Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 77 Houston 70

Featured Replies

There is no such thing as a bad win. Good thing they did win no telling what you would be saying if they lost.

:thumb:

  • Replies 81
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a pretty game, but I'll take the win.

 

Houston just runs a simple three man weave at the top looks for seams to penetrate and pitch. They knocked some down and missed some. UK did a really poor job of stopping penetration tonight.

After the game I ran into one of Houston's assistants on the way out to the bus, and I asked him if teams have zoned them much this year. He said a few have, UNLV and Arizona. Both times they struggled against it except for one half versus Arizona. I thought UK should have played some zone, because Houston was not doing anything from 10 feet out to the line, it was either drives at the rim or 3's. I asked him if he was surprised UK didn't zone...he said yes, but don't tell anyone. So I took that as Houston really doesn't like to face a zone and like that chaotic pace in the halfcourt.

 

Offensively, UK just settled for too many jump shots. Poor or slow ball reversal. Once again, they didn't get Morris enough touches. Then again, if Morris worked as hard as Tyler Hansbrough to get position, he would get more, but many times they just don't throw him the ball. If UK is going to beat the elite teams they have to have some scoring/shooting production from Perry or Crawford.

They opened the game 5-5 from the field and then proceeded to go 7-26 for the rest of the half.

 

Jodie Meeks just has a nose for the ball. Big offensive rebound off the Thomas missed FT, and scores and one to get the lead to 5, late.

 

I didn't think the game was physical at all. Towards the end, Houston was putting some body on Morris, but the game itself was not physical. Heck UK only committed 9 fouls the entire game. Heck the game was practically all jump shots. I think Houston shot 72 times. Ye gosh.

 

Off to Oxford, in a game I think that will be closer than some think.

Anyone else think the refs were letting people get away with too much? I'm all for letting the guys play but it seemed like Houston especially was reaching in and hacking across the arms an awful lot.

 

Glad to see the Cats didn't panic when they had plenty of reason to. Jasper is solid, but the more I see him, the more I think Meeks may be the special one from this class.

 

I was surprised that Porter didn't see more action with his quickness and solid defense.

I saw it that way also. Houston got away with several hacks on Kentucky's jumpers.

It was reported that Tubby was upset with Porter because of an ill advised jumper he had taken that was supposed to be a set play for something else.

I'm a little nervous that Porter is going to get discouraged and transfer or something. Tonight's game was tailor made for his game, IMO.

I would hate to lose him also but he has to have thicker skin than that. He can't sulk just because things do not go his way at all times. That is part of the game, there will be ups and downs and it is how you handle each that determines your success. Porter has a lot of upside but as a Freshman he will make mistakes and he just has to stay positive and work through them.

Off to Oxford, in a game I think that will be closer than some think.

Should be a well coached opponent... ;)

I would hate to lose him also but he has to have thicker skin than that. He can't sulk just because things do not go his way at all times. That is part of the game, there will be ups and downs and it is how you handle each that determines your success. Porter has a lot of upside but as a Freshman he will make mistakes and he just has to stay positive and work through them.

 

I will be shocked if Porter every plays Tubby's style well wnough for hi to contribute.

I will be shocked if Porter every plays Tubby's style well wnough for hi to contribute.

If he wants to see the floor he will!!!! He has shown signs of playing well, highs and lows for a Freshman are not uncommon. He doesn't need to play "Tubby Style," just needs to execute the game plan.

I will be shocked if Porter every plays Tubby's style well wnough for hi to contribute.

Everyone needs to chill on Porter.

Seldom will Tubby ever choose playing an offensive player over a defensive player in a game like this.

Porter wasn't going to be able to handle the PG for Houston off the dribble. If Jasper was having problems with the guy, Porter would have had even more problems.

So that is why I thought UK should have played some zone. Then he could have workd Stevenson and Porter in the game more.

I would hate to lose him also but he has to have thicker skin than that. He can't sulk just because things do not go his way at all times. That is part of the game, there will be ups and downs and it is how you handle each that determines your success. Porter has a lot of upside but as a Freshman he will make mistakes and he just has to stay positive and work through them.

 

I didn't see him sulking or anything. I just felt like it wuold be nice to let him get a few shots against that zone.

I didn't see him sulking or anything. I just felt like it wuold be nice to let him get a few shots against that zone.

And neither did I. My post was in reference someone stating he was worried that Porter was discouraged and would think about a transfer. I stated that if this was his thiking he needs to suck it up. I heard his lack of playing time tonight was because of poor shot selection on a set play.

One word.. Pairity. You just don't beat teams like Houston by 30 points every time you play them anymore. The cats didn't play as bad as some of you all made it out to be. The Cougars shot like 75 shots, over half from three. That style alone will keep you in games, unless your ice cold on that particular night.

 

I knew it would be a close game as soon as I saw Houston during warmups. I counted 11 straight three's they hit while running their drills. They're not as bad of a team as their record indicates, they just looked poorly coached to me. But that's all I really care to say about it, a win is a win people.

I saw it that way also. Houston got away with several hacks on Kentucky's jumpers.

It was reported that Tubby was upset with Porter because of an ill advised jumper he had taken that was supposed to be a set play for something else.

Thats what I was thinking.

If he wants to see the floor he will!!!! He has shown signs of playing well, highs and lows for a Freshman are not uncommon. He doesn't need to play "Tubby Style," just needs to execute the game plan.

Exactly.

I like Porter, but he does have trouble with the quicker players. The guy from Indiana made him look silly.Only got to listen to the game,but it sounded like we got outhustled quite a bit. Guess we were due for a sub par game just glad it happened before we hit the road in the SEC.

UK needs to learn how to take it to the basket and stop settling for jumpers.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.