Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Campbellsville Baseball/Football Complex

Featured Replies

  • Author
3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

A previous poster said the All "A" baseball is going back to EKU next year. It ran into a scheduling conflict this season. It still seems like you're going out of your way to be critical toward a small, rural school district who has worked hard to upgrade their facilities and also put on a good event that wouldn't typically be expected of them.

I made what in my opinion is an honest observation.

To be perfectly honest the football field n the outfield reminds me of an old song "The Train Runs Through The Middle of the House." IMO a Football Field has no place in the outfield of a baseball field.  I understand - Economics, but I don't have to like it.

I never said a derogatory word about the effort of the good folks at Campbellsville to host the event.

I did say that the players/fans are being deprived of the "Big League" experience that we used to enjoy playing at Applebees.

I think that you ae looking way to hard into my post to detect criticism.

I don't have a dog in this fight, per se, so my question is out of pure curiosity.  Are there no temporary, portable fencing put up to designate the end of the outfield?  (I've seen that done a lot in girls softball.)

The lack of that, if that's the case, would be my only gripe.  A typical double into the power alley that seven-hops its way to the wall in most HS fields ends up rolling 600 feet for an inside-the-park home run.  Likewise, a 500-foot "bomb" that'd clear every other outfield fence, could turn into a long fly ball out without any fence to prohibit the defender.

I already know what the arguments are going to be...well, both teams have to play on the same field, so it affects both of them equally.  And, there are weird idiosyncrasies in many MLB fields (Boston, Houston, San Fran, etc.)...so, why not high school?

I to was wondering about a home run wall. Other than that I don't have an issue with the set up. The facility looks fantastic, and kids will play any where they do not care, they just want to compete. The Oakland Raiders played on a dirt and grass baseball field every season in Oakland.

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I to was wondering about a home run wall. Other than that I don't have an issue with the set up. The facility looks fantastic, and kids will play any where they do not care, they just want to compete. The Oakland Raiders played on a dirt and grass baseball field every season in Oakland.

This is so true. Most, if not all complaints about facilities are from parents/spectators. Players would absolutely play in a parking lot and be just as happy as "having a big league" experience. Where the game is played is much more important to parents/spectators than players. 

3 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I to was wondering about a home run wall.

It’s a black, chain link fence all the way across the outfield. It’s the same fence that would keep fans off the sidelines and out of the end zone during a football game. It appears to be extended higher in centerfield and has a black covering over it to provide a batters eye of sorts. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

It’s a black, chain link fence all the way across the outfield. It’s the same fence that would keep fans off the sidelines and out of the end zone during a football game. It appears to be extended higher in centerfield and has a black covering over it to provide a batters eye of sorts. 

Thank you.  Was hard to tell if there was anything there from the picture.

Then, I've got nothing to complain about them utilizing part of the football field for the outfield.  As long as there are no issues (drains, etc) that'd be present for a football game, that would be a safety concern, then use what you've got.

 

A couple of observations on the topic.  One of the locals told me that the Campbellsville University baseball team plays on this field and they have a distinct advantage because it becomes difficult at times for visiting outfielders to play balls on a surface that has all the football yardage markers, numbers, etc.  He said balls drop, players fall down, players look like they have vertigo in the OF at times (visiting teams.)  In the All-A, I saw one OF make a play on a ball and fell flat on his butt, to his point.  Another observation, the CF fence is between 290-315 at best.  Many of today's HS players are grown men and we saw what should be fly ball outs to CF get put in the stands for HR.  Beyond that, the OF wall is about 75 yards in length of a football bleacher stanza which plays like a brick wall.  Again, saw an OF crash into the wall in CF and he said it was like hitting a "brick wall."  The OF fence dimensions are goofy to say the least.  The manner in which the fence triangulates to two points in the power alleys, then cut back in approaching CF.  It just plays weird and I didn't like it.  No one I spoke with liked the way the field set up for the reasons I mentioned above.  However, the Campbellsville people were very nice, the turf is very nice, the All-A tourney staff did a nice job.  We just assumed that a "power to be" must either live close to Campbellsville or the $ for the field was right for them to have this as the tourney host location.  Put me down for one of the bigger college or semi pro venues as in years past.  It was a far better experience.  $ drives everything, so I get it.    

1 hour ago, 5-oh said:

A couple of observations on the topic.  One of the locals told me that the Campbellsville University baseball team plays on this field and they have a distinct advantage because it becomes difficult at times for visiting outfielders to play balls on a surface that has all the football yardage markers, numbers, etc.  He said balls drop, players fall down, players look like they have vertigo in the OF at times (visiting teams.)   

I don't believe this is accurate. The university athletics website says they play at HIG Field, a natural grass surface on campus (it is possible they might have played a tournament game there or perhaps if their field was too wet). Linked below is a copy of this season's schedule and a description of the Campbellsville University facility. I've also included two pictures.

HIG BASEBALL FIELD - Facilities - Campbellsville University Athletics

HIG BASEBALL FIELD - Facilities - Campbellsville University Athletics

https://campbellsvilletigers.com/sports/baseball/schedule

https://campbellsvilletigers.com/facilities/hig-baseball-field/4

Correct... The University does not play at Campbellsville High Schools baseball facility...

I think everyone agrees that EKU or LexLegends is the best choice.  But when it’s unavailable, what is the next best option?

Class A schools with baseball turd that I know of: Beechwood, Pikeville, Campellsville.  

Or what’s a nice 1A facility that’s centrally located and has hotels for teams?

On 5/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, brooksville said:

I think everyone agrees that EKU or LexLegends is the best choice.  But when it’s unavailable, what is the next best option?

Class A schools with baseball turd that I know of: Beechwood, Pikeville, Campellsville.  

Or what’s a nice 1A facility that’s centrally located and has hotels for teams?

Somerset has a turf infield and a great overall field.  There are enough hotels due to the tourism from Lake Cumberland.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.