Artificial Intelligence Creates 5A Districts

Long-time reader here that's finally making my first post.

I thought this platform would be the most suitable to share my insights in the hope that someone can convey it to the relevant authorities at KHSAA. Upon reviewing the initially suggested 5A District seedings by KHSAA, I found myself concerned. The 12 western teams from Districts 1 and 2 cover the largest geographical area. In my opinion, districts with the greatest geographical separation should ideally have fewer teams. However, this doesn't align with the current proposal. For instance, District 3, whose farthest game is a mere 20-minute drive, has four teams, while District one involves multiple trips taking over 2 hours each. To address this, I utilized an Artificial Intelligence (AI), inputting all team addresses, instructing it to formulate the optimal District lineup. The first image displays the proposed alignment by KHSAA, while the second image shows the AI-generated districts.

The image itself makes the point, but for a more detailed view, refer to the tables at the end of this post.

Key Points from the tables:

With the AI Districts, the farthest district game involves a 3-hour round trip, as opposed to KHSAA's farthest district game being 4 hours and 24 minutes. Notably, it involves the same team, Graves County, reducing their farthest district game by 1 hour and 30 minutes.

The farthest sister district game in the AI Districts is 4 hours and 24 minutes. Interestingly, this game is currently an in-district game with KHSAA's proposed districts. Let me write this again for emphasis, the farthest sister district game, that isn't even a guarantee to happen, in the AI-created districts is a KHSAA District Game.

With the AI District schedule, no team, except for District 1, will travel over 1 hour for crucial in District games, and none will exceed 2 hours for their first two round games against their sister district.

The only downside, and a minor one at that, is that just a few teams around Louisville will have to travel a little further. However, no district games will extend beyond 30 minutes, a small compromise compared to the hours other teams would spend with the current proposed districting.

This AI system brings several advantages, including cost savings for schools, enhanced player safety as they will not be driving home on county roads in the early morning hours, and potentially increased attendance due to closer game locations. This isn't intended as criticism against KHSAA's proposed districting; rather, it highlights the efficiency of AI in performing calculations that would take a human much longer. I focused on 5A because that's the school I support, but applying this to other classifications wouldn't be difficult.

AI Created           KHSAA Proposed        
Farthest District Games School A School B Time Trip Round Trip   Farthest District Games School A School B Time Trip Round Trip
District 1 Graves Co Muhlenberg Co 1 hr 30 min 3 hrs   District 1 Graves County Owensboro 2 hrs 12 min 4 hrs 24 min
District 2 Owensboro Grayson Co 1 hr 3 min 2 hrs 6 min   District 2 Ohio County Barren County 1 hr 16 min 2 hrs 32 min
District 3 Warren Central Barren Co 41 min 1hr 22 min   District 3 Seneca Butler 18 min 36 min
District 4 Butler Bullitt Central 24 min 48 min   District 4 Jeffersontown Bullitt Central 30 min 1 hr
District 5 Oldham Moore 34 min 1 hr 8 min   District 5 Conner Scott 19 min 38 min
District 6 Conner Scott 19 min 38 min   District 6 South Oldham Scott Co 1 hr 10 min 2 hrs 20 min
District 7 Anderson Montgomery 1 hr 6 min 2 hrs 12 min   District 7 Madison Southern Montgomery 1 hr 2 hrs
District 8 Madison Southern Southwestern 57 min 1 hr 54 min   District 8 Southwestern North Laurel 49 min 1 hr 38 min
    Total Time 6hr 34 min 13 hrs 8 min       Total Time 7 hr 34 min 15 hrs 8 min

*Possibility these games never happen

Farthest Sister District Game School A School B Time Trip Round Trip   Farthest Sister District Game School A School B Time Trip Round Trip
District 1 and 2 Graves Co Owensboro 2 hrs 12 min 4hrs 24 min   District 1 and 2 Graves County Barren County 2 hr 54 min 5 hrs 48 min
District 3 and 4 Greenwood Butler 1 hr 45 min 3 hrs 30 min   District 3 and 4 Bullit Central Jeffersontown 21 min 42 min
District 5 and 6 Moore Conner 1 hr 50 min 3 hrs 40 min   District 5 and 6 Anderson Conner 1 hr 33 min 3 hrs 6 min
District 7 and 8 Scott Co Southwestern 1 hr 42 min 3 hrs 24 min   District 7 and 8 Montgomery Southwestern 1 hr 52 min 3 hrs 44 min
    Total Time 7 hr 29 min 14 hrs 58 min       Total Time 6 hr 40 min 13 hrs 20 min
AI Districts           KHSAA Districts      
District 1 District 2 District 3 District 4     District 1 District 2 District 3 District 4
Graves Bowling Green Owensboro Butler     Graves Bowling Green Atherton B. Central
Marshall Warren Central Apollo Iroquois     Marshall Warren Central Butler Fairdale
Muhlenberg Greenwood Ohio Fairdale     Muhlenberg Greenwood Iroquois Jeffersonto
Madisonville  Barren County Grayson North Bullitt     Madisonville Barren Seneca Moore
      Bullitt Central     Apollo Ohio   North Bullitt
            Owensboro Grayson    

District 5 District 6 District 7 District 8     District 5 District 6 District 7 District 8
Atherton Conner Anderson Madison South     Boone Anderson Co E Jessamine N Laurel
Seneca Cooper Woodford Pulaski     Conner Collins W Jessamine S Laurel
Moore Boone Scott Co Southwestern     Cooper Scott Madison S Pulaski
Jeffersontown Scott Montgomery North Laurel     Dixie Heights Oldham Montgomery Southwester
South Oldham Dixie Heights E Jessamine South Laurel     Scott Woodford    
Collins   W Jessamine              

5A Districts.jpg

5A Districts (1).jpg

• Like 16

• theguru changed the title to Artificial Intelligence Creates 5A Districts

After reading this and really breaking it down I don't know if you can come up with a logical argument against it.  Something like this takes all human bias out of the equation and does it off of true travel distance which is what the KHSAA says they do when they make these decisions.  This AI should be used to create all of the reclassifications in my opinion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, common_sense_eagle said:

Long-time reader here that's finally making my first post.

I thought this platform would be the most suitable to share my insights in the hope that someone can convey it to the relevant authorities at KHSAA. Upon reviewing the initially suggested 5A District seedings by KHSAA, I found myself concerned. The 12 western teams from Districts 1 and 2 cover the largest geographical area. In my opinion, districts with the greatest geographical separation should ideally have fewer teams. However, this doesn't align with the current proposal. For instance, District 3, whose farthest game is a mere 20-minute drive, has four teams, while District one involves multiple trips taking over 2 hours each. To address this, I utilized an Artificial Intelligence (AI), inputting all team addresses, instructing it to formulate the optimal District lineup. The first image displays the proposed alignment by KHSAA, while the second image shows the AI-generated districts.

The image itself makes the point, but for a more detailed view, refer to the tables at the end of this post.

Key Points from the tables:

With the AI Districts, the farthest district game involves a 3-hour round trip, as opposed to KHSAA's farthest district game being 4 hours and 24 minutes. Notably, it involves the same team, Graves County, reducing their farthest district game by 1 hour and 30 minutes.

The farthest sister district game in the AI Districts is 4 hours and 24 minutes. Interestingly, this game is currently an in-district game with KHSAA's proposed districts. Let me write this again for emphasis, the farthest sister district game, that isn't even a guarantee to happen, in the AI-created districts is a KHSAA District Game.

With the AI District schedule, no team, except for District 1, will travel over 1 hour for crucial in District games, and none will exceed 2 hours for their first two round games against their sister district.

The only downside, and a minor one at that, is that just a few teams around Louisville will have to travel a little further. However, no district games will extend beyond 30 minutes, a small compromise compared to the hours other teams would spend with the current proposed districting.

This AI system brings several advantages, including cost savings for schools, enhanced player safety as they will not be driving home on county roads in the early morning hours, and potentially increased attendance due to closer game locations. This isn't intended as criticism against KHSAA's proposed districting; rather, it highlights the efficiency of AI in performing calculations that would take a human much longer. I focused on 5A because that's the school I support, but applying this to other classifications wouldn't be difficult.

AI Created           KHSAA Proposed        
Farthest District Games School A School B Time Trip Round Trip   Farthest District Games School A School B Time Trip Round Trip
District 1 Graves Co Muhlenberg Co 1 hr 30 min 3 hrs   District 1 Graves County Owensboro 2 hrs 12 min 4 hrs 24 min
District 2 Owensboro Grayson Co 1 hr 3 min 2 hrs 6 min   District 2 Ohio County Barren County 1 hr 16 min 2 hrs 32 min
District 3 Warren Central Barren Co 41 min 1hr 22 min   District 3 Seneca Butler 18 min 36 min
District 4 Butler Bullitt Central 24 min 48 min   District 4 Jeffersontown Bullitt Central 30 min 1 hr
District 5 Oldham Moore 34 min 1 hr 8 min   District 5 Conner Scott 19 min 38 min
District 6 Conner Scott 19 min 38 min   District 6 South Oldham Scott Co 1 hr 10 min 2 hrs 20 min
District 7 Anderson Montgomery 1 hr 6 min 2 hrs 12 min   District 7 Madison Southern Montgomery 1 hr 2 hrs
District 8 Madison Southern Southwestern 57 min 1 hr 54 min   District 8 Southwestern North Laurel 49 min 1 hr 38 min
    Total Time 6hr 34 min 13 hrs 8 min       Total Time 7 hr 34 min 15 hrs 8 min

*Possibility these games never happen

Farthest Sister District Game School A School B Time Trip Round Trip   Farthest Sister District Game School A School B Time Trip Round Trip
District 1 and 2 Graves Co Owensboro 2 hrs 12 min 4hrs 24 min   District 1 and 2 Graves County Barren County 2 hr 54 min 5 hrs 48 min
District 3 and 4 Greenwood Butler 1 hr 45 min 3 hrs 30 min   District 3 and 4 Bullit Central Jeffersontown 21 min 42 min
District 5 and 6 Moore Conner 1 hr 50 min 3 hrs 40 min   District 5 and 6 Anderson Conner 1 hr 33 min 3 hrs 6 min
District 7 and 8 Scott Co Southwestern 1 hr 42 min 3 hrs 24 min   District 7 and 8 Montgomery Southwestern 1 hr 52 min 3 hrs 44 min
    Total Time 7 hr 29 min 14 hrs 58 min       Total Time 6 hr 40 min 13 hrs 20 min
AI Districts           KHSAA Districts      
District 1 District 2 District 3 District 4     District 1 District 2 District 3 District 4
Graves Bowling Green Owensboro Butler     Graves Bowling Green Atherton B. Central
Marshall Warren Central Apollo Iroquois     Marshall Warren Central Butler Fairdale
Muhlenberg Greenwood Ohio Fairdale     Muhlenberg Greenwood Iroquois Jeffersonto
Madisonville  Barren County Grayson North Bullitt     Madisonville Barren Seneca Moore
      Bullitt Central     Apollo Ohio   North Bullitt
            Owensboro Grayson    

District 5 District 6 District 7 District 8     District 5 District 6 District 7 District 8
Atherton Conner Anderson Madison South     Boone Anderson Co E Jessamine N Laurel
Seneca Cooper Woodford Pulaski     Conner Collins W Jessamine S Laurel
Moore Boone Scott Co Southwestern     Cooper Scott Madison S Pulaski
Jeffersontown Scott Montgomery North Laurel     Dixie Heights Oldham Montgomery Southwester
South Oldham Dixie Heights E Jessamine South Laurel     Scott Woodford    
Collins   W Jessamine              

5A Districts.jpg

5A Districts (1).jpg

Can you do this for all classes?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

Can you do this for all classes?

If someone is willing to give me all the addresses for their class on a nice spreadsheet it would be no problem. I could just replace that data with what I have for 5A

I would advise KHSAA to get someone familiar with geospatial-ai and have them do this, because it would take that person probably a few minutes and you'd have the best districts possible with every school in mind without any human bias. I am just some nerd playing with distances and numbers.

• Like 2

As a fellow Graves County fan, this is incredible. I have always thought it was odd that we would drive pretty much by other 5A schools not in our district only to drive another hour to get to a school within our district. I always wondered if KHSAA just didn't know how spread out things were this far west. Your numbers really put things into perspective, especially the point that the AI's farthest sister district game is the same distance as a current district game. 

This should be changed.