Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Coach in the State?

Featured Replies

It's no more of a slam than to belittle Coach Hicks ability simply because SC is a larger school.
Who is belittling Billy Hicks' ability as a coach? Certainly not me ...

 

Your affinity for Scott County's program has placed a big chip on your shoulder.

I think Coach Hicks could have won the state with Ballard's team, Holmes' team, and would have given it a run with Tilghman if he'd been there a few years because they would be able to do more than just run and jump. I'd be willing to bet there are a couple of good guards walking the hallways at PT.
You really don't want to get into this discussion, do you? ;)
  • Replies 66
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it as a slam. What I see it as, is Coach Hicks is a top tier coach that very few guys in the state are at. And Coach Hicks is known for developing talent. Everyone knows about all the basketball camps he has in the summer. He does a great job with them as far as beginning to teach them fundamentals and how to play.
And no one, least of all me, has implied anything otherwise ...
  • Author
And no one, least of all me, has implied anything otherwise ...

 

I think basically what Hoops Yoda is saying is give Billy Hicks 3 or 4 years at these other good programs and he can do the same thing he did at Scott Co. I think he would have had a great shot at winning a title this year if he coached at Bryan Station or Tates Creek as well.

I think basically what Hoops Yoda is saying is give Billy Hicks 3 or 4 years at these other good programs and he can do the same thing he did at Scott Co. I think he would have had a great shot at winning a title this year if he coached at Bryan Station or Tates Creek as well.
And I don't see anyone here disputing that or implying that he isn't that good a coach ...

Of the Ky coaches I have witnessed in the past, and got to see last week these are the names I like, but take into consideration I haven't seen all that many.

1. Allen Hatcher

2. Tim Riley

3. Billy Hicks

4. Bill Mike Runyon

5. Dale Mabrey

6. David Henley

7. Steve Wright

The guy at J-town does a pretty decent job.

In my opinion, I said this last weekend while sitting behind him at Rupp Arena, Tim Riley is the best darn coach the state has to offer. He teaches defense and team ball. I've never seen a Warren Central Riley team have a ballhog or a bad defender. They always hustle and all seem to have their heads on straight. Not to mention he must have hired one heck of a weight trainer because his boys get big over 4 years. Love the work ethic they have.

 

If I was to start a school in KY he would be my first choice, with Dave Fuast, Mike Code, and up and coming coach Brad Carr of Scott as my assistants. Wishful thinking right?

Who is the coach at Covington-Holy Cross now?? I remember a few years ago maybe 4-5 years to be exact they were really disciplined and well coached both offensively and defensively, they had a really good coach at that time. Just wondering if he is still there. I can't remember his name though.

Your speaking of Danny Trame. Not really well liked in Latonia. Kinda had a few tough season there and resigned two years ago.

 

Eric Goetz is there now and he'll be a good one. He does a great job but still has to prove something.

Champ Ligon is a name that has not been mentioned yet. He had some very good squads at Shelby Co. and is now putting together some very good squads at Bryan Station, they are just unfortunate in that they are in the tough 11th and in the same district as Hicks and Scott Co.

How has nobody mentioned the Coach who will be on the sideline for the All-American game tonight, for the second time...

Billy Hicks, Rodney Woods, Mike Deaton

Billy Hicks, Rodney Woods, Mike Deaton

This would make Corbin the cradle of coaches.

How has nobody mentioned the Coach who will be on the sideline for the All-American game tonight, for the second time...

If you are talking about Forest you may have a point. He said his Oldham Co program is better than Scott County's program.

Champ Ligon is a name that has not been mentioned yet. He had some very good squads at Shelby Co. and is now putting together some very good squads at Bryan Station, they are just unfortunate in that they are in the tough 11th and in the same district as Hicks and Scott Co.

Great point.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.