Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincinnati Elder's coach applies for Mason, OH opening

Featured Replies

Don't get out of the conversation ..... You have made some good points .... for instance: "All this has done is ruined the trust his players have in him. 15 - 18 year old kids are too young to realize that this was not a sign of betrayal to them but just the coach trying to make more money, better retirement, etc..."

 

I don't have any way around that one. And have no clue how I would/could justify that.

No one should blame a coach (or anyone, for that matter) for looking into a position that could better themselves in their chosen profession.
  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a high school job and he's a high school coach...
He's a coach, an adult ...

 

Are we supposed to ignore high school sports? Maybe we should tell theguru to shut this site down, then ... ;)

 

At least the newspaper is reporting facts.

He's a coach, an adult ...

 

Not worried about that. Your previous post says it all. No one should have a problem him with him taking care of his family and career. The hardest part is explaining that to high school kids and having them understand. If he gets the job, he can explain it. If he only applies for it, he shouldn't have to explain it...

 

 

Hey...no editing...:irked:

He's a coach, an adult ...

 

Are we supposed to ignore high school sports? Maybe we should tell theguru to shut this site down, then ... ;)

 

At least the newspaper is reporting facts.

 

It has nothing to do with high school sports. Have you ever applied for a job in order to test the waters and figured out you already have a pretty good job? This type of thing can rejuvenate a human being and make him/her do a better job. It should not be public knowledge though!

It has nothing to do with high school sports. Have you ever applied for a job in order to test the waters and figured out you already have a pretty good job? This type of thing can rejuvenate a human being and make him/her do a better job. It should not be public knowledge though!
I have, and actually turned the job down ... but I informed my employer, too.
It should not be public knowledge though!

 

 

but I informed my employer, too.

 

Apples and oranges, IMO...

I don't think it should be a matter of public record either. While I understand the whole "he'll get paid with public tax dollars we have a right to know who applied' logic, I just don't agree with the thinking. If applicants start worrying about being "outed" for applying, fewer and fewer good coaches are going to take that risk. That will dramatically hurt the school's chances of getting big names to apply, which will hurt the weaker programs' chances of landing the big name coach and improving athletics at those schools.

 

 

And as for telling your boss that you are seeking employment elsewhere before you apply, that's not real world from my perspective and experience. Doesn't make sense and is particularly problemsome from the athletics perspective. I don't believe in lying to the kids and the administrators that "you'll be there forever", but I don't believe that you should disclose to the kids or administrators every time you might be seeking to go elsewhere. I think it severely weakens your ability to lead your kids if they know you've tried or are trying to get a job elsewhere. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

And as for telling your boss that you are seeking employment elsewhere before you apply, that's not real world from my perspective and experience. Doesn't make sense and is particularly problemsome from the athletics perspective. I don't believe in lying to the kids and the administrators that "you'll be there forever", but I don't believe that you should disclose to the kids or administrators every time you might be seeking to go elsewhere. I think it severely weakens your ability to lead your kids if they know you've tried or are trying to get a job elsewhere. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.
Everyone handles it differently. Personally, I think the coach could inform a trusted administrator, just in case they find out. I don't think the kids have to know, but that's up to the coach to tell them.
Everyone handles it differently. Personally, I think the coach could inform a trusted administrator, just in case they find out. I don't think the kids have to know, but that's up to the coach to tell them.

No, apparently telling the kids is up to a newpaper reporter who makes a public records request to the school district. Hence the problem with this list being made public!

I don't think it should be a matter of public record either. While I understand the whole "he'll get paid with public tax dollars we have a right to know who applied' logic, I just don't agree with the thinking. If applicants start worrying about being "outed" for applying, fewer and fewer good coaches are going to take that risk. That will dramatically hurt the school's chances of getting big names to apply, which will hurt the weaker programs' chances of landing the big name coach and improving athletics at those schools.

 

I see your points but then how do you address the larger issue of picking and choosing which tax funded processes to make public and which ones get to remain private? And, no matter what you answer, don't you think it is a very slippery slope?

You are saying that applying for a job is newsworthy. I dont think so! This was a mistake by an ovezealous news reporter. That is why the list is gone and it is only a short article now. I think the reporter realized he was putting others jobs at risk. I think next time you apply for a job that the company should send a mass email to your employer. We will then see if your attitude about this changes.

 

You better check that article again, the full list is still there.

 

Did anyone ever figure out who this is:

 

Michael Croley, head coach, Scott County (Ky.)

Man you guys should tag this thread with OH!!!

 

When reading the title of the tread I thought we were talking about Mason County KY which would mean EKY might be lossing one of its best in Coach Buchanan.

 

Glad I was wrong with my assumption:thumb:

Man you guys should tag this thread with OH!!!

 

When reading the title of the tread I thought we were talking about Mason County KY which would mean EKY might be lossing one of its best in Coach Buchanan.

 

Glad I was wrong with my assumption:thumb:

 

 

The Ohio message board, Yappi.com, has a similar thread going. It can be viewed here:

 

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134702

It's a high school job and he's a high school coach...

 

Then stop all high school coverage. You don't get to have it both ways.

You are saying that applying for a job is newsworthy. I dont think so! This was a mistake by an ovezealous news reporter. That is why the list is gone and it is only a short article now. I think the reporter realized he was putting others jobs at risk. I think next time you apply for a job that the company should send a mass email to your employer. We will then see if your attitude about this changes.

 

I'm saying a lot of things that are going over your head. :banana:

 

If high school football is news, it's news. Not sometimes, all the time. I already made this point in detail, but you failed to grasp it. Reread my first post, and don't stop after one sentence.

 

Also you used the Nick Saban analogy, he's a big time college coach/former NFL coach. If this is high school, why mention his name? :confused:

 

Finally, this is twice you've jumped on the reporter about this story. I don't expect you to read this far, but if you're still with me, it's not the reporter at all.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.