Open Job: Mercer County

3 hours ago, Packaged Meat said:

Sparrow is a college coach. He seems to be pretty successful, no matter his age. Seems happy where he is and in a prime position to move to a higher level if he wants. Already promoting offseason/summer workouts. Lots of people are sleeping on Kasey McRay. Mercer alum, in the building as a teacher, high school and college coaching experience, and well connected throughout the community. Some people want the big hire instead of the best hire.

I said maybe he would excel? A division II bible school job is different than coaching HS ball in your hometown where everyone views you accessible.  Good young coach, but not always easy going home.  McCray is well connected and would save the school from hiring a teacher position.  They do have PE job posted, which would fit most candidates that are coaches.  

3 hours ago, Packaged Meat said:

Sparrow is a college coach. He seems to be pretty successful, no matter his age. Seems happy where he is and in a prime position to move to a higher level if he wants. Already promoting offseason/summer workouts. Lots of people are sleeping on Kasey McRay. Mercer alum, in the building as a teacher, high school and college coaching experience, and well connected throughout the community. Some people want the big hire instead of the best hire.

You would pass on Josh Cook for Sparrow or McCray?  I don’t think Mercer could get Cook, but I would definitely say the big hire would be best hire in this case.  If you can land a state championship coach, that’s what you do. 

Cook would be a no brainer for most any school in the state. I don’t see how anyone can argue that point. As far as Austin Sparrow, I agree that coaching in your hometown can present some challenges. But, like most things in life, the challenging things can also be the most rewarding.

So much of coaching has to do with passion for the sport, player development and establishing good relationships with your players. I think Sparrow would be strong in those areas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Saw on Twitter that Coach Sparrow had a few of the Mercer County kids at the Campbellsville Harrodsburg gym working them out. Guess he's trying to get a leg up. One of the kids was the stud Ellis kid. Is that even legal?

What do you think would be wrong with it? I saw a clip last week where he also had kids from other schools, at least Boyle and Owen County. So it’s not even limited to Mercer kids.

Anyone can do skill training and anyone can attend. Lots of coaches do that to make extra money.

8 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Saw on Twitter that Coach Sparrow had a few of the Mercer County kids at the Campbellsville Harrodsburg gym working them out. Guess he's trying to get a leg up. One of the kids was the stud Ellis kid. Is that even legal?

I think he's back to coaching an AAU program.  Not sure what the guidelines are.  

On 3/24/2023 at 9:52 AM, PurplePride92 said:

It is large enough.  Without looking at numbers I feel certain it can hold as many people as Lincoln County does and they have plenty of parking as well.  

IMO there is no good reason to not have added Mercer County into the rotation of gyms that host the region tournament.  The excuses about wanting a central location for the tournament is a bogus excuse. 

Suppose to be able to hold 3500 people.