April 13, 200719 yr So lets judge it on 1 off season for these guys? WEAK! Calhoun is the only one I mentioned with one off year. NEXT!!!
April 13, 200719 yr K has been in a big down turn. I'm not a Duke fan, but I'd have to argue this one. This year was down by Duke standards. But the Duke win totals for the last 10 years, counting this year, are: 22, 32, 27, 31, 26, 31, 35, 29, 37, & 32 for a total of 302 wins vs 53 losses. That's an average of 30-5 per season for the last ten years. I know they have been to at least 2 final fours and won a national title during that time.
April 14, 200719 yr I'm not a Duke fan, but I'd have to argue this one. This year was down by Duke standards. But the Duke win totals for the last 10 years, counting this year, are: 22, 32, 27, 31, 26, 31, 35, 29, 37, & 32 for a total of 302 wins vs 53 losses. That's an average of 30-5 per season for the last ten years. I know they have been to at least 2 final fours and won a national title during that time. In the last 8 tournaments they have a title in 2001 and a Final 4 in 2004. They have not been past the Sweet 16 in the other 5 years. 4 Sweet 16 loses and 1 first round loss...
April 14, 200719 yr So lets judge it on 1 off season for these guys? WEAK! Most of the guys I mentioned are 20+ season guys. They have done great jobs. Izzo and Donovan IMO are far from done. You forget so quickly that in 2005 Michigan St was in the Final 4 and Arizona was beat in overtime by Illinois to keep them going from the Final 4. Now what I am saying to you is that your view that 10 years is the maximum life at 1 school for a coach is completely absurd. I have given you several examples that completely prove you wrong.
April 14, 200719 yr In the last 8 tournaments they have a title in 2001 and a Final 4 in 2004. They have not been past the Sweet 16 in the other 5 years. 4 Sweet 16 loses and 1 first round loss... The 1st 20 years of Coach K, Boheim, and Calhoun were pretty darn good. Even after the 10 year mark. You are making this too easy. :sssh:
April 14, 200719 yr Most of the guys I mentioned are 20+ season guys. They have done great jobs. Izzo and Donovan IMO are far from done. You forget so quickly that in 2005 Michigan St was in the Final 4 and Arizona was beat in overtime by Illinois to keep them going from the Final 4. Now what I am saying to you is that your view that 10 years is the maximum life at 1 school for a coach is completely absurd. I have given you several examples that completely prove you wrong. It's becoming more and more the norm every year. Sure there will be a few exceptions, but that's where the game is going. You were only able to come up with 6 guys out of how many major programs? And I made it clear that they have not been all that fantastic lately. Boehiem won a title on the back of Melo and did what to follow it up? The class after the title was a total flop and they were a few miracle shots from two straight NIT bids. Izzo has not been the same since he lost Crean and then Heath on his staff. Talent is down, and they can't even get to the top of what has been a weak Big 11. I'll give you Calhoun but let's see how he does without Tom Moore (do I need to explain who he is for you). Billy D is at year 11 so it's too early to tell if he's going to slide. Truth be told, before the 04s his job was starting to enter thin ice territory. And you are going to defend K after you've blasted their tournament "prowess" on here for 3 years? Rich. Do you need the other 330 D1 examples that back my theory???
April 14, 200719 yr The 1st 20 years of Coach K, Boheim, and Calhoun were pretty darn good. Even after the 10 year mark. You are making this too easy. :sssh: The game has changed, and you are the one making it easy... :walk:
April 14, 200719 yr In the last 8 tournaments they have a title in 2001 and a Final 4 in 2004. They have not been past the Sweet 16 in the other 5 years. 4 Sweet 16 loses and 1 first round loss... So they have gone to the Final Four 25% of the time in the last 8 years?
April 14, 200719 yr So they have gone to the Final Four 25% of the time in the last 8 years? And out before the Regional Finals 75% of the time...
April 14, 200719 yr And out before the Regional Finals 75% of the time... I think most programs would be ecstatic to average 30 wins per season, 4 sweet sixteens, 2 final fours, and a national title over the last eight years. There's not very many folks who can say that. I wish I could say the same for our Cats. I have a difficult time calling these kinds of numbers, "a big down turn". On the flip side. I agree with the 10 years and out theory. I think it is true 99% of the time, and I think that in today's world, and in the future, that number will get closer to 100%. I think Donovan has bought himself 5 more years. Coach K, Olsen, and Beoheime will stay as long as they want. But once they retire the odds of anyone going longer than 10 is extreme. The odd one is Izzo. I don't know a lot of MSU fans, but everyone that I do know, absolutely loves the guy. It was always THE job he wanted so there seems to be a special chemistry there.
April 14, 200719 yr I think most programs would be ecstatic to average 30 wins per season, 4 sweet sixteens, 2 final fours, and a national title over the last eight years. There's not very many folks who can say that. I wish I could say the same for our Cats. I have a difficult time calling these kinds of numbers, "a big down turn". Fair enough. There is ONE 12+ season coach I think is doing just fine...
April 14, 200719 yr It's becoming more and more the norm every year. Sure there will be a few exceptions, but that's where the game is going. You were only able to come up with 6 guys out of how many major programs? And I made it clear that they have not been all that fantastic lately. Boehiem won a title on the back of Melo and did what to follow it up? The class after the title was a total flop and they were a few miracle shots from two straight NIT bids. Izzo has not been the same since he lost Crean and then Heath on his staff. Talent is down, and they can't even get to the top of what has been a weak Big 11. I'll give you Calhoun but let's see how he does without Tom Moore (do I need to explain who he is for you). Billy D is at year 11 so it's too early to tell if he's going to slide. Truth be told, before the 04s his job was starting to enter thin ice territory. And you are going to defend K after you've blasted their tournament "prowess" on here for 3 years? Rich. Do you need the other 330 D1 examples that back my theory??? There is a huge difference between its becoming more the norm and saying that "10 years is the maximum life at any school." The way you worded it was crazy. As for all the coaches I have named all are 20 season guys except for Donovan and Izzo. I think those guys will continue doing well. Your statement is way off base. Had you worded it different then I maybe able to see your point. As for Coach K, I do think his recruiting has slipped. He just hasnt got the right players in there. I dont think he necessarily hit a homerun with this class. Its a very good class, but no stud big man (unless they get Patterson). He is still a great coach and eventually, he will have it back around the top probably, as much as Id rather him not.
April 14, 200719 yr Fair enough. There is ONE 12+ season coach I think is doing just fine... :lol: You are on a roll tonight!!!
April 14, 200719 yr There is a huge difference between its becoming more the norm and saying that "10 years is the maximum life at any school." The way you worded it was crazy. In this day and age 10 years is about the maximum life at any one school. The way you READ it is what's crazy...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.