AAU Tourney time

Qryche11

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened? I had heard they were playing well this year, but I had not seen their team in the Hoops (wherethegameis.com) tournaments lately.

Uncle Joe I am not quite sure what has happened to the Suns.

I know the guard from S.Laurel has been playing with the Ville the last

2-3 weeks.

What did you think of the Lakers? :scared:

They play football as well. The are beatable as the Tar Heels knocked them off a few weeks back but they have some major size.

The Lakers were not that impressive this weekend. Who knows maybe they just had a bad weekend? But you were right about the big kid. He is BIG!

I think I have seen him play with the Cincy Tigers earlier last year.

The have to be a good football if the big fella plays.

The Playmakers defeated the Kings by 35 and the Tarheels beet the Lakers in the semis this past weekend.

Playmakers defeated Tarheels by 30 in the Finals.

The Lakers were not that impressive this weekend. Who knows maybe they just had a bad weekend? But you were right about the big kid. He is BIG!

I think I have seen him play with the Cincy Tigers earlier last year.

The have to be a good football if the big fella plays.

The Playmakers defeated the Kings by 35 and the Tarheels beet the Lakers in the semis this past weekend.

Playmakers defeated Tarheels by 30 in the Finals.

I agree the Lakers are huge but not very good shooters and basiclly pound it inside or drive to the goal for all of their points. Their guards can be harassed for steals as well.

I heard Gtown went 2-2 losing to the Kings and Tar Heels and beating Fleming Co and S. Laurel.

2nd/8U and 4th/10U AAU state tournaments are posted. At this age coaching plays the major role in wins and losses IMO. But, they are fun to watch.

My picks:

2nd/8U- Lexington Colonels and Southwestern Sonics

4th/10U D1- C. Ky Tigers and Louisville Legends

Sleeper: Lexington Colonels

4th Grade D2- The Ville, Somerset Future, or N Ky Wolfpack

Sleeper: Albany Bulldogs

Uncle Joe - Have you heard anything about the NKY Hornets (4th Grade D1)? I believe they just played in a tournaments at Hoops (Louisville) and played teams like Lexington Colonels and The Ville. I believe they finished second to The Ville?

Uncle Joe - Have you heard anything about the NKY Hornets (4th Grade D1)? I believe they just played in a tournaments at Hoops (Louisville) and played teams like Lexington Colonels and The Ville. I believe they finished second to The Ville?

I have not seen the Hornets play this year, but have heard that they are a pretty good team. They have had close wins against the Wolfpack, so they are probably the best team in NKy.

I have not seen the Hornets play this year, but have heard that they are a pretty good team. They have had close wins against the Wolfpack, so they are probably the best team in NKy.

Thanks Uncle Joe. One more question. After looking at the game schedule and brackets on http://www.kyhoops.org, why are there so many Div2 teams (18) versus Div 1 (5). I would have thought teams like TheVille and Wolfpack would have signed up for Div 1. Any thoughts? Do they know something the Hornets don't?

NKY Hornets 4th are kids mainly from Ft. thomas/Southgate/Cold Spring I believe. Bo Hoge (Merril's son), Jackson Hall, Zach Pangallo, Drew McDonald, Griffin Urlage are a few I know of. Bo is very athletic, go figure. McDonald is very good and big for 4th grade. Havent seen them play much but they do play a ton of games in a ton of tournaments. Bo is actually playing up with our Spring team 12U.

NKY Hornets 4th are kids mainly from Ft. thomas/Southgate/Cold Spring I believe. Bo Hoge (Merril's son), Jackson Hall, Zach Pangallo, Drew McDonald, Griffin Urlage are a few I know of. Bo is very athletic, go figure. McDonald is very good and big for 4th grade. Havent seen them play much but they do play a ton of games in a ton of tournaments. Bo is actually playing up with our Spring team 12U.

He should succeed playing 12 and under considering the fact that he will be turning 11 in the middle of April. The grade exceptions definitely aid this team tremendously and they should definitely be a force in the state tournament.

He should succeed playing 12 and under considering the fact that he will be turning 11 in the middle of April. The grade exceptions definitely aid this team tremendously and they should definitely be a force in the state tournament.

I didnt go there but was thinking similar thoughts. I know they limit you on 3 Grade excptions and I have to believe Mcdonald might be one with his size and possibly Urlage as he is a bigger 4th grader. Check your PM.

Grade exceptions at the lower age group levels are the rule not the exception. I would guess most of the better teams at U10 have the max of 3 grade exceptions. It's not only the height of these players but their physical strength that gives them an edge. The 3 U10 teams I'm familiar with (coached against 2- Wolfpack and Cincy Knights- , know the kids on the third - Hornets) all have great size and strength.

I didnt go there but was thinking similar thoughts. I know they limit you on 3 Grade excptions and I have to believe Mcdonald might be one with his size and possibly Urlage as he is a bigger 4th grader. Check your PM.

The McDonald kid is not an age exception. He is just a very big kids for his age.

Thanks Uncle Joe. One more question. After looking at the game schedule and brackets on http://www.kyhoops.org, why are there so many Div2 teams (18) versus Div 1 (5). I would have thought teams like TheVille and Wolfpack would have signed up for Div 1. Any thoughts? Do they know something the Hornets don't?
D2 is more for school/community teams and all star teams that are new to AAU (teams wanting to "test the AAU waters"). Some teams play D2 to have a better chance at medaling at the D2 national tournament (sometimes known as sandbaggers at the state level). There is always a team that should be playing D1 that plays down in the D2 tournament.

Should the Ville be playing D1? Probably. But, they could be looking beyond state and trying to get a bid for the D2 nationals. Should the Hornets be playing D2? They sound like they would be a ligitimate D2 team being mostly a school team (although AAU places no regulations as to who is a D1 or D2 team. Any team in AAU could play D1 or D2 state. You must qualify for nationals). But, I always appreciate a team that is willing to step up to the challenge of D1 and it sound like the Hornets have a team capable of playing at that level.

AAU allows the local district to choose between 3 options as to how the state tournament is set up. The way the Kentucky AAU chooses to have there state tournament benifits the D2 more than the D1 as far as the number of teams. Ohio chooses to have a D1 tournament and later has a D2 tournament for the teams that did not qualify for D1 nationals. They tend to have more teams play in the D1 than the D2 ( but not always). Kentucky also has there state tournament in march when school teams have recently finished there season. Ohio has there D2 state in late May/early June when more teams are playing for national bids (not good for school teams).

D2 is more for school/community teams and all star teams that are new to AAU (teams wanting to "test the AAU waters"). Some teams play D2 to have a better chance at medaling at the D2 national tournament (sometimes known as sandbaggers at the state level). There is always a team that should be playing D1 that plays down in the D2 tournament.

Should the Ville be playing D1? Probably. But, they could be looking beyond state and trying to get a bid for the D2 nationals. Should the Hornets be playing D2? They sound like they would be a ligitimate D2 team being mostly a school team (although AAU places no regulations as to who is a D1 or D2 team. Any team in AAU could play D1 or D2 state. You must qualify for nationals). But, I always appreciate a team that is willing to step up to the challenge of D1 and it sound like the Hornets have a team capable of playing at that level.

AAU allows the local district to choose between 3 options as to how the state tournament is set up. The way the Kentucky AAU chooses to have there state tournament benifits the D2 more than the D1 as far as the number of teams. Ohio chooses to have a D1 tournament and later has a D2 tournament for the teams that did not qualify for D1 nationals. They tend to have more teams play in the D1 than the D2 ( but not always). Kentucky also has there state tournament in march when school teams have recently finished there season. Ohio has there D2 state in late May/early June when more teams are playing for national bids (not good for school teams).

Good Luck to all teams going down to Lexington to play in the State Tourney. Please report back and let us all know how you did.