Surprising Teams so Far in 2023

burreaux

I want to know what teams have surprised people the most so far in this season. It could be teams that have under or over achieved this year. I'll start and stick to my neck of the woods.

Boyle County has been thoroughly dominant this year, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They look the part of the best team in the state and a real threat to go 15-0 with an unbelievably tough schedule. True Boyle County natives may later consider this team as one of the best Rebel groups of all time.

On a less positive note, Garrard County being 0-4 in Spencer Crutchfield's second season has been a real disappointment. The Golden Lions can't seem to put a full game together and get a much needed win. The new district looked to do them a big favor, but they have not looked the part so far in this 2023 campaign.

What other teams out there have been surprising to you all?

I think Warren East has been a disappointment. I realize they are 2-2 but against a very poor schedule. I think Martin Co has surpassed me to the good. I can’t remember them ever being any good but here they set a decent team against the schedule they play.

• Like 2

Dixie stands out for sure. I think conventional wisdom says they were going to be 1-3 regardless with the schedule they have played to date. But the big surprise for most of us is how competitive they have been in tough games. I agree with another poster on here they may be due to pique at the right time. Regardless their success, or lack thereof, the schedule they play will pay dividends later in the season/post season.

• Like 4

I’m going to go with Bellevue. Based on their struggles from the previous season, being 2-2 is a good place for them regardless of schedule. I think Chad Montgomery is going to do good things for them as head coach and things have improved already with a couple wins and with better numbers in players being on the team.

• Like 1