Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How will UK do this season?

Featured Replies

What are everyone’s thoughts on UK heading into the start of the regular season? UK returns a decent amount of players, including the National Player of the year. They added a few transfers who can shoot including Fredericks that is now healthy and shooting the lights out so far in exhibition games. Then they also brought in a few talented freshman. 
 

Will Calipari be able to get UK back to where fans expect UK to be at with this group. Or will things continue to trend downward like the last few years? 

  • Author

It is still early, but I like the mix of players they have with this group. They have size, but also more overall strength with this group. A good amount of experience, to go along with some shooting and talented freshman. I think freshman pg Cason Wallace is going to be a player fans love. Oscar is going to be a machine like always. However, the player that I think is going to explode this year is Jacob Toppin. I think he will be in the running for conference player of the year along with Oscar. 
 

I think we see UK do something similar to what Virginia did a few years ago. Virginia was upset by a 16 seed, then they used that as motivation to come back the next year to win the Championship. This team will have some bumps along the way, but I do think come tournament time this team will be on a mission and will be a final four team and possibly win it all. 

They definitely have the pieces that you'd look for in a Final Four caliber team.  I'm sure there will be some bumps and bruises along the way.  I don't think its a stretch to say this team should be competing for a Final Four and a Title.  But health to some key pieces will play a major factor.

Looking forward to this schedule and seeing how they are tested throughout the year.

I haven't really gotten to watch them much since the Bahamas and that barely counts.  Ready for some real basketball to start!

  • Author
34 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I haven't really gotten to watch them much since the Bahamas and that barely counts.  Ready for some real basketball to start!

Obviously the competition level isn’t great. However, I really liked how Cason Wallace ran the point last night with Wheeler out. He is strong and a very good defender. Plus he has shown so far he is a capable shooter and can get in the lane so far. I think the team would be better offensively with him rubbing the point, then bringing Wheeler in off the bench as a spark plug to bring speed and energy into the game when he comes in.  

This is the most well rounded Kentucky team we have seen in awhile.  No glaring deficiences.   When this team is 100% healthy I am really interested to see how the minutes end up breaking down.  

There is every reason to view this team as a Final 4 team.  

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

It is still early, but I like the mix of players they have with this group. They have size, but also more overall strength with this group. A good amount of experience, to go along with some shooting and talented freshman. I think freshman pg Cason Wallace is going to be a player fans love. Oscar is going to be a machine like always. However, the player that I think is going to explode this year is Jacob Toppin. I think he will be in the running for conference player of the year along with Oscar. 
 

I think we see UK do something similar to what Virginia did a few years ago. Virginia was upset by a 16 seed, then they used that as motivation to come back the next year to win the Championship. This team will have some bumps along the way, but I do think come tournament time this team will be on a mission and will be a final four team and possibly win it all. 

The Virginia comparison is pretty accurate.

Wheeler is the wildcard for me. 1) The guy will miss time with injury. 2) At points during last season, he was not able to orchestrate the troops well enough in crucial stages. His final few minutes in the St. Peter's game were horrific. I can't get that out of mind.

If this group does not make the final four the fan base should be upset. Not a big UK fan like most but they have a bunch of pieces to be good. The more up tempo they play the better they will do.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, 9068 said:

If this group does not make the final four the fan base should be upset. Not a big UK fan like most but they have a bunch of pieces to be good. The more up tempo they play the better they will do.

Fingers crossed. Potential is their. Need to keep guys healthy.

Everything revolves around the PG position.  Like last year, opponents will have to play tight on the wings which opens the floor up for the point.  At the end of the season, Wheeler couldn't score, not sure his game has improved enough to score in the same situation.  I liked Wallace last night.  He maybe the answer.

I like this UK team, especially once they get healthy.

Hopefully Cal doesn't run Fredericks legs off like he did with Grady last year.  Reeves should take some of that pressure off.

I would think UK can play Wallace 18 minutes and Wheeler 18 minutes and be able to go with the hot hand the last 4 minutes of the game at point.  Both of those guys should be able to wear down opposing point guards with their relentless pressure.

Lots of depth and talent, now can they put it all together?

On 11/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, bugatti said:

Wheeler is the wildcard for me. 1) The guy will miss time with injury. 2) At points during last season, he was not able to orchestrate the troops well enough in crucial stages. His final few minutes in the St. Peter's game were horrific. I can't get that out of mind.

I'm not a fan of Wheeler at all.  So long as he is running point, I just don't see this team becoming what some expect them to be. 

1 hour ago, ChuckT said:

Everything revolves around the PG position.  Like last year, opponents will have to play tight on the wings which opens the floor up for the point.  At the end of the season, Wheeler couldn't score, not sure his game has improved enough to score in the same situation.  I liked Wallace last night.  He maybe the answer.

It wasn't as much of the scoring - which he obviously struggled with - but the decision making and inability to run the offense in crucial moments was frightening.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.