April 5, 200719 yr If Donovan has truly decided to not accept the UK job, then his choice. There are many very good coaches out there and I'm certain, UK will seek the most qualified person they can get. A perfect example, of how things don't often work out. If I was seeking a college coach, my choice would be Izzo. Now, if he's available, interested or willing, I have no idea.
April 5, 200719 yr What is tough for some folks to accept is that the Kentucky basketball program can no longer rest on its laurels as the premier program in the nation and assume that's enough to get the best of the best - players or coaches. It's not enough anymore to simply point at the banners in Rupp Arena and say, "Look up there. That's why you should be here." There's a lot more parity and there are at least a few programs that have caught up - even in the same conference. Maybe not in terms of history, or total wins, or conference titles or winning percentage; but certainly in many measures of recent success. It will be interesting to see how Plan B plays out. I've thought for a long time that Izzo would be a good choice, but I haven't heard his name mentioned for a while.
April 5, 200719 yr If Donovan has truly decided to not accept the UK job, then his choice. There are many very good coaches out there and I'm certain, UK will seek the most qualified person they can get. A perfect example, of how things don't often work out. If I was seeking a college coach, my choice would be Izzo. Now, if he's available, interested or willing, I have no idea. I must have posted a few seconds after you. You know what they say about great minds and all that...
April 5, 200719 yr What is tough for some folks to accept is that the Kentucky basketball program can no longer rest on its laurels as the premier program in the nation and assume that's enough to get the best of the best - players or coaches. It's not enough anymore to simply point at the banners in Rupp Arena and say, "Look up there. That's why you should be here." There's a lot more parity and there are at least a few programs that have caught up - even in the same conference. Maybe not in terms of history, or total wins, or conference titles or winning percentage; but certainly in many measures of recent success. It will be interesting to see how Plan B plays out. I've thought for a long time that Izzo would be a good choice, but I haven't heard his name mentioned for a while. When have they ever done that? Was Pitino the best of the best when UK hired him? Was Tubby the best of the best when UK hired him?
April 5, 200719 yr I say we get a movement going to remove Pitino's banner from Rupp. If you are a true blue fan or honored with a banner to hang in Rupp you should have enough love and respect for that program not to interfere and make public statements that a new coach should not take the Kentucky job. Pitino in my opinion is a trader and should no longer be honored in Rupp or by Kentucky. Heck Tubby won as many championships as Little Baby Ricky Pitino and we've not honored Tubby! Quit talking so bad about your new coach. LOL
April 5, 200719 yr When have they ever done that? Was Pitino the best of the best when UK hired him? Was Tubby the best of the best when UK hired him? Let me rephrase, then. Instead of "the best of the best", let's say "the first choice for head coach", or "the most-heavily recruited players".
April 5, 200719 yr FINALLY WE CAN ALL MOVE ON!! :thumb: I was hoping we could get Donovan, but it's far from the end of the world, IMO. There are plenty of good candidates out there and I'm confident that Barnhardt will find a good coach to get us where we want to be. When Tubby first left, I really thought Donovan would take the job and I stuck by that guess, but as time went on I was less and less confident that it would actually happen. I'm just glad we know for sure now and we can move on.
April 5, 200719 yr Let me rephrase, then. Instead of "the best of the best", let's say "the first choice for head coach", or "the most-heavily recruited players". :thumb:
April 5, 200719 yr I must have posted a few seconds after you. You know what they say about great minds and all that...Thanks and I know several, that would disagree about the great mind compliment, with me....:lol: I think many UK fans, are setting themselves up heartache, if Donovan doesn't accept the position. There are many, excellent coaches in the land and to me (won't be popular with the big blue fans) but just another example, of how UK fans are "what have you done for me lately".... Tubby Smith won 263 over the last 10 years, 3rd most of any coach and still, was getting lambasted. Donovan is the hot coach right now and if UK doesn't sign him, most fans will think the program is doomed. I would guess, most can't give many aspects of Donovan at all, other than he's won 2 National Championships in a row and beat UK, 6 consecutive times. He appears to be excellent, wonderful person and has done an outstanding job at Florida but there are other coaches, which can lead a UK program.....just have to find one, wanting to sign.
April 5, 200719 yr KY fans feel etitled to take their wrath out on somebody whenever anything doesn't suit them. This time it will be Mitch, although he probably did all he could do. When somebody won't meet with you, and fans the flame of doubt just enough to keep you interested, what are you going to do? Move on. :thumb: I don't understand all the hatred toward Barnhardt. He has produced some very good results since becoming the AD and Kentucky (first bowl win in football in how long? improvement in almost every other sport), and I fully expect him to make the best hire possible for our next basketball coach. I think Barnhardt talked to Donovan and I think Billy told him straight up that he was staying in Florida...what else can he do? Threaten his life if he doesn't take the UK job...I mean if Billy is happy there and doesn't want to leave, there's nothing else Mitch can do. I have plenty of confidence in him to get us a good coach in place who plays an exciting style and can get UK back to where we expect to be. Period. I agree with you...get over it. Barnhardt is a good AD and he'll make a good hire. If you can't be happy without anyone but Billy Donovan, then that's your problem. Don't blame Mitch Barnhardt because Donovan is happy where he's at and didn't want to leave.
April 5, 200719 yr Thanks and I know several, that would disagree about the great mind compliment, with me....:lol: I think many UK fans, are setting themselves up heartache, if Donovan doesn't accept the position. There are many, excellent coaches in the land and to me (won't be popular with the big blue fans) but just another example, of how UK fans are "what have you done for me lately".... Tubby Smith won 263 over the last 10 years, 3rd most of any coach and still, was getting lambasted. Donovan is the hot coach right now and if UK doesn't sign him, most fans will think the program is doomed. I would guess, most can't give many aspects of Donovan at all, other than he's won 2 National Championships in a row and beat UK, 6 consecutive times. He appears to be excellent, wonderful person and has done an outstanding job at Florida but there are other coaches, which can lead a UK program.....just have to find one, wanting to sign. :thumb: Exactly...it's all about the last two years as you said. Donovan has won two titles, but before that he hadn't exactly set the world on fire. I give him credit for what he's accomplished, but not getting him isn't the end of the world for UK. There are plenty of other options...Donovan had the previous ties to UK and the hot name which would have been great to start with, but it's possible UK could find a person who may be a better fit for the long term. Donovan isn't the only good coach in college basketball.
April 5, 200719 yr I think it is funny for all of you who said Billy will be the next coach, there is no way billy can say no to UK. :laugh: Now, for the ones who have so called inside sources that Billy was coming, you have lost all credibility if you ever had any...
April 5, 200719 yr :thumb: I don't understand all the hatred toward Barnhardt. He has produced some very good results since becoming the AD and Kentucky (first bowl win in football in how long? improvement in almost every other sport), and I fully expect him to make the best hire possible for our next basketball coach. I think Barnhardt talked to Donovan and I think Billy told him straight up that he was staying in Florida...what else can he do? Threaten his life if he doesn't take the UK job...I mean if Billy is happy there and doesn't want to leave, there's nothing else Mitch can do. I have plenty of confidence in him to get us a good coach in place who plays an exciting style and can get UK back to where we expect to be. Period. I agree with you...get over it. Barnhardt is a good AD and he'll make a good hire. If you can't be happy without anyone but Billy Donovan, then that's your problem. Don't blame Mitch Barnhardt because Donovan is happy where he's at and didn't want to leave. Maybe he should have sent Luca Brasi to make the offer.
April 5, 200719 yr :thumb: Exactly...it's all about the last two years as you said. Donovan has won two titles, but before that he hadn't exactly set the world on fire. I give him credit for what he's accomplished, but not getting him isn't the end of the world for UK. There are plenty of other options...Donovan had the previous ties to UK and the hot name which would have been great to start with, but it's possible UK could find a person who may be a better fit for the long term. Donovan isn't the only good coach in college basketball. I agree, many have adapted the same approach in Donovan, since he's the hot name lately. ....Now, for the ones who have so called inside sources that Billy was coming, you have lost all credibility if you ever had any...I don't think so at all. If Donovan had let it be known, he was coming and some indicated, they had heard that and then, changes his mind....the sources they knew, may not have been privy to his change. I interviewed for a position once, with 8 people. Agreed in principal to accept the position, those 8 left the room thinking I was the coach. They may or may not have told others, then so on....Once the salary was discussed, I withdrew my name to the Athletic Director and point being, the other 8 and their contacts, still assumed I accepted the job. It happens and not everyone, can remain in the loop. So to those who made statements, thinking they were accurate....for what it's worth, nothing has changed on my part....:thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.