Campbell County 43 Newport 40 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

Final I watched the last 3 minutes it was fun to watch unlike the college game I won't taint this thread with. Campbell will take on Harlan County on Friday at 6:00pm.

The Camels were led by Broc Sorgenfrei with 12 and Garyn Jackson with 11. The Wildcats were led by James Turner with 14 Jabari Covington with 11 points. Campbell improves to 27-6 and Newport finishes a great season at 32-4 and can only wonder what would have been without the Taylen Kinney hamstring injury. Congrats to the Camels a well deserved win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s what I told several people after watching Campbell dismantle GRC in the regional semis. 

They may not pass the eye test.  But watch them play.  They shoot well. They take care of the ball. They get deflections.  They’re a smart, well-coached basketball team. 

• Like 7

I tried to tell people that this was a 50/50 game and the score was going to be within 3 points.  CC has been playing great basketball the last 12 games and it showed tonite.  Playing team ball and solid defense got the job done.  I just love Garyn Jacksons' game, 11pts, 6 boards, 4 assts and a steal.  Absolutely no fear and just plays like an energizer bunny!

Congrats to Coach Snapp and the Wildcats on a great season and with the entire team back next year they have a solid chance on getting right back there with a healthy Kinney who I hope heals up fully, but knowing what I know about hamstrings those need about 2-3 months to get remotely right. I know he's got a solid group of advisors around him but there is no way I would risk it playing AAU ball until it's fully healed. Wishing him the absolute best, great player.

For now I am pulling for CC to keep it going!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

I tried to tell people that this was a 50/50 game and the score was going to be within 3 points.  CC has been playing great basketball the last 12 games and it showed tonite.  Playing team ball and solid defense got the job done.  I just love Garyn Jacksons' game, 11pts, 6 boards, 4 assts and a steal.  Absolutely no fear and just plays like an energizer bunny!

Congrats to Coach Snapp and the Wildcats on a great season and with the entire team back next year they have a solid chance on getting right back there with a healthy Kinney who I hope heals up fully, but knowing what I know about hamstrings those need about 2-3 months to get remotely right. I know he's got a solid group of advisors around him but there is no way I would risk it playing AAU ball until it's fully healed. Wishing him the absolute best, great player.

For now I am pulling for CC to keep it going!

And could take as long as 6 or 7 months from the first injury to heal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

Congrats to Coach Snapp and the Wildcats on a great season and with the entire team back next year they have a solid chance on getting right back there

I thought Jabari Covington  and Deshaun Jackson  are both seniors this year??

11 minutes ago, BiggestFan said:

I thought Jabari Covington  and Deshaun Jackson  are both seniors this year??

I believe that's correct. But I did hear the incoming players will be even better than Covington and Jackson so I agree that next year with their replacements they will be again sitting in Lexington. Now will they win in Lexington? That's the million dollar question.

1 hour ago, BirdDaddy said:

I believe that's correct. But I did hear the incoming players will be even better than Covington and Jackson so I agree that next year with their replacements they will be again sitting in Lexington. Now will they win in Lexington? That's the million dollar question.

Maybe they will and maybe not. Remember that other teams will have “incoming” players as well. I’m sure CCH will have their annual newcomer(s) as well. 
Like I always say, no games are won on paper and just like last night, games have to be played…