Ashland vs. Lyon County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

KHSAA Sweet 16 First Round  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Ashland
    • Lyon County

This poll is closed to new votes

• theguru changed the title to Ashland vs. Lyon County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

8ji1u2.thumb.jpg.49621088e8be0b023567daac09c33560.jpg

Lyon County Lyons (32-3, R2 Champion, Media Poll #4) | Ashland Tomcats (23-10, R16 Champion)

Noteworthy Results 

Lyon County - Beat 4th Region champion Warren Central by 13 | Lost to 9th Region champion Newport by 2 | Beat 5th Region champion Adair County by 50 | Beat Lexington Catholic by 20 | Beat Bowling Green by 1 in 2OT | Beat Henderson County by 12 for region title 

Ashland - Lost to 13th Region champion Harlan County by 10 | Lost to 10th Region champion Campbell County by 14 | Beat 15th Region champion Magoffin County twice, by margins of 24 and 14 | Lost to Covington Catholic by 7 | Beat Pikeville by 25 | Lost to 11th Region champion and state #1 Great Crossing by 13 | Beat Boyd County by 14 for region title 

Player Spotlight

Lyon County - Travis Perry (29.5 ppg/170 3s) | Brady Shoulders (17.7 ppg/10.3 rpg)

As the commonwealth's all-time scoring king, Perry needs no introduction. The Mr. Basketball favorite spearheads the state's top scoring offense with a state leading 170 makes from behind the arc. Shoulders plays the Robin role for the Lyons, but he'd be Batman for most teams around the state, including some that are still playing.

Ashland - Zander Carter (22.7 ppg/6.5 rpg/53.5% FGs)

Carter has an underrated supporting cast that can shoot, run in transition, and defend - as Boyd County found out in the 16th Region final. But the 6'6" Liberty University commit is the straw that stirs the drink for the Tomcats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MBKT said:

Lyon County wins this easily and gets mojo going. 

If Lyon Co. can pull off the win, it will not be easy.  Ashland has played one of the toughest schedules in the state and they do not back down from anyone.  The Tomcats will not be a Mojo game.  

I agree with Reno. This game will be closer than many think. Ashland has been there and done that…..like five straight times and this year makes six. Zander Carter is a D-1 commit and is surrounded by a good supporting cast. And as mentioned they have played a tough schedule. I think Lyon County will win but if it is in a romp I’ll be surprised. However, I understand that Lyon County has also played a difficult schedule and their 20 point win at Lexington Catholic keeps reminding me that when their whole squad is healthy they can be an awesome machine with Mr Basketball and Kentucky commit Travis Perry leading the way. 

13 hours ago, The Professor said:

I agree with Reno. This game will be closer than many think. Ashland has been there and done that…..like five straight times and this year makes six. Zander Carter is a D-1 commit and is surrounded by a good supporting cast. And as mentioned they have played a tough schedule. I think Lyon County will win but if it is in a romp I’ll be surprised. However, I understand that Lyon County has also played a difficult schedule and their 20 point win at Lexington Catholic keeps reminding me that when their whole squad is healthy they can be an awesome machine with Mr Basketball and Kentucky commit Travis Perry leading the way. 

I agree with The Professor on everything except I’m taking the Tomcats by 3.  They are way underrated.  

One thing for the Tomcats is in their last two games in the regional tournament they held their opponents to their lowest point totals of the season, of course Lyon and Travis Perry are a little better than Fleming Co. and Boyd Co.