AAU Tourney time

Qryche11

March is the season for the AAU State Tournament. Many teams are holding pre-state tourneys to prepare. Lets hear how some of the top teams around the state are preparing for this tournament.

The NKY Rockets 12U are finally able to practice together this week and just finished Runner up in a tournament out at NKU this weekend. Defeated NKY Firehawks by 20+ and beat the Campbell Co. Kings at the buzzer last night in the semis 53-51 on a 3-banger by Michael Beuter with 1 second left. Lost a tough battle in the finals to the NKY Nets 48-39. A couple starters sat the 1st and 2nd half due to injuries but was still a valiant effort. Georgetown tournament on March9th should provide some more excellent competition for this age group.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March is the season for the AAU State Tournament. Many teams are holding pre-state tourneys to prepare. Lets hear how some of the top teams around the state are preparing for this tournament.

The NKY Rockets 12U are finally able to practice together this week and just finished Runner up in a tournament out at NKU this weekend. Defeated NKY Firehawks by 20+ and beat the Campbell Co. Kings at the buzzer last night in the semis 53-51 on a 3-banger by Michael Beuter with 1 second left. Lost a tough battle in the finals to the NKY Nets 48-39. A couple starters sat the 1st and 2nd half due to injuries but was still a valiant effort. Georgetown tournament on March9th should provide some more excellent competition for this age group.

Keep us posted

Rockets were 6th, they are all Ft. thomas kids. The Jazz I believe were 5th graders. The team that put the tournament on and sponsors it every year is the NKY Jazz group of Jr's this year. Guys like Simons/Stein/Eaton from Highlands, Sorrell-HC, Kendall/Mace/ from Dixie, Roberts- Moeller, and a few other studs. From what I hear they will be traveling to a lot of tournaments this summer all over the country.

The top sixth grade AAU teams in the state:

1) The Ville (made up of players from Louisville and Lexington)

2) Northern Ky Tarheels (made up of players from N. Ky, Louisville, and Cincinnati)

3) Georgetown Thunder (from Scott Co., Pendelton Co., and Lexington)

4) Louisville Suns (from Louisville)

5) Louisville Rising Stars (from Louisville)

6) Somerset Future (Somerset middle school team?)

7) Louisville Storm (from Louisville)

8) Lexington Trotters (Mainly Lexington Catholic plus other Lex players)

9) Louisville The Truth (from Louisville)

10) Northern Ky Nets ( not sure where all the players are from)

* Central Kentucky Warriors 5th Grade/11U (Lexinton, N. Ky,and Indiana)

* N. Ky Rockets (mainly from Ft. Thomas)

2) Northern Ky Tarheels (made up of players from N. Ky, Louisville, and Cincinnati)

The Ville beat the Tarheels at Hoops in Louisville this weekend in the championship.

Georgetown Thunder beat Somerset Future in the championship game in

the BCI tournament in Florence.

A pretty good list there Uncle. Its tough to say who is the best at this point. NKY Tarheels are well coached by Pouncy and he gets the best out of those undersized kids. Somerset is fundamentally strong atleast they were in last year's state tourney. Louisville Suns were very big and had a nice guard who I thought was from South Laurel.

The NkY Rockets if you go off of last year, they defeated G-town thunder and Louisville truth in the State tourney as well as the NKY Nets in league play. Eventually lost to Div2 champ Somerset.

The NKY Nets have kids from mainly Boone Co I believe. A really good Center who attends Ockerman but had on Ryle Sweats when we played them last week. Another kid who is a stud athlete who attends Beechwood.

NKY Rockets played the Louisville rising stars in a scrimmage at BCI tourney when the Truth didnt show and they have a couple studs who look like they are 15 yrs old.

Havent seen the Ville yet.

Weekend of March 9th there is a very competetive Tournament at Georgetown sponsored by the Thunder.

Teams attending are G-town,Corbin, South Oldham, Mountain Thunder, Campbell Kings, NKy rockets, Lex Trotters, Lex Ice, Louisville storm, and a few others. Should be a good tourney.

There will be a very good tournament this weekend in Florence BCI.

Some heavy hitters in the 12U from what I've heard.

12 Teams supposedly Cincy Lakers, Cincy Playmakers, NKY Tarheels,

Georgetown Thunder, NKY Nets, Campbell Co. Kings, Mountain Thunder,

South Laurel, Louisville Fury, Mason county and two others that I can't remember. I will be there to take it all in.

There will be a very good tournament this weekend in Florence BCI.

Some heavy hitters in the 12U from what I've heard.

12 Teams supposedly Cincy Lakers, Cincy Playmakers, NKY Tarheels,

Georgetown Thunder, NKY Nets, Campbell Co. Kings, Mountain Thunder,

South Laurel, Louisville Fury, Mason county and two others that I can't remember. I will be there to take it all in.

Looks more Like a Super Regional than a State Tournament!

What a tune up for AAU state tournament later in March.

3) Georgetown Thunder (from Scott Co., Pendleton Co., and Lexington)

Georgetown Thunder has already played and beat five of the teams above this year. They defeated the Suns, Somerset Future, the Storm, the Nets and Central Kentucky Warriors.

Georgetown Thunder has already played and beat four of the teams above this year. They defeated the Suns, Somerset Future, the Storm and Central Kentucky Warriors.

Correction,Thunder has not played the Nets.

The Suns have officially disbanded with a couple of their big kids joining the Ville.

The Ville are the team to beat this year. They have combined players from last years Rising Stars team and the Lexington Blaze. A very solid team. The Georgetown Thunder added player from the Trotters that make them a tall, quick team. The N. Ky Tarheels added a player from Louisville Rising Stars, had one of their old players return, and I think they added a kid from Cincinnati. Anyways, these three teams are the ones to beat. The Louisville Suns even though they lost the guard from South Laurel are pretty solid ( they added another good guard) and I think Somerset can compete with anyone. I have heard that Somerset's big man broke his arm and will miss the state tournament. Somerset beat Georgetown with there big man earlier this year, but lost to them this past weekend in Florance.

I would guess we will get a better idea after this weekend. The BCI tourney looks loaded. I know South Laurel is a good team also, but they are not an AAU team (too many holdbacks). I look forward to hearing about the BCI results.

Correction,Thunder has not played the Nets.

The Suns have officially disbanded with a couple of their big kids joining the Ville.

What happened? I had heard they were playing well this year, but I had not seen their team in the Hoops (wherethegameis.com) tournaments lately.