January 4, 200719 yr If he wants to see the floor he will!!!! He has shown signs of playing well, highs and lows for a Freshman are not uncommon. He doesn't need to play "Tubby Style," just needs to execute the game plan. :thumb: I cetainly would not want to lose Porter and I don't think that we will. He imo just learned a lesson about executing what Tubby wants. Typical freshman mistake, at least I hope that's all it was. Stevenson has not been getting a lot of playing time either bc of not playing hard in practice - another requirement of Tubby's. Hopefully both of these kids will straighten up and I really think that they will. Like you said - not all that uncommon for freshmen mistakes, as Al McGuire once said....."the best thing about a freshman is that they become a sophomore".
January 4, 200719 yr All I know for sure is that this U.K. team is 11-3 with 2 of their 3 losses to the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country! This with a team that freshmen play and will have to play a key role for their sucsess. Imo U.K. is just fine and will only get better as the season goes on.:ylsuper: :ylsuper:
January 4, 200719 yr Stevenson will not play until he learns to play defense rather than waiting to try to block shots. Porter will be fine. He's a coach's kid. They usually understand how coaches think.
January 4, 200719 yr All I know for sure is that this U.K. team is 11-3 with 2 of their 3 losses to the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country! This with a team that freshmen play and will have to play a key role for their sucsess. Imo U.K. is just fine and will only get better as the season goes on.:ylsuper: :ylsuper: I agree...and I'm rather suprised as the announcers stated last night that they aren't ranked in the top 25 right now.
January 4, 200719 yr Good win! They have to step it up a notch, now that they are entering Conference Play.
January 4, 200719 yr The fact is - Houston hit a lot more shots tonight than they usually do and they play a style that will always keep them around in games. Had they played man-to-man all night, UK would have won by 20 or more. It wasn't beautiful, but it was a win. Any win is prettier than a loss and 11-3 is much better than 10-4. Go Cats! Virginia Commonwealth beat them by 18 Arizona by 25 Nebraska by 13 UNLV by 16 Their style doesn't always keep them around. A win is better than a loss for sure, but that's about the only good thing that can be said about that game. Houston is not a very good team and UK should have been able to cruise to victory in this one. It should not have been in doubt with under 2 minutes to play. When the game was tied late, the crowd at Rupp stood up and got really loud...it rattled the Houston players and they forced bad shots and UK capitalized. Otherwise, there's a fair chance we would have lost this game. Rupp Arena saved us.
January 4, 200719 yr Virginia Commonwealth beat them by 18 Arizona by 25 Nebraska by 13 UNLV by 16 Their style doesn't always keep them around. A win is better than a loss for sure, but that's about the only good thing that can be said about that game. Houston is not a very good team and UK should have been able to cruise to victory in this one. It should not have been in doubt with under 2 minutes to play. When the game was tied late, the crowd at Rupp stood up and got really loud...it rattled the Houston players and they forced bad shots and UK capitalized. Otherwise, there's a fair chance we would have lost this game. Rupp Arena saved us. It does when they actually make their shots. They shot it 75 times last night. By the way, all of those games besides Arizona were less than 20 points. Anything around 10 points with the 3-point line is still considered hanging around, IMO.
January 4, 200719 yr It does when they actually make their shots. They shot it 75 times last night. By the way, all of those games besides Arizona were less than 20 points. Anything around 10 points with the 3-point line is still considered hanging around, IMO. If we would rebound they wouldn't have been able to shoot it 75 times... Sorry, but I saw very few good things about last night's performance other than we won the game. I would have hoped we would be better at this point in the season, but that's just me. There's still time to improve before we get into the real meat of the SEC schedule.
January 4, 200719 yr It does when they actually make their shots. They shot it 75 times last night. By the way, all of those games besides Arizona were less than 20 points. Anything around 10 points with the 3-point line is still considered hanging around, IMO. I'd give you Nebraska at 13...UNLV by 16 is reaching...and Virginia Commonwealth by 18...c'mon...
January 4, 200719 yr All I know for sure is that this U.K. team is 11-3 with 2 of their 3 losses to the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country! This with a team that freshmen play and will have to play a key role for their sucsess. Imo U.K. is just fine and will only get better as the season goes on.:ylsuper: :ylsuper: That is also True never look at it like that...:thumb:
January 4, 200719 yr I'd give you Nebraska at 13...UNLV by 16 is reaching...and Virginia Commonwealth by 18...c'mon... Virginia Commonwealth and UNLV are pretty good teams this season. UNLV is 14-2 and VCU is 10-3. Its not that big of a deal really, they hit some big shots and UK missed some good looks. Also, UK outrebounded Houston 48-36.
January 4, 200719 yr And neither did I. My post was in reference someone stating he was worried that Porter was discouraged and would think about a transfer. I stated that if this was his thiking he needs to suck it up. I heard his lack of playing time tonight was because of poor shot selection on a set play. I'm sure Tubby was trying to prove a point after Porter fired up a bad shot, but I mean really - he only played 2 minutes against a zone defense and he is probably the best pure shooter on the team. If he was benched because of poor shot selection, then Crawford and Bradley should probably go ahead and transfer.
January 4, 200719 yr If we would rebound they wouldn't have been able to shoot it 75 times... Sorry, but I saw very few good things about last night's performance other than we won the game. I would have hoped we would be better at this point in the season, but that's just me. There's still time to improve before we get into the real meat of the SEC schedule. I'll help you find a few positives: - Sheray Thomas has overcome the idiots (me included) that have trashed him and is now making a contribution - Obrzut is no longer afraid to shoot it, and he can consistently make a mid-range jumper - Morris was 10-12 from the free throw line - Morris had another double-double (20 and 10); also had 4 blocks and 3 assists - The team had 19 assists and only 10 turnovers - Meeks had 8 points and 9 rebounds off the bench - Jasper had 12 points and 6 assists - The defense held Houston to 36% shooting - UK won
January 4, 200719 yr Virginia Commonwealth and UNLV are pretty good teams this season. UNLV is 14-2 and VCU is 10-3. Its not that big of a deal really, they hit some big shots and UK missed some good looks. Also, UK outrebounded Houston 48-36. Just another uninspired effort from my seat...UK came out sharp and built a nice lead and then quit and let Houston come back and almost win. I expect more. Ahh...at least I got to watch a thriller...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.