Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5th year players

Featured Replies

I know with covid rules in place there were several outstanding players that came back last season for a 5th year in high school. My understanding was that all students that were in high school during the covid shutdown were afforded the chance to play an extra year as long as they didn't "age out." If that rule was just for seniors from the class of 2020, then I'm completely wrong and there are no more 5th year players allowed. 

If they are allowed:

Are there many this year, if so who are some of the better players that returned?

4 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I know with covid rules in place there were several outstanding players that came back last season for a 5th year in high school. My understanding was that all students that were in high school during the covid shutdown were afforded the chance to play an extra year as long as they didn't "age out." If that rule was just for seniors from the class of 2020, then I'm completely wrong and there are no more 5th year players allowed. 

If they are allowed:

Are there many this year, if so who are some of the better players that returned?

It was not just for seniors. There are still a bunch out there. This will go on for years. And that’s all I have to say about that. 

image.gif.d7b46c7bee7348c24919d207e2005e36.gif

 

5 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I know with covid rules in place there were several outstanding players that came back last season for a 5th year in high school. My understanding was that all students that were in high school during the covid shutdown were afforded the chance to play an extra year as long as they didn't "age out." If that rule was just for seniors from the class of 2020, then I'm completely wrong and there are no more 5th year players allowed. 

If they are allowed:

Are there many this year, if so who are some of the better players that returned?

Far, far too many than can be listed here. And if we are going to list them, then let's list all the players who chose to do a hold back year regardless of age and regardless of the COVID rule. I am not actually asking people to list them. Just pointing out that hold backs were happening for years long before the COVID rule came round. I don't see much difference between someone who reclassified under the COVID rule and those who reclassified before the COVID rule.

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Far, far too many than can be listed here. And if we are going to list them, then let's list all the players who chose to do a hold back year regardless of age and regardless of the COVID rule. I am not actually asking people to list them. Just pointing out that hold backs were happening for years long before the COVID rule came round. I don't see much difference between someone who reclassified under the COVID rule and those who reclassified before the COVID rule.

Correct. There have been 19 year olds playing HS football for years. The only difference between now and then is the year they were held back. This discussion really shouldn’t even be a discussion.

Is there any difference between someone looking the maturity of their middle school child and  holding them back versus a high school senior or junior  playing an additional year due to change in rules due to covid?

 

6 minutes ago, laketime85 said:

Is there any difference between someone looking the maturity of their middle school child and  holding them back versus a high school senior or junior  playing an additional year due to change in rules due to covid?

 

I believe that a kid that gets 5 years in a solid weight room program and 5 years of varsity coaching does have an advantage over a kid who gets held back in elementary or middle school.  Yes there have been hold backs playing forever but the extra year in high school makes a big difference over the kids who were held back in the years before high school.

This our podcast Tough Topic for 9/15. Please keep it going…. I am cheating and getting info to help my answer! 
 

I go back and forth on it. But, I do agree, a 5th year of HS football is different from a holdback before HS. 

 

2 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I believe that a kid that gets 5 years in a solid weight room program and 5 years of varsity coaching does have an advantage over a kid who gets held back in elementary or middle school.  Yes there have been hold backs playing forever but the extra year in high school makes a big difference over the kids who were held back in the years before high school.

I can buy this argument somewhat. But, for the most part, if you watched two teams you knew nothing about, I would guess you'd never be able to accurately pick out all the kids who took advantage of the extra year. Many of the top players (and even the non top players) have been training year round with personal trainers, private coaches, and attending high level camps since middle school. I'm not sure that the extra 6 months of work they get by taking advantage of a 5th season (the time from when off season workouts start to when the new season begins) is necessarily  going to make a huge difference for most high school football players. 

A recent grad from LCA said that his position group room in college included a 22 and 24 year old both being juniors. It's not just HS it's college too. 

I've seen 26 year olds still playing college football. If you think an 18-19 year old coming into college can compete with that then your wrong.

They also changed the rule a few years ago that if a MS kid was held back he couldn't play sports the following year. I agree that the covid year has caused an unfair advantage across the state. Look at the state championship games last year. I believe that 3 of the 6 state champions, maybe 4 had a 5th year senior QB/RB that completely dominated those games. Beechwood, Belfry, Boyle. Not saying those schools wouldn't have still won it but there is no denying what those players did on the field in those games.

My son is in 7th grade this year playing against kids that are supposed to be a freshman in basketball. Between hold back and then took another year for Covid. 

4 minutes ago, DanJack said:

My son is in 7th grade this year playing against kids that are supposed to be a freshman in basketball. Between hold back and then took another year for Covid. 

Your son must be on the young side for his grade. There shouldn't be any 7th graders playing who turned 14 before August 1.

2 minutes ago, DanJack said:

My son is in 7th grade this year playing against kids that are supposed to be a freshman in basketball. Between hold back and then took another year for Covid. 

Welcome to BGP @DanJack!

He’s 13 years old. There was a ton of 15 year old kids playing travel ball all summer as 7 graders. 

  • Author
10 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I believe that a kid that gets 5 years in a solid weight room program and 5 years of varsity coaching does have an advantage over a kid who gets held back in elementary or middle school.  Yes there have been hold backs playing forever but the extra year in high school makes a big difference over the kids who were held back in the years before high school.

I agree, I think this is the main point. Getting two senior seasons is a huge advantage over being a middle school hold back. As @JellyRollsaid, hold backs were the key components on several state title teams last year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.