Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Needed - KHSAA Football Improvements

Featured Replies

15 hours ago, Ram said:

Oh how the tides have turned.  Product of being around BGP so long. I remember a time, not that long ago, I was in the minority for speaking of such things.  Now, others carry the torch. 

Four classes is what Kentucky should have, coming from a fan of a program that has obviously benefited from the six class system. For most, doing better in a watered down system doesn’t mean as much. 

The KHSAA needs to stop over-regulating so much. But as long as schools can vote to try to improve their own position, it will continue. 

It’s not a popular opinion, but to get better, you have to prioritize getting better. Are some schools in a situation where they will not be able to beat the good teams in their class?  Yes, there are those schools now, and there would be those schools in a two class system, a three class system, and a four class system.  Sorry, not everyone gets to win a State Championship. 

Which is precisely why I wish districts would just be done away with.

  • 11 game regular season. Schedule as necessary. Ie: For the non 'usual suspects' (which there are much more of than not)? Have a group coming through that could make a run? Schedule a little tougher. Have a group, like most years, where .500 would be a 'Super Bowl' type seasons for a 2 year cycle? Do that. AND, the 11th game would appease the 'deserve a playoff game crowd'. Except this way? It'd mean likely be a competitive game, for both, instead of getting boat raced in the 1st half.
  • Bring back, establish area "Conferences" if need be of 7-8 teams. If you're a "P4" type program and that conference is "weak"? Ok. So schedule the other few games vs. other "P4's".
  • RPI/CalPreps, whichever, the Top 8 in each class make the playoffs. I don't know why it's so hard to be honest with ourselves in regards to THAT being the MAX of programs in each class, each year, that have a legit shot in making/winning the finals as is. And, if we are being REALLY honest with ourselves, it's about HALF of that or less...every year, every class, before Week 1 even kicks off.
  • 1st round of the playoffs begin at what now is the week of the region title (which that would be, as it was years ago when just the district champs went).

Because the way it is now? In many of our districts, across all classes?

Just imagine..... if , Ohio State was in a 4-6 team district with Maryland, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo & Kent State. (and, for some districts, replace Maryland with Penn State).

Now, imagine if you're the 5 other schools NOT in Columbus, O-H-I-O, vying for the 3 other playoff spots, knowing that IF YOU make the playoffs? It's inevitable that you are playing Tennessee and/or Georgia in the 1st or 2nd round at max.  

...actually, correction, Tennessee or Georgia are having a "practice" against you. You're just the scout team. 

That'd be a lot of fun to watch, wouldn't it? A lot of guess work would be needed there each year to figure out whose coming out of that every fall for sure. ?

 

  • Replies 90
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Several states do different types of co-op programs. I think its a good idea, but before doing so, I'd like to see the KHSAA try eight-man football for the smallest schools. It was officially sanction

  • As most of you know, I am a Beechwood grad/guy.  Additionally, I think we all recognize how amazing the football program at CAL has been the last few years.  So if we are trying to do something like t

  • I think it’s hilarious that everyone gets so up in arms over first round playoff blowouts. Guess what there are blowouts every week in the regular season where teams are very mismatched. Are we going

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

Which is precisely why I wish districts would just be done away with.

  • 11 game regular season. Schedule as necessary. Ie: For the non 'usual suspects' (which there are much more of than not)? Have a group coming through that could make a run? Schedule a little tougher. Have a group, like most years, where .500 would be a 'Super Bowl' type seasons for a 2 year cycle? Do that. AND, the 11th game would appease the 'deserve a playoff game crowd'. Except this way? It'd mean likely be a competitive game, for both, instead of getting boat raced in the 1st half.
  • Bring back, establish area "Conferences" if need be of 7-8 teams. If you're a "P4" type program and that conference is "weak"? Ok. So schedule the other few games vs. other "P4's".
  • RPI/CalPreps, whichever, the Top 8 in each class make the playoffs. I don't know why it's so hard to be honest with ourselves in regards to THAT being the MAX of programs in each class, each year, that have a legit shot in making/winning the finals as is. And, if we are being REALLY honest with ourselves, it's about HALF of that or less...every year, every class, before Week 1 even kicks off.
  • 1st round of the playoffs begin at what now is the week of the region title (which that would be, as it was years ago when just the district champs went).

Because the way it is now? In many of our districts, across all classes?

Just imagine if...let's take if , Ohio State was in a 4-6 team district with Maryland, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo & Kent State. (and, for some districts, replace Maryland with Penn State).

Now, imagine if you're the 5 other schools NOT in Columbus, O-H-I-O, vying for the 3 other playoff spots, knowing that IF YOU make the playoffs? It's inevitable that you are playing Tennessee and/or Georgia in the 1st or 2nd round at max.  

...actually, correction, Tennessee or Georgia are having a "practice" against you. You're just the scout team. 

That'd be a lot of fun to watch, wouldn't it? A lot of guess work would be needed there each year to figure out whose coming out of that every fall for sure. ?

 

I'd be good with top 16 make playoffs. That ensures most all teams with winning record get in.

9 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd be good with top 16 make playoffs. That ensures most all teams with winning record get in.

Or...those next 8? That 12th game is a 'Bowl' type game. 5-6 teams got a chance at a 6-6 year, 6-5 potentially to 7-5, etc. 

On 9/16/2025 at 6:13 PM, theguru said:

It also doesn't address the largest schools that are good. 

Some small schools and privates have gotten really good at navigating the student limit thresh hold.  I would love to see CAL's total enrollment from ALL of their campuses and see where that would put them in regards to classes. 

3 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Some small schools and privates have gotten really good at navigating the student limit thresh hold.  I would love to see CAL's total enrollment from ALL of their campuses and see where that would put them in regards to classes. 

If we did that with a school like Male they would probably be 20A. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd be good with top 16 make playoffs. That ensures most all teams with winning record get in.

I don't understand the "winning record" part of the conversation. Bowling Green is currently 0-4 with games against CAL and Franklin County remaining. Carroll County is 3-0 with opponents who are a combined 4-8. Which is the better team? If winning record became the qualifier, wouldn't a school like Bowling Green reduce their schedule, making the regular season less exciting? And who is lining up to play the Purples in a regular season game if their own winning record (and subsequent playoff berth) might be lost in the process?

19 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I don't understand the "winning record" part of the conversation. Bowling Green is currently 0-4 with games against CAL and Franklin County remaining. Carroll County is 3-0 with opponents who are a combined 4-8. Which is the better team? If winning record became the qualifier, wouldn't a school like Bowling Green reduce their schedule, making the regular season less exciting? And who is lining up to play the Purples in a regular season game if their own winning record (and subsequent playoff berth) might be lost in the process?

I don't think that is exactly what Tp94 was saying but I agree with your point on records. I think the overarching point is too many teams get in the KHSAA playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't think that is exactly what Tp94 was saying but I agree with your point on records. I think the overarching point is too many teams get in the KHSAA playoffs. 

Yeah, I quoted @Tigerpride94 but it was meant for all. I think we get records and quality mixed up. However, the geography and demographics of the state make it difficult to come up with a system that truly accomplishes everything we want. Truth be told, I'd imagine most every state in the country has similar conversations.

3 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

Or...those next 8? That 12th game is a 'Bowl' type game. 5-6 teams got a chance at a 6-6 year, 6-5 potentially to 7-5, etc. 

Never been a fan of an extra bowl game. I'd hate playing in one, and coaching in one. A 10 game season is fine, and if you don't make the playoffs, it's on to basketball, wrestling or whatever else you plan on doing in the winter. And I know those 1-4 playoff games are pretty meaningless too, which is why I'm totally ok with cutting the number of teams in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Yeah, I quoted @Tigerpride94 but it was meant for all. I think we get records and quality mixed up. However, the geography and demographics of the state make it difficult to come up with a system that truly accomplishes everything we want. Truth be told, I'd imagine most every state in the country has similar conversations.

Right, we all have some teams in mind every year that win a lot of games but the instant they come up against a quality team they get beat and sometimes crushed. 

51 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I don't understand the "winning record" part of the conversation. Bowling Green is currently 0-4 with games against CAL and Franklin County remaining. Carroll County is 3-0 with opponents who are a combined 4-8. Which is the better team? If winning record became the qualifier, wouldn't a school like Bowling Green reduce their schedule, making the regular season less exciting? And who is lining up to play the Purples in a regular season game if their own winning record (and subsequent playoff berth) might be lost in the process?

I didn't use winning record as qualification. I said top 16 teams and preferably by Calpreps ratings rather than RPI.

18 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I didn't use winning record as qualification. I said top 16 teams and preferably by Calpreps ratings rather than RPI.

Love it, Calpreps top 16 in each class and let's roll!

21 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I didn't use winning record as qualification. I said top 16 teams and preferably by Calpreps ratings rather than RPI.

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

Love it, Calpreps top 16 in each class and let's roll!

Additionally, I would be for using the TP94 Power ratings to determine the top 16 in each class as long as "we" could find a scientific way (probably Calpreps) to integrate games against out of state teams into the calculation.  

18 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Well I mean there’s a pretty obvious reason for that it takes only 5 to play basketball.

Yea, but the theory, as it stands, for football is:  the more boys you have in the school makes you more likely to have a better football team.  So, if we extrapolate that to basketball, wouldn't more boys in the hall mean you would have a better chance of having a better basketball team? 

Lest we forget, the whole six class system was born from no-one wanting to play Trinity and St. Xavier.  Which became this whole public vs. private debate, when really it was just Trinity and St. Xavier.  What people really wanted was Trinity and St. Xavier to be in their own class. 

Let's not kid ourselves. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.