Trinity vs. Center Grove (IN)

Who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/2022 at 11:00 PM

Trinity (1-1) will host Center Grove (IN) (2-0) and are coming off a 28-3 loss to Moeller (OH). Center Grove (IN) is coming off a 31-27 win over Carmel (IN).

Trinity struggled on offense against Moeller (OH) which is a championship contender in Ohio's highest class, but the defense held Moeller's great offense to 28 points after Moeller put up 49 points on a good Washington (OH) team the week before.

Center Grove (IN) is ranked #3 in Indiana according to Calpreps.com ratings. Center Grove (IN) is the defending Indiana 6A Champions. Center Grove graduated 5 D1 players off the championship team.

Common opponent:

Trinity 17 Carmel (IN) 7

Center Grove (IN) 31 Carmel (IN) 27

Based on the Carmel game it appears Trinity has the better defense but Center Grove has the better offense. This looks to be a good game and could come down to turnovers and/or special teams. In Courier-Journal game article it was reported that Trinity QB Andrew Allen played with ankle injury and was pulled late in Moeller game as a precaution to not risk further injury, so sounds like he will be able to play against Center Grove.

Does Trinity make it 2-0 against Indiana powers or does Center Grove make it 3-0 against a challenging schedule?

• Thanks 1

The Rocks home opener. 

They know what it feels like to both win and lose on the road. Now they get a brand new opponent in their house. I think they have the fight and the heart to make a statement inside Louisville. It will be hard fought and well earned.

T-21

CG- 17

• Like 2

From the preseason Top Games Thread:

Trinity vs. Center Grove (IN) in St. Matthews on September 2nd

First ever meeting? Couldn't find evidence they've met before. Chances are, if you're reading this, you're well versed in the accomplishments and reputation of Trinity football. Their standard of excellence is golden in the Bluegrass state. Center Grove is crafting its own standard in the Hoosier state, nailing down back to back state titles and running off 28 straight wins along the way. They unloaded a copious amount of talent during their June graduation ceremony, but should once again be a factor in Indiana's biggest classification. This is merely one of several marquee games on a schedule that doesn't allow a breather for the Rocks until maybe October. 

• Like 1

The win over Carmel further illustrates the rare air that Center Grove breathes. It appears they haven't skipped a beat after suffering heavy graduation losses. Trinity can count themselves among the big schools that have breathed that air. This should be a war.

Hopefully Center Grove travels well enough to help pack Marshall and set the atmosphere for debuting the new field.

• Like 2

Looks like Preseason All-State and starting RB Drew Wheat for CGHS is out. Should know more this week, but losing the starting RB for a Wing-T team can be crushing and maybe explains why they had such a tough time with Carmel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, #RockNation said:

Looks like Preseason All-State and starting RB Drew Wheat for CGHS is out. Should know more this week, but losing the starting RB for a Wing-T team can be crushing and maybe explains why they had such a tough time with Carmel.

How well does Center Grove throw the ball?

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

How well does Center Grove throw the ball?

On first pass, they looked much better in the Carmel game than Warren Central. They have some size at receiver and the QB Cherry (6'5, 205) has some arm talent. They had a WR take a nasty H2H hit, but I'm not sure if he's in the concussion protocol or not. They have moved a big Nickel/LB over to get some runs and he can move pretty well.

The team is riding a 30-game winning streak, but they certainly look beatable to me. They are definitely well coached and the Rocks will need to make the leap offensively to get this one I think. I really liked how the defense did not give up last week in a rough game against an exceptional Moeller team. It wouldn't surprise me to see Coach Cobb look to get some guys playing both ways to give them a boost on offense. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, #RockNation said:

Drew Wheat is a relative of mine and I confirmed that he is out for the season.

• Sad 2

I need to see more out of Trinity's offense before I have any confidence in a W.  I have seen nothing that leads me to feel we have anything that resembles some of our offenses of the last 23 years.

40 minutes ago, RockPride said:

I need to see more out of Trinity's offense before I have any confidence in a W.  I have seen nothing that leads me to feel we have anything that resembles some of our offenses of the last 23 years.

We're in the Kragthorpe Era of Trinity football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NLTanker1 said:

We're in the Kragthorpe Era of Trinity football.

7 minutes ago, RockPride said:

This is a sad sad fact...  At least Brad was a good QB for us.

Would each of you expand for us on this?