Beechwood 23 Lexington Christian Academy 21 (2A State Championship)

theguru

5 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Where was Xavier Brown? He was supposed to be the dude. Where was he?

I don't know what his stats were for the game.  He looked good but he took a big hit in the 1st half and wasn't a huge part of the game.

Does anyone have Brown's stats?

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I think his Uncle was a better Beechwood QB and probably the GOAT for Beechwood QBs but that is for another thread. 

Greg Hergott running Mike Yeagle's offense was different than any other offense we faced at Paris. During those days, for most other teams,  the formation tendencies were very strong. The Tigers could attack any area of a defense in most of their base sets. Very difficult to defend in regards to scheme. Throw in the talent level across the board, skill, up front, and Hergott at QB, they were an entirely different animal.

Congrats to LCA and Beechwood on excellent seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Greg Hergott running Mike Yeagle's offense was different than any other offense we faced at Paris. During those days, for most other teams,  the formation tendencies were very strong. The Tigers could attack any area of a defense in most of their base sets. Very difficult to defend in regards to scheme. Throw in the talent level across the board, skill, up front, and Hergott at QB, they were an entirely different animal.

Congrats to LCA and Beechwood on excellent seasons. 

I agree Coach and like Jason said Greg Hergott was a great LB and made most of the tackles on defense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Hergs would also run you over if he had to. I remember the second round playoff game in 94 vs Lloyd he just lowered his shoulder.?

He could do it all, GOAT in my opinion, not just as a QB but as maybe the best Beechwood player ever. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I don't know what his stats were for the game.  He looked good but he took a big hit in the 1st half and wasn't a huge part of the game.

Does anyone have Brown's stats?

LCA

Xavier Brown: 10 for 66

Jay Emerson: 6 for 44

Drew Nieves: 6 for 18

Jeremiah Riffle: 3 for 8

Rest: 4 for -16

Beechwood

Cameron Hergott 29 for 161

Mitchell Berger: 12 for 60

Net: 

Beechwood: 277

LCA: 258

Time of Possession: 

Beechwood: 30:45

LCA: 17:15

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Brandon Berger is in the top 2. I only saw him get caught from behind twice. Both of those came against Bardstown. 

If I remember right Brandon was sick that game.  And as awesome as Brandon was, he was no Greg Hergott. 

• Haha 1

A nice little stat for people who didn’t know this. Beechwood has played in 21 state finals since since 1974. They have won 16 titles along with appearing in 20 finals since 1984. 

LCA tied Pikeville for the most opponent Beechwood has played in the  finals with 3. Beechwood is 3-0 vs LCA. They are 2-1 vs Pikeville. 

Beechwood have played Bardstown, Mayfield, Murray, Harrodsburg, Hazard, and  Danville each twice. 

Beechwood is 2-0 against Bardstown, Harrodsburg, and Hazard. 

Beechwood is 1-1 vs Danville and Murray.

Mayfield is the only team Beechwood has never defeated in the finals at least once. 

Beechwood is 1-0 vs Paris, Raceland and Hancock County. 

The school from Ft Mitchell knows how to win State Titles. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1