Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The RPI system: positive results reflected in the finals.

Featured Replies

I am not a fan of RPI. I recognize three class #1s survived. The KHSAA must be happy with two 1 vs 5, two 2 vs 3, a 2 vs 4, and a 1 vs 3. Does the system need some tweaking, yes. The fact is Trinity earned about the same points beating Carmel, IN and St. Xavier, OH as defeating Barren County and Meade County. I am not convinced the KHSAA will acknowledge a few shortcomings exist.  

10 minutes ago, thsrocks said:

I am not a fan of RPI. I recognize three class #1s survived. The KHSAA must be happy with two 1 vs 5, two 2 vs 3, a 2 vs 4, and a 1 vs 3. Does the system need some tweaking, yes. The fact is Trinity earned about the same points beating Carmel, IN and St. Xavier, OH as defeating Barren County and Meade County. I am not convinced the KHSAA will acknowledge a few shortcomings exist.  

These matchups are a bit of the “end justifies the means”. Still not right. The KHSAA must correct a couple of the factors within the RPI process so that the “means” is more accurate and more respected. 

23 minutes ago, MBKT said:

These matchups are a bit of the “end justifies the means”. Still not right. The KHSAA must correct a couple of the factors within the RPI process so that the “means” is more accurate and more respected. 

Out of state competition & home teams for playoff rematches of regular season games need addressed.  Outside of that, it’s fine.

For all the hand wringing over RPI, what were the big misses or injustices everyone saw this past post season?

55 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Out of state competition & home teams for playoff rematches of regular season games need addressed.  Outside of that, it’s fine.

What's the issue with home teams for playoff rematches?

7 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

What's the issue with home teams for playoff rematches?

Instances like Central winning their district (which CAL is in) and the regular season matchup with CAL but then having to travel to them in the region final due to RPI. 

5 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Instances like Central winning their district (which CAL is in) and the regular season matchup with CAL but then having to travel to them in the region final due to RPI. 

Thanks. That would seem to be an easy fix. If two teams from the same district meet, order of district finish overrides RPI...if the KHSAA wanted to.

But being devil's advocate, teams should also be rewarded for playing tougher competition thus a higher RPI.

20 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Thanks. That would seem to be an easy fix. If two teams from the same district meet, order of district finish overrides RPI...if the KHSAA wanted to.

But being devil's advocate, teams should also be rewarded for playing tougher competition thus a higher RPI.

@DragonFireis correct.  I put more weight into the head-to-head than the “tougher schedule”.  Central didn’t exactly shy away from teams when scheduling either.  When you look at their schedule out of district, which was made 2 years ago, it’s pretty solid overall.

31 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Instances like Central winning their district (which CAL is in) and the regular season matchup with CAL but then having to travel to them in the region final due to RPI. 

I’m a CAL fan & don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what’s right is right & what’s fair is fair & Central earned the right to host that playoff game via their regular season win IMO.

I still don’t like RPI. I do have to say that this has been one of the best playoff seasons to follow from top to bottom from 1A-6A in a very good while. I never look forward to football season ending but this has been the most enjoyable one in a long time to me.

29 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

@DragonFireis correct.  I put more weight into the head-to-head than the “tougher schedule”.  Central didn’t exactly shy away from teams when scheduling either.  When you look at their schedule out of district, which was made 2 years ago, it’s pretty solid overall.

I don't disagree. The thing is though you have to make the rule blindly and unfortunately these things can happen. 

I'd say in nearly every instance besides this one (there may be another), the district winner also had the best RPI.

This was an exception that alone, shouldn't be the impetus for changing the system.

I can disagree with the RPI for similar reasons as above and the Central having to go on the road after beating CAL in the season is a glaring example. I will add that this is a damn good slate of Championship games though. 6A was a slaughterhouse all year but the cream of the crop settled at the top, same with 5A as far as getting the presumably top 2. 4A Boyle even with their out of state competition lost at home and blew their opportunity, FC and PT were very much in consideration to give them a competitive game. 2A is what we expected, and 1A KCD lost at home as well (RPI #1.)

I suppose if your module goes 5/6 you did a good enough job. Ready for a great weekend!

I don’t know if this is an RPI problem, but do feel the larger districts in numbers ( 5 or 6 teams) vs. some that only have 4 teams in a district are at a disadvantage earning a higher RPI through out the season.  
 

Someone please educate me whether this is the case or not because the RPI is still funny math to me.

RPI has its flaws but since it's use I'd argue the state title games have been more competitive and entertaining.

On 12/1/2024 at 11:18 AM, MBKT said:

These matchups are a bit of the “end justifies the means”.

This is true. It has worked out well, as @DanvilleFan also said, but the RPI still isn't a great metric. I wish they'd fix the out-of-state component (I know its tough, but Calpreps does it as well as other rating systems) and along with @DragonFire, I don't like a district champion playing at a district runner up like CAL/Central this year and Boyle/Lexington Catholic in 2022.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.