Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown

Featured Replies

Thursday, August 17
Newport Central Catholic at Lloyd Memorial - 7:00pm

Friday, August 18
Badin (OH) at Hamilton (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, August 25
Mason (OH) at Oak Hills (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, September 1
West Clermont (OH) at Winton Woods (OH) - 7:00pm
Moeller (OH) at East Central (IN) - 7:30pm

Friday, September 8
Anderson (OH) at Milford (OH) - 7:00pm
St. Xavier (OH) at Withrow (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, September 15
Covington Catholic at Beechwood - 7:30pm

Friday, September 22
Lakota West (OH) at Sycamore (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, September 29
Princeton (OH) at Fairfield (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, October 6
Kings (OH) at Lebanon (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, October 13
Indian Hill (OH) at Wyoming (OH) - 7:00pm

Friday, October 20
Elder (OH) at LaSalle (OH) - 7:00pm

  • Author

13 games, total.

2 games involving Kentucky teams.

1 game involving an Indiana team.

1 game involving inter-state competition.

I appreciate the attempt of making regular season games seem more important than they are, but this hasn’t been the same since they went away from the all day model at UC. 

Does the Skyline Chili dealio do anything to make these games happen? Or are the games already happening and then Skyline comes along and hitches their event wagon to them?

Looks like the last BGP thread about the Skyline Showdown was 5 years ago. Have they had Skyline games in the last 5 years? Doesn't seem like word is getting out about it if they have.

17 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I appreciate the attempt of making regular season games seem more important than they are, but this hasn’t been the same since they went away from the all day model at UC. 

For a high school athlete, getting to play in a college stadium or arena is a something really special and memorable. It's genuinely a big deal to them.

For a high school athlete, having a business tag their name onto a regular season game in a high school stadium where you would normally be playing the game, regardless of whether or not they sponsor it, is not any kind of big deal whatsoever, and probably doesn't even move the needle for the players. This Skyline thing smacks as a money grab. No more, no less.

16 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

For a high school athlete, getting to play in a college stadium or arena is a something really special and memorable. It's genuinely a big deal to them.

For a high school athlete, having a business tag their name onto a regular season game in a high school stadium where you would normally be playing the game, regardless of whether or not they sponsor it, is not any kind of big deal whatsoever, and probably doesn't even move the needle for the players. This Skyline thing smacks as a money grab. No more, no less.

It's purely a money grab now as it's just putting a sponsor on a regular season game that's already scheduled and being played.  If I'm not mistaken, they would increase ticket prices for these games in the past as they tried to sell it as some big event that it was not.  I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

The all day event at Nippert and possibly even at Paycor as I remember watching some high school games there was the way to go with this event.  

  • Author
1 hour ago, nees1212 said:

It's purely a money grab now as it's just putting a sponsor on a regular season game that's already scheduled and being played.  If I'm not mistaken, they would increase ticket prices for these games in the past as they tried to sell it as some big event that it was not.  I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

The all day event at Nippert and possibly even at Paycor as I remember watching some high school games there was the way to go with this event.  

I don't know that they ever had games at Paul Brown/Paycor Stadium, but they did originally hold them at Nippert Stadium, and they have also held games at UC's Sheakley Athletic Complex (the Bearcats' practice facility), Mount St. Joseph, and at Miami University's Yeager Stadium.

I'm not sure whether not they increase ticket prices for the games held at regular high school stadiums, but if memory serves, at least in recent years I don't believe there is any increased price, so at least there's that. It may not be a money grab, so I don't really see the harm in it, but it definitely is a far cry from what the Crosstown Showdown was originally designed to be.

40 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I don't know that they ever had games at Paul Brown/Paycor Stadium, but they did originally hold them at Nippert Stadium, and they have also held games at UC's Sheakley Athletic Complex (the Bearcats' practice facility), Mount St. Joseph, and at Miami University's Yeager Stadium.

I'm not sure whether not they increase ticket prices for the games held at regular high school stadiums, but if memory serves, at least in recent years I don't believe there is any increased price, so at least there's that. It may not be a money grab, so I don't really see the harm in it, but it definitely is a far cry from what the Crosstown Showdown was originally designed to be.

I watched Highlands vs Elder at Paul Brown in the past, and couldn't remember if it was a part of this event or not.  

As for ticket prices, I went back through those old threads, and they did increase ticket prices for these events.  However, it looks like they stopped doing so recently.

When the event went from big venues with unusual, great matchups to being just regularly scheduled yearly games, it lost all credibility. 

9 hours ago, Royal Blue said:

When the event went from big venues with unusual, great matchups to being just regularly scheduled yearly games, it lost all credibility. 

It lost me the one year that Covington Catholic played a game against an Ohio school (I think LaSalle, but wouldn't swear to it) and it was played at Princeton HS.   Bad enough that there was no intrigue in the match-up, but to play it on a neutral HS field, where's the excitement?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.