Trinity vs. Center Grove (IN)

Who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/2022 at 11:00 PM

It’s really no secret that Beatty didn’t work at all to bring in the talent, the last several years he coached. He planned to retire the a few years before he actually did, but changed his mind because he wanted to coach the freshman class that came in (class that won the last State Title), to add to his legacy. I believe his wife also wanted a few more years at her position before retiring. Beatty absolutely changed his attitude and approach to Trinity and the football teams future and transition at the end. He gave no personal insight or recommendations to his heir apparent, which is not complete shock but a little surprising!  Beatty was a great coach and evaluator of talent, but an enigma of a man. You either liked him or you didn’t!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rdr1984 said:

It’s really no secret that Beatty didn’t work at all to bring in the talent, the last several years he coached. He planned to retire the a few years before he actually did, but changed his mind because he wanted to coach the freshman class that came in (class that won the last State Title), to add to his legacy. I believe his wife also wanted a few more years at her position before retiring. Beatty absolutely changed his attitude and approach to Trinity and the football teams future and transition at the end. He gave no personal insight or recommendations to his heir apparent, which is not complete shock but a little surprising!  Beatty was a great coach and evaluator of talent, but an enigma of a man. You either liked him or you didn’t!

I talked to Bob after he retired. We sat outside at a restaurant and talked mostly about Trinity football. He was very explicit in how vocal he was to the AD about what a bad choice Cobb was to take over.

They claim they accepted applications from all over the country, but from what I understand simply asked parents and players who their favorite coach was on the staff. Jay Cobb essentially won a popularity contest because he's a nice guy. Something Beatty never gave a darn about and wasn't afraid to say it.

Practices look slow and unmotivated these days. Used to, you could hear Beattys voice on the other side of St. Matthews. Now you wouldn't know there was a practice unless you drove by.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NLTanker1 said:

I talked to Bob after he retired. We sat outside at a restaurant and talked mostly about Trinity football. He was very explicit in how vocal he was to the AD about what a bad choice Cobb was to take over.

They claim they accepted applications from all over the country, but from what I understand simply asked parents and players who their favorite coach was on the staff. Jay Cobb essentially won a popularity contest because he's a nice guy. Something Beatty never gave a darn about and wasn't afraid to say it.

Practices look slow and unmotivated these days. Used to, you could hear Beattys voice on the other side of St. Matthews. Now you wouldn't know there was a practice unless you drove by.

This sounds like some good insider info...….can you elaborate on the details of his explicitly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLTanker1 said:

This would be a great topic for a podcast! I would love to see the inner workings of this hire because from the outside it just didn't seem right. 

Was/is there any tension between Beatty and the Trinity AD to cause the AD to not take Beatty's opinion into account?

2 hours ago, LongTimeReader said:

This would be a great topic for a podcast! I would love to see the inner workings of this hire because from the outside it just didn't seem right. 

Was/is there any tension between Beatty and the Trinity AD to cause the AD to not take Beatty's opinion into account?

Simply put, I'd say yes.