5A RPI Rankings (9/19)

16thBBall Fan

Here are the top 10 RPI rankings for 5A as of 9/19 and a few other notables as weill:

1. Frederick Douglass .71413

2. Covington Catholic .71051

3. Woodford County .69162

4. Scott County .68821

5. Bowling Green .68146

6. Southwestern .67640

7. Greenwood .64741

8. Fairdale .64535

9. Pulaski County .60871

10. Great Crossing .59575

** Other notables:

#12 Highlands .57640

#13 Owensboro .55945

#14 South Warren .55821

Personally if you think South Warren is the #14 best RPI team in 5A I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

I believe the top 5 right now in 5A is Douglass, Cov. Cath., South Warren, Bowling Green, and Woodford Co. JMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Here are the top 10 RPI rankings for 5A as of 9/19 and a few other notables as weill:

1. Frederick Douglass- .71413

2. Covington Cath.      .71051

3. Woodford Co.-        .69162

4. Scott County-         .68821

5. Bowling Green-      .68146

6. Southwestern-       .67640

7. Greenwood-            .64741

8. Fairdale-                 .64535

9. Pulaski Co.-            .60871

10. Great Crossing-     .59575

** Other notables:

#12 Highlands-         .57640

#13 Owensboro-      .55945

#14 South Warren-   .55821

Personally if you think South Warren is the #14 best RPI team i n5A I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

I believe the top 5 right now in 5A is Douglass, Cov. Cath., South Warren, Bowling Green, and Woodford Co. JMO

Yeah SW is not the 14th best team in 5A and I think your ranking is probably right.

BUT the RPI does reflect South Warren’s schedule. 

• Like 1

The major RPI bias is against programs that have out-of-state teams on its schedule.  No matter the quality of team, the data views every out-of-state team as a .500 squad.  For SW, the losses to two non-KY opponents is logged in as losing to two .500 teams.  If you view national computer ratings like CalPreps or Massey, that bias does not exist.  Cov Cath, Trinity, SW, St. X all have out-of-state losses to very good teams.  The RPI does not reflect true strength of schedule when evaluating out-of-state opponents.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bear3 said:

The major RPI bias is against programs that have out-of-state teams on its schedule.  No matter the quality of team, the data views every out-of-state team as a .500 squad.  For SW, the losses to two non-KY opponents is logged in as losing to two .500 teams.  If you view national computer ratings like CalPreps or Massey, that bias does not exist.  Cov Cath, Trinity, SW, St. X all have out-of-state losses to very good teams.  The RPI does not reflect true strength of schedule when evaluating out-of-state opponents.  

Well the Hendersonville, TN team that South played and lost to is .500.  They are 2-2.

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to 5A RPI Rankings (9/19)
1 hour ago, Killowatt59 said:

Yeah SW is not the 14th best team in 5A and I think your ranking is probably right.

BUT the RPI does reflect South Warren’s schedule. 

No it doesn't. As stated above, South Warren is hurt in RPI by two out of state games. They get zero points for those two games because out of state opponents don't count in RPI. Those two TN teams are both higher rated than Bowling Green, including 2-2 Hendersonville TN.

South Warren’s SOS is #2 in 5A by a wide margin over #3. Cov Cath is #1 in SOS and Highlands is #3.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No it doesn't. As stated above, South Warren is hurt in RPI by two out of state games. They get zero points for those two games because out of state opponents don't count in RPI. Those two TN teams are both higher rated than Bowling Green, including 2-2 Hendersonville TN.

South Warren’s SOS is #2 in 5A by a wide margin over #3. Cov Cath is #1 in SOS and Highlands is #3.

LOL

52 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Well the Hendersonville, TN team that South played and lost to is .500.  They are 2-2.

I'm sure Hendersonville is not going to be a .500 team at the end of the season.  They lost to 6A #1 Oakland and 6A #4 Beech.

2 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

1. Frederick Douglass .71413

2. Covington Catholic .71051

3. Woodford County .69162

4. Scott County .68821

5. Bowling Green .68146

6. Southwestern .67640

7. Greenwood .64741

8. Fairdale .64535

9. Pulaski County .60871

10. Great Crossing .59575

** Other notables:

#12 Highlands .57640

#13 Owensboro .55945

#14 South Warren .55821

Personally if you think South Warren is the #14 best RPI team in 5A I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

I understand the RPI process is different and therefore really bad when it is first released by like @ATLCat said in one of the other RPI threads, the KHSAA should be using Calpreps.

• Like 2

I'm personally not too big on knocking SW or their schedule. Point being that should Bowling Green win their matchup with them in a couple weeks it won't be perceived as a marquee win for them, only one that they "should've won anyway". On the surface it may lack substance considering the games that were out of state were lost, but I am not going to be tricked. Believe it's safe to say we can expect another battle.

• Like 1