Bobby Petrino...Atlanta Falcons...

RockPride

Jim Leavitt?

I dunno. He has a couple of nice upsets, but some headscratchers, too.

That's true. However, the upsets stand out and USF is known to be an up and coming program. Petrino recruited the heck out of this area and was doing well. There are bound to be some recruits that may change their mind now. It stands to reason that USF, as well as the other Florida and Georgia schools, will benefit from this to some extent.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. However, the upsets stand out and USF is known to be an up and coming program. Petrino recruited the heck out of this area and was doing well. There are bound to be some recruits that may change their mind now. It stands to reason that USF, as well as the other Florida and Georgia schools, will benefit from this to some extent.

Would Leavitt want to leave USF for Louisville? In my opinion, he's good the inside track on Florida right now being the only Big East school in the state. True, he has to recruit against Miami, FSU and Florida, but he can sell his kids on competing for a BCS bowl every season, whereas those schools have to compete in the ACC (against Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc.) and SEC (any team is good!). If Leavitt continues to get top notch kids, then that leaves fewer for Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, etc. to come in and take. I think Leavitt is in a wonderful position.

Louisville has always recruited Florida well, because of the Schnell. I think that will continue if Louisville keeps winning. If Louisville wanted a hire for the reasons of keeping their hand in in Florida recruiting, they would go after Coker, who had some nice classes.

Would Leavitt want to leave USF for Louisville? In my opinion, he's good the inside track on Florida right now being the only Big East school in the state. True, he has to recruit against Miami, FSU and Florida, but he can sell his kids on competing for a BCS bowl every season, whereas those schools have to compete in the ACC (against Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc.) and SEC (any team is good!). If Leavitt continues to get top notch kids, then that leaves fewer for Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, etc. to come in and take. I think Leavitt is in a wonderful position.
Louisville pays more, has their own stadium, and better fan support. Leavitt also has hardly been thumping Louisville in recruiting.

Louisville pays more, has their own stadium, and better fan support. Leavitt also has hardly been thumping Louisville in recruiting.

The pay and stadium would be big issues. Is there any chance USF will be getting a stadium soon? With a new park I would think fan support would improve, considering they are the only show in Tampa.

Also, I didn't mean that he was thumping Louisville in recruiting, but he's getting players. With the current "instability" (is that the right word) with Louisville coaching, couldn't he slide in and take over a few recruits? I'm not saying he will, just mentioning a strategy.

I think because of it being a dome (good weather), a mid major market, as far as national media, and basically the same geograpic region we are in now....not too mention that Mr. Blank, seems to be a conservative in discipline, and such...this one was scary.

I think you could add to his reasons for going:

Atlanta has a lot of talent (that has not played up to it's potential) and they have a legit shot to go to the Super Bowl in a year or two (by playing in the weaker NFC).

He's from here and has said this is his dream job. Has anybody heard that before? However, he's been offered the Alabama job twice and turn them down.

Petrino was extremely successful recruiting against FSU, UF, and Miami. John L was not as proficiant, and I (for one) am hoping Petrino's replacement is not going to be as successful.

He's from here and has said this is his dream job. Has anybody heard that before? However, he's been offered the Alabama job twice and turn them down.

Petrino was extremely successful recruiting against FSU, UF, and Miami. John L was not as proficiant, and I (for one) am hoping Petrino's replacement is not going to be as successful.

John L also was recruiting for a school only known for its basketball in Conference USA. Louisville was recruiting the caliber of Florida players it was capable of. And some of those players that Miami, FSU and Florida had no interest in, they'd love to have now.

The pay and stadium would be big issues. Is there any chance USF will be getting a stadium soon? With a new park I would think fan support would improve, considering they are the only show in Tampa.

Also, I didn't mean that he was thumping Louisville in recruiting, but he's getting players. With the current "instability" (is that the right word) with Louisville coaching, couldn't he slide in and take over a few recruits? I'm not saying he will, just mentioning a strategy.

Louisville was actually having a low-key recruiting year, except for a few bigger players that they'd had commit recently or were in the mix for. It was an off year with the number of spots available.

Leavitt averages approximately $1 mil a year. Not Petrino money, but better than UC. ;) An on campus stadium has been in the works for a while now, but the Tampa Sports Authority keeps making Raymond James Stadium too affordable to give up. Besides I like Ray Jay. If you've ever been there, you'd understand why.

Also, you're right. USF loses a gob of recruits to UofL every year, yet the Bulls have recorded only one losing season in the 10 year history of the program, none since joining D1-A and they're even up against the Cards (2-2). Makes you wonder why other schools keep putting Jim on their short list.

I don't want to make this about USF. Even though I hate to see Bobby Petrino leave UofL, as a Bull fan, I can only hope UofL's loss makes it easier for Rocky and the boys. :jump:

Now we can leave Coach Saban alone for leaving a team. Coach Petrino also said some things about staying with the Cards. "I'm not leaving Louisville". "I'm not going to be Alabama's coach". Coach Saban. A person has the right to change their minds with out being called a "Liar". Good Luck to Coach Petrino and to the Cards. Roll Tide Roll.

Now we can leave Coach Saban alone for leaving a team. Coach Petrino also said some things about staying with the Cards. "I'm not leaving Louisville". "I'm not going to be Alabama's coach". Coach Saban. A person has the right to change their minds with out being called a "Liar". Good Luck to Coach Petrino and to the Cards. Roll Tide Roll.

Larry, people that lie a lot are liars. Maybe its part of the job now days, but it doesn't change the fact. I have no problem with either coach.