Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Coach in the State?

Featured Replies

I didn't know much about Wayne Breeden prior to this year, but he got the best of Tony Hopper this season, and IMO Hopper had a little more talent. He's opened my eyes, considering that I think very highly of Tony Hopper.
Apollo had the best player in Brown, but the loss of Duvall was big and I thought Owensboro had a little more talent and athleticism.

 

Owensboro did beat Apollo three times in four meetings, but one was in overtime and each win was decided by two points.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Top 10

1. Billy Hicks - Scott Co.

2. Tim Riley - Warren Central

3. Dale Mabry - PRP

4. Mike Listerman - Cov. Cath

5. Steve Wright - South Laurel

6. Alan Feldhaus - Madison Central

7. Alan Hatcher - Graves Co.

8. Bill Mike Runyon - Paintsville

9. Chris Renner - Ballard

10. (best young coach) Scott Humphrey - GRC

A lot of coaches would love to have the talent some of your guys have ...

Funny thing is that if you ask almost anyone with HS basketball knowledge in NKY, Mike Listerman usually finds himself behind a handful of other coaches.

 

Willie Schlarman-Highlands

Mike Code-Brosart

Dave Faust-St. Henry

Dave Henly-Holmes

Jim Hicks-Conner

 

Not to mention his former assistants Ryan Schrand and Dick Maile.

Apollo had the best player in Brown, but the loss of Duvall was big and I thought Owensboro had a little more talent and athleticism.

 

Owensboro did beat Apollo three times in four meetings, but one was in overtime and each win was decided by two points.

 

I agree two very close teams, I was at all of those games except the regional final. Apollo got up on OHS by about 24 in the 1st half of their first game, but OHS came all the way back to within 1 and made a game of it. They played nip and tuck the rest of the season.

 

As far as Duvall, his absence hurt, but I think others steped up and really helped to make up for his loss. Carlos Alas became a legit scoring threat, and Justin Little had a pretty good season. Not to mention Jeff Evans really played well as a senior considering that he had very little varsity experience prior to this year. Duvall's absence hurt most from the standpoint of depth.

 

The worst thing about the situation is that Duvall sat out of the basketball season because Purdue asked him to. A lot of Eagles fans blame Joe Tiller on costing them a chance to go back to Rupp.

In my opinion, I said this last weekend while sitting behind him at Rupp Arena, Tim Riley is the best darn coach the state has to offer. He teaches defense and team ball. I've never seen a Warren Central Riley team have a ballhog or a bad defender. They always hustle and all seem to have their heads on straight. Not to mention he must have hired one heck of a weight trainer because his boys get big over 4 years. Love the work ethic they have.

 

If I was to start a school in KY he would be my first choice, with Dave Fuast, Mike Code, and up and coming coach Brad Carr of Scott as my assistants. Wishful thinking right?

In my opinion, I said this last weekend while sitting behind him at Rupp Arena, Tim Riley is the best darn coach the state has to offer. He teaches defense and team ball. I've never seen a Warren Central Riley team have a ballhog or a bad defender. They always hustle and all seem to have their heads on straight. Not to mention he must have hired one heck of a weight trainer because his boys get big over 4 years. Love the work ethic they have.

 

If I was to start a school in KY he would be my first choice, with Dave Fuast, Mike Code, and up and coming coach Brad Carr of Scott as my assistants. Wishful thinking right?

I agree with much of your assessment of Riley. I don't know a thing about Carr, but your other three guys are all excellent coaches.
  • Author
Interesting that virtually everyone mentioned on here coaches at a very large school, with a wealth of talent year after year?? Does talent really make the coach??

 

I think a lot of the best coaches may start as smaller schools but work their way up with ideas of winning a state title. Billy Hicks started at a small school.

 

I did name some guys like Dodd and Runyon. Tony Petrowski does a great job at Corbin, a 2A school in the past. Also, I dont know what Wayne Co is, but I know the talent pool isnt great there. Rodney Woods is an awesome coach! And born and raised in Bell County.:D

Interesting that virtually everyone mentioned on here coaches at a very large school, with a wealth of talent year after year?? Does talent really make the coach??

 

Coach Hicks started at Evarts and worked his way to SC. That says a lot.

A lot of coaches would love to have the talent some of your guys have ...

 

I'll give you that Mackey is a natural talent, Lee is a natural athlete. The rest of the guys on this team are good because they were developed by Coach Hicks and the other coaches in the program.

 

The 3 kids at Tilghman have way more athletic ability than anyone but Mackey on SC's team... Coach Hicks would have made sure he developed a couple of guards to be able to dribble and shoot to go along with them.

 

The great coaches get the most out of the talent they have.

Mike Code is NOT the best coach in the state.

 

It will be interesting to see how he can mode together a team that lost a great deal of seniors from this years team.

A lot of coaches would love to have the talent some of your guys have ...

 

Exactly...

I'll give you that Mackey is a natural talent, Lee is a natural athlete. The rest of the guys on this team are good because they were developed by Coach Hicks and the other coaches in the program.

 

The 3 kids at Tilghman have way more athletic ability than anyone but Mackey on SC's team... Coach Hicks would have made sure he developed a couple of guards to be able to dribble and shoot to go along with them.

 

The great coaches get the most out of the talent they have.

You have to also give credit to whoever worked with these kids prior to getting to high school. I doubt Walls or Hundley were projects when they showed up as Freshman at Scott Co.

 

Many parents, siblings, and AAU coaches get kids started teaching proper fundamentals as early as 2nd and 3rd grade.

 

The best coaches in my opinion make overachievers out of their players, but talent definately can also help make the coach.

I'll give you that Mackey is a natural talent, Lee is a natural athlete. The rest of the guys on this team are good because they were developed by Coach Hicks and the other coaches in the program.

 

The 3 kids at Tilghman have way more athletic ability than anyone but Mackey on SC's team... Coach Hicks would have made sure he developed a couple of guards to be able to dribble and shoot to go along with them.

 

The great coaches get the most out of the talent they have.

Is that a slam on Tilghman, Yoda? No one has touted Tilghman's coach here or even brought them into the discussion.

 

Besides, Tilghman has less than half the kids that Scott County has to draw from ... I'm sure the Tornado could find a couple of more guards if they could double their enrollment.

Is that a slam on Tilghman, Yoda? No one has touted Tilghman's coach here or even brought them into the discussion.

 

Besides, Tilghman has less than half the kids that Scott County has to draw from ... I'm sure the Tornado could find a couple of more guards if they could double their enrollment.

 

It's no more of a slam than to belittle Coach Hicks ability simply because SC is a larger school. But yes, I was trying to needle you a bit. :D Really it was just an observation. I think Coach Hicks could have won the state with Ballard's team, Holmes' team, and would have given it a run with Tilghman if he'd been there a few years because they would be able to do more than just run and jump. I'd be willing to bet there are a couple of good guards walking the hallways at PT. No proof other than what I've played against when I've visited Noble Park though...

  • Author
Is that a slam on Tilghman, Yoda? No one has touted Tilghman's coach here or even brought them into the discussion.

 

Besides, Tilghman has less than half the kids that Scott County has to draw from ... I'm sure the Tornado could find a couple of more guards if they could double their enrollment.

 

I don't see it as a slam. What I see it as, is Coach Hicks is a top tier coach that very few guys in the state are at. And Coach Hicks is known for developing talent. Everyone knows about all the basketball camps he has in the summer. He does a great job with them as far as beginning to teach them fundamentals and how to play.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.