Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Weight Lifting Class

Featured Replies

I think this has been discussed before.  But I have had this discussion with several people in the last couple of weeks and was wondering how many schools have an advanced PE electives class.  I used to think a lot of school had this as an option but I'm beginning to think there are far more that do not. 

Our strength coach at St. X recently went to Nashville private schools that have period each day where can use weight room which I assume counts like PE class. Hopefully St. X adopts this.

I’ve always wondered this too as far as how many schools have it. I know MoCo does. I’m pretty sure Scott Co does. I think Scott Co has a zero hour, 1st and 2nd hour classes.  When everything was going on with HHS last year it sounded like they were trying to get one. 
 

I’m interested to see how many of the school that made deep playoff runs have one. 
 

 

At Russell at least when I was there they had a class called Strength and Conditioning. I am not sure if they still have it or not. We mostly lifted weights.

  • Author

Rereading my post I left out "a weightlifting advanced PE elective".  I thought that many many school did but I think I was mistaken.  I know of several that do not and I know coaches that have taken jobs at schools with the promise of a certain number of paid assistants and weightlifting classes being promised only to have that not come to fruition.  I just thought it was becoming a more and more common thing but I'm realizing it probably isn't. 

 

We even had t shirts that said Russell Strength and Conditioning we wore.

I know a coach who came from a program in Tennessee who said their school had a whole "extra-curricular" block where if you participated in something after school AND your grades were up to snuff in all your other classes, then you could participate in that class everyday. He said his fourth block was football kids everyday and they could lift then start class and be out of practice 30 minutes to an hour after school let out. 

At Boyle County, they have 5 weightlifting classes a day that anyone in the student body can take. Football team usually does 1st period and then the other sports programs will have kids in the other classes. 

57 minutes ago, RunninReb said:

At Boyle County, they have 5 weightlifting classes a day that anyone in the student body can take. Football team usually does 1st period and then the other sports programs will have kids in the other classes. 

Right here…

1 hour ago, RunninReb said:

At Boyle County, they have 5 weightlifting classes a day that anyone in the student body can take. Football team usually does 1st period and then the other sports programs will have kids in the other classes. 

Do they start before school and then go all of first period? Or are they on block schedules and have longer periods? I ask because I think a lot of schools/teams would be limited by an hour class to get a good workout in and shower and get ready for the next class. 

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Do they start before school and then go all of first period? Or are they on block schedules and have longer periods? I ask because I think a lot of schools/teams would be limited by an hour class to get a good workout in and shower and get ready for the next class. 

Off topic but you would be shocked how many HS students absolutely will not shower after a PE class, even when given the opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Off topic but you would be shocked how many HS students absolutely will not shower after a PE class, even when given the opportunity. 

Interesting. I can't imagine sitting in class after a workout. Maybe I just sweat more than the average Joe haha! I guess it is a privacy concern? 

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Interesting. I can't imagine sitting in class after a workout. Maybe I just sweat more than the average Joe haha! I guess it is a privacy concern? 

That's my understanding. They worry about privacy and will not shower there. Blows my mind. I'll shower 2-3 times a day in the summer and that's at home by myself. 

  • Author

I think I read on here once that Pulaski has it but Southwestern not able to get it scheduled.  Both the same district, but principal has the say. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Do they start before school and then go all of first period? Or are they on block schedules and have longer periods? I ask because I think a lot of schools/teams would be limited by an hour class to get a good workout in and shower and get ready for the next class. 

Football players are put in it during first period and they will come in 30-45 minutes early and lift through the first period. This allows there to be time to do fundamental-centered drills and work after school. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.