 4 Titles in 51 years and most FF's.

UK= 4 Titles in 50 years stretched over 3 decades with FF's scattered in each decade.

IU= 3 Titles in that time and consistant runs in Big 10 and Tourney.

Duke= Final Fours in every decade and 3 titles.

 

Anyone else is not what I deem elite because they have too many great gaps between seasons where they compete for a National title. For example Cincy had a great run in the late 50's and early 60's and faded. Some success in the 70's but nothing until the 90's. That's about a 25 year hole.

 

Syracuse has had only 4 Final Fours overall and only 1 title. I don't see them being included in an Elite model.

 

I see a difference between Good programs, Great programs and Elite programs.

 

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

GT, what would your Elite list look like??

 

Something like this?

 

UCLA

UK

UNC

Kansas

Indiana

Duke

Duke is a new elite team. UK, UCLA and UNC are top 3 elite teams imo. Duke is a new elite as of 20 years, Indiana is more of an older elite and starting to strive again. Kansas would probably be my 4th elite of all time team.

In no particular order. Long term list:

 

UCLA

Duke

UNC

Kansas

IU

UK

 

Past decade list:

 

Florida

UConn

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UL

Memphis St

UCLA

 

Those are the eight schools most prominent on the recruiting trail right now, and that's almost always a "what have you done for me lately" world...

In no particular order. Long term list:

 

UCLA

Duke

UNC

Kansas

IU

UK

 

Past decade list:

 

Florida

UConn

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UL

Memphis St

UCLA

 

Those are the eight schools most prominent on the recruiting trail right now, and that's almost always a "what have you done for me lately" world...

 

That's what I figured. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.