MaxPreps final Kentucky High School Football Rankings (12/4)

theguru

Just now, Tones said:

Yeah I wasn't being critical either, just thought it was interesting that the 2 national polls came out with the exact same top 10.

Sounds like they each may have some basis in science.  

I hope we get to see the final TP94 Power Rankings to see how they compare @Tigerpride94.

This list isn't an exact match but @FSfan started this thread (thank you) ranking the final 12 teams this year and if you add Trinity, X, and Ballard (none of which played in the finals) then you essentially have the same top ten after taking out Beechwood, Pikeville, and Mayfield.

1. Frederick Douglass

2. Bullitt East

3. Male

4. Boyle County

5. Bowling Green

6. CAL

7. Corbin

8. Beechwood

9. Pikeville

10. Mayfield

TP94 Power Ratings - Final

Frederick Douglass 122.48
Christian Academy Louisville 118.74
St. Xavier   113.52
Pikeville   112
Boyle County 109
Corbin   107.51
Trinity   105.24
Bowling Green 105.06
Male   104.99
Ballard   104.48
Woodford County 101.41
Bullitt East 100.5
Henderson County 100.05
Highlands   100.01
Scott County 100.01
Owensboro 99.61
Lexington Catholic 98.93
Covington Catholic 98.81
Beechwood 97.6
Southwestern 97.3
South Warren 97.25
Manual   96.73
Simon Kenton 95.86
Central Hardin 95.85
Bryan Station 95.59

This is all teams with a 95 or higher rating. I made a tweak for the teams that won the championship. The championship team 50% of rating was from performance in that game and other 50% was rating for whole season. Next year I'm going to change where the most credit you get for victory margin is 36 points so teams that run score up on weak opponents don't have rating based on blowing out weak teams. Teams that show mercy on terrible teams get hurt since they didn't win by amount system said they should. Never a perfect system but if any way to improve it will try to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wingt51 said:

Oh buddy @Tigerpride94 the people of Mount Washington might put out a warrant for you.😂😂😂

No, no warrant.  We actually like @Tigerpride94.   All that does is further prove rankings are flawed & not an exact science.  Too many people worry about rankings.  I’m going out on a limb & saying the 7 teams above BE on the list who didn’t win a ring & gold trophy this year, would trade places with them 😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unrivaled97 said:

No, no warrant.  We actually like @Tigerpride94.   All that does is further prove rankings are flawed & not an exact science.  Too many people worry about rankings.  I’m going out on a limb & saying the 7 teams above BE on the list who didn’t win a ring & gold trophy this year, would trade places with them 😄

Only correct statements listed above. 

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

That's why we play the games which matters most.

• Like 1

In theory, I love the idea of a pound for pound top 20-25 for football that follows the same concept as boxing. In practice, I'm not sure how it would go over with people because it would be wildly subjective. I don't know if that's precisely what KSR is going for, but I feel like that's at least part of their methodology.

The P4P #1 in boxing could be a lightweight or welterweight champion (think Pikeville or Beechwood) that no one would pick to beat the heavyweight champ (T, X, etc.) head to head, but they're ranked ahead of the heavyweight because they have the superior resumé and they're more dominant against their competition… I.e., they're having a better season.

Schedule strength and quality wins would be even more important than they already are because hypothetical head to heads wouldn't play a factor at all. This year, Beechwood and Pikeville would probably both be ranked ahead of Trinity and St. X in this poll despite being considerable underdogs should they actually play.

It would be something unique to break up the predictability of having the same 2-3 teams vying for statewide #1 every year.