Covington Catholic 72 Highlands 62

Congratulations to Willie and the Birds on winding up a season filled with adversity on top of their games here in the regional tournament.

CovCath couldn't put them away. 57-54 with two and change to play.

The Birds were victimized by inbounds plays and missed some shots in crunch time.

Hopefully, they will build on this and have smoother sailing in 07-08.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The second half was very ugly. The number of missed layups, free throws and the turnovers just kept mounting.

Earlier in the year someone posted that this was a down year for N. Ky. and after watching both games last night I must agree.

The Holmes-St. Henry game was poorly played also. Neither team could make a foul shot and St. Henry's normallty excellent ball handling went South. Holmes, as usual, shot poorly from beyond 8 feet and finally decided to just take it inside and use their superior jumping ability and strength to take over the game. I look for a great game tonight, but whomever survives had better bring their "A" game in the State Tournament.

Great effort by the 'Birds. I knew this wouldn't be the blowout some were predicting. I think I saw a few predictions that were a little crazy, "CCH by 20+" or (and I loved this one, thanks Neersfan)... "CCH names the score".

There was a crucial technical called late in the 4th period on a HHS player going after a defensive rebound. It was never clearly explained on the telecast. TV said it was on Luke Stein...my son, at the game, thought it was on Zach Hurtt. I didn't see anything on the TV that warranted a "T". My question is why was it called? It really squashed the valiant comeback that the Birds were attempting.

It was on #33, Zach Hurtt. After Stein went over the back the CCH guy may or may not have pushed him, Hurtt retaliated (or not) with a little push and got the 'T'. I couldn't tell from where I was if the CCH guy pushed or not but I do know that was what Stein was complaining to the ref about. Burkart definitely went to the scorers table and gave the 'T' to 33...

It was really an unnecessary technical but when will kids learn that the second guy in is always the one that gets caught...

Highlands played very well tonight but couldn't pull it out. Comgrats to CCH and on to the finals against my Dawgs. CCh looked decent tonight but they must tighten things up b/c Holmes won't miss the same oppurtunities Highlands did.

It sounds like the Holmes St.Henry thread that Holmes shot just as well (or poorly) Cov. Cath did from the foul line. With that said, both will show up playing their A game, will be a war.

Actually, in the first half CovCath shot quite well - 6/10 from beyond the arc is impressive and it seemed that they got a big bucket whenever they needed one.

Despite this the Birds were able to keep it close and made a great game of it.

Earlier in the year someone posted that this was a down year for N. Ky. and after watching both games last night I must agree.

This would have been a great year to have a "reunion" 9th Region Tournament.

Bringing back Brossart, Scott, and Simon Kenton would have spiced up the tournament considerably.

Congrats CCH. Birds, I'm extremely proud of your effort. Great game and great effort. While CCH was clearly the more talented team, with a few breaks, you could be advancing because of your hustle. Seniors, move on knowing that you gave it your all. Juniors and undersclassmen, get in the gym and start practicing right away. What you do now dictates how successful you'll be next winter. Again, congrats to both teams. Good luck to both CCH and Holmes. Whomever wins, go to Rupp with a chip on your shoulder and prove that our Region is not as poor as everyone claims it to be. Attitude and hustle can take you a long way in that tournament.