Highlands 90 Newport Central Catholic 85 (2OT) (36th District Semi-Finals)

What a great game!!!

The game never really got more than a 7 point difference for either team.

Might add some more tomorrow but WOW what a game!

@InsideSlantwith great updates & @Brennan_Bucher with great game calling on Bluebirdsradio.com!

Job well done both of you!!!  The atmosphere in the gym was electric....

Up next:  Highlands vs Newport on Friday night @Brennan_Bucher will be back on the radio calling that one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• FrankNicodemus changed the title to Highlands 90 Newport Central Catholic 85 (2OT) (36th District Semi-Finals)

Reading through the update thread and what I heard from my nephew that was there, one of the most exciting game a lot of people have seen in person. Tough time of year to lose close ones. Good job Breds and congrats to the Birds for the win. 

7 minutes ago, Brennan_Bucher said:

Thank you all for the kind words. Heart rate got up to a smooth 133 😂

Voice is shot, but that's what it is all about. What a game, thanks everyone for tuning in!

285 listeners. Great night! 

Great job on the mic; you got game man! 

Congrats Bluebirds on a hard fought win!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, big whip said:

If you call 19wins and 42 loses a good job. That isn’t up to normal New Cath standards. 

To be fair to coach, neither are the NewCath rosters in recent memory. Takes talent to win at a good clip.

• Like 2

I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought if it’s on the defense then the offense obviously gets the bonus and if it’s a “charge” it’s just a dead ball foul and take it out of bounds. Did they change the rule? 

2 much info coming in hot on this game thread.

• Like 1

No, the rule hasn’t changed and it was missed by the officials. “Team control foul” is the terminology used.

Obviously officials aren’t expected to be  perfect, but judgement calls should be missed. Not basic rule implementation.

Fun game to watch regardless.

• Like 1

Prior to the season, when I heard about the rule change regarding bonus, I asked 2 officials about this exact situation -  Player control foul or team control foul and I got 2 different answers.  One said it counts as a team foul and one said it does not.  

I do not know the intricacies of the new rule, but in the past, if the ball is still in the hands of the "inbounder" or the player standing out of bounds, then there is no offense or defense. In the past, I am almost positive that bonus free throws were awarded for an illegal screen or push off in those situations. That is why a player can stand in the lane for 4 or 5 seconds. 

The ball needs to be in the frontcourt for there to be a 3 second violation - completely unrelated.

Team control fouls do count as a team foul but do not result in bonus shots.

Also, the team taking the ball out of bounds is in possession and the ball is considered live (team control, not player control) - it is why the possession arrow switches once the ball is thrown in or a 5 second violation occurs before inbounding.