Barnhart Must Go

dogman

I am glad that you are satisfied w/ mediocrity but I am not!! If i am not suppose to assume that next year would have been bad?? How can you assume that it would be good?? That is your own personal opinion!! As you have yours, I have mine!! AGAIN here is my opinion on why Tubby should have left & the reason's why I am glad of it!!

1. Lost to vandy 4 (2 @ rupp) times straight & florida 6 (3 @ rupp)

2. Last 2 8 seeds & lost in 2nd round

3. Cannot beat a top 25 team (Kansas was a much better team than UK)

4. No final 4s in 9 years (longest drought)

5. imo, our roster is full of MEDIOCRE PLAYERS!!! he did get tayshaun, hayes, bogans, morris but they are not close to Mashburn, Walker, Chapman, Sheppard, Delk, Magloire (recruited by Pitino), Nazr, Padgett, Pope, Anderson, etc. (other players in previous 10 yrs)

6. imo, I do not like the style & the games are boring!!

7. He's gotten almost 2 mil per year for several years & while loading his pockets, he's put the program in shambles!! The moral guy, also took another 1.5 mil for the road.

8. He has won 20 games BUT look at the comparison of W/L record against top 25 teams & all others. We consistently beat EKU, Iona, etc but we have not faired well against the likes of the all mighty Vanderbilt Commodores

9. We were the FOURTH SEED in the SEC EAST!!!!!!

10. Don't give me a turd & call is rose

20 win seasons do not mean what they used to with more games being played.

Especially when 20 win teams from major conferences are not making the tournament.

And yes next year would have been worse.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby never won less than 20 games, never went to the NIT, and never went 1 and out in the NCAA. The next coach will not be able to say that. You can say that Tubby left it in shambles, however, it wouldn't have been had he stayed. You can't assume that next year would have been the first for the things above for Tubby, but it will be now.

I can't wait for the NIT berth next year to be blamed on Tubby. Priceless.

Good post.

Rupp also had to play during the dynasty of Wooden!! Wooden won championships w/ players like Walton, Alcinder, etc. He didnt win it just for his coaching ability alone.

Rupp only made the Final Four once during the Wooden era. If its about Final Fours, that stat doesn't help him at all.

Rupp only made the Final Four once during the Wooden era. If its about Final Fours, that stat doesn't help him at all.

the tournament has not been set up the same as it is today. it has changed over time & the same rules do not apply. Rupps overall record was 879 wins & only 190 losses. He won 4 national championships but not until the 1940s & 50s did it exist & even then it was to the privileged few. KY was kicked out of the SEC & NCAA one year & declined an invitation another.

Comparing Rupp to Wooden would be a lot closer than comparing Rupp to Tub b/c they are not even in the same state much less zip code.

the tournament has not been set up the same as it is today. it has changed over time & the same rules do not apply. Rupps overall record was 879 wins & only 190 losses. He won 4 national championships but not until the 1940s & 50s did it exist & even then it was to the privileged few. KY was kicked out of the SEC & NCAA one year & declined an invitation another.

Comparing Rupp to Wooden would be a lot closer than comparing Rupp to Tub b/c they are not even in the same state much less zip code.

I agree that comparisons across eras is difficult(sometimes wrong, sometimes not), but you did post that "Rupp had to play during the dynasty of Wooden!!"

I do think that looking at Rupps later years, many critisims can be brought up, and the lack of final fours is one. Plus, one did not need to win four games to get to the final four either, as there were not 64 teams until 1985 I think. In the grand scheme, I don't have a problem with anyone upset UK has only been to one final four under Tubby Smith, but I think people should take a closer look at the last 20 or so years under Rupp, and see similar results as the past 10 years.

Rupp was in poor health the last part of his career & did retire in '72. from what i remember he only lost 10 games in a season once or twice & was usually in the top 10 in the polls at seasons end. For whatever reason, the national championships didnt mean as much until the dynasty started w/ UCLA in the 60's & 70's.

Change is sometimes a good thing for both parties. For Tub & UK it is great!!

Rupp was in poor health the last part of his career & did retire in '72. from what i remember he only lost 10 games in a season once or twice & was usually in the top 10 in the polls at seasons end. For whatever reason, the national championships didnt mean as much until the dynasty started w/ UCLA in the 60's & 70's.

And the quality of the SEC during the Rupp years and presently, is NO COMPARISON.

You bring up a really good point right there. The NIT used to be a bigger deal than the NCAA. The thing is, from what you said, and not saying it's wrong, one can deduce that the majority (4 out of 7) of UK's National Championships really don't mean as much.

I am glad that you are satisfied w/ mediocrity but I am not!! If i am not suppose to assume that next year would have been bad?? How can you assume that it would be good?? That is your own personal opinion!! As you have yours, I have mine!! AGAIN here is my opinion on why Tubby should have left & the reason's why I am glad of it!!

Give me a coach that wins 77% of his games, stands behind his coaches and players, represents our state school with class and dignity, and I can put up with two mediocre years (keep in mind, his mediocre year was a 2nd round NCAA loss; UCONN's mediocre year was an NIT snub, UNC's mediocre year was missing the tourney, UCLA missed it for years...perspective my friends, perspective).

I can't wait until the next coach tries to recruit a talented inner-city player and opposing coaches point out that UK's irrational fan base just ran off one of the classiest men in America. Yeah...that should go well.

You guys got what you wanted...Tubby is gone...enjoy it.

Mitch Barnhart has done a ton of good things at UK and some goof-ball that you run into in Hawaii not liking him doesn't change his tenure here.

Give me a coach that wins 77% of his games, stands behind his coaches and players, represents our state school with class and dignity, and I can put up with two mediocre years (keep in mind, his mediocre year was a 2nd round NCAA loss; UCONN's mediocre year was an NIT snub, UNC's mediocre year was missing the tourney, UCLA missed it for years...perspective my friends, perspective).

I can't wait until the next coach tries to recruit a talented inner-city player and opposing coaches point out that UK's irrational fan base just ran off one of the classiest men in America. Yeah...that should go well.

You guys got what you wanted...Tubby is gone...enjoy it.

Mitch Barnhart has done a ton of good things at UK and some goof-ball that you run into in Hawaii not liking him doesn't change his tenure here.

And to add to the bolded something I posted a while ago, you could see ran university that the media has portrayed as built by a racist runs off an African American coach that by all means was successful and now you are in the home of an African American trying to sell that university while the other schools are reminding you how this fan based was portrayed in Glory Road and treated Tubby.

The next coach faces some potential interesting obstacles in recruiting.