Woodford County vs. South Warren Predictions/Updates

Silverwolf

Who wins?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Spartandad said:

WC has the most opportunity to do well against South's secondary as compared to trying to rush the ball, but they will get a lot of pressure on the QB  from South's D. South is 1st in the state against the rush. There is no single lineman in the state that can stop Jackson from getting into the backfield and wreaking havoc. Burton, Snell and Hudson will all make tackles on the other side of scrimmage too. Nevertheless, I feel WC will have some success on the ground. They've got a big o-line that could wear down South after a few quarters. The big question that I have for you, Purple88, is "How good is WC'S defense?". Are they better than BG? As far as yardage, the stats don't show them to be amazing. I know you've seen them play, so what do you think? Especially their pass rushIf South can put up 28, I think it will be hard for WC to put up more than that against SW'S defense.

1 hour ago, Spartandad said:

I agree with you, whichever team controls the line of scrimmage is going to be the victor. WC definitely has the potential to overwhelm the smaller South D-line. South has got a lot of speed and agility waiting for them though. We'll see what happens.

Jackson vs Cook

SD, great analysis and questions.  I likely didn't pay enough attention above to 2 things:

1.  The size of the OLines vs DLines (Will WCs OLine wear South's DLine down?  That would be huge!)

2.  Defensive pressure on the QB.  Both teams are capable and both will be trying to apply that pressure.  But I also think both teams will make BIG plays on the outside as their QBs are more than good enough to do that.

Both of these points are really critical to each teams success.  I agree with @Silverwolfthat the Woodford OLine is a good unit and in order for WC to win, they likely need their best game of the season right here, as Souths DLine is so disciplined and disruptive that unless you are ready to physically dominate, it can be a long night.  But I think the WC OLine could do this.  I also expect Souths defense to put in just a few wrinkles WC won't see on film.  Classic Smith trait late in the playoffs.  Similarly WC could do the same thing.  It really will be a fascinating game.

All the players I underlined above are really good defensive players for South and Jackson and Burton are likely elite high school defensive players.  I just don't know the WC team enough to say on their defense.  I will say that WC was very well prepared to beat CovCath and they did that convincingly and moreso than the score indicates.  CovCath fought hard, but WC could have easily beat them 35-0 IMO.  I don't feel I got a good estimate on the WC pass rush because all CovCath really did was run QB draw.  So WC didn't really need to rush the passer.  They will here.  Souths OLine will be critical to keep Veltcamp upright in this game.  He's a good QB, but he will throw it away alot if pressure is coming and that would be big to try to force South into 3rd and longs.

I have only seen the WC defense one time so I'm very limited as playing CovCath is specific and unique, but comparing them to the BG defense:

I like BGs DLine better (Lightfoot 6'3 305 lbs you just don't teach that), but Woodford has some stout kids (wrestlers I would imagine) as well and honestly I was impressed with how they competed and occupied the blockers and allowed the LBers to close and fill the gaps.

LBers - I would unbiasedly call even.  Geislear is a real player at MLB.

Safety's - I think this is a draw as well.  I really liked the WC safeties.  Tall and athletic.

CBs - I like BGs better.  CovCath made a few plays here.

But it's hard for me to say based on 1 game, but I will say WC has a good defense and they'll be prepared and fired up to play.

First one to 28 points wins.  That's my prediction.  Will be a great game I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartandad said:

I agree with you, whichever team controls the line of scrimmage is going to be the victor. WC definitely has the potential to overwhelm the smaller South D-line. South has got a lot of speed and agility waiting for them though. We'll see what happens.

Jackson vs Cook is the age old question of what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object. Jackson is fast and strong, while Cook is a giant. One one one, if Cook gets good contact on Jackson, he can probably toss him around a few times. He outweighs him by probably 70 lbs.  If Cook and the center double team Jackson (assuming he plays the 1 position), then WC will probably be able to run up the middle successfully. If Jackson is out in the 3 and the Tackle blocks outside, then I Jackson is definitely fast enough to get by Cook often. 

How big is Jackson?  Great speed and agility - he is a tough out for anyone to block.

6 minutes ago, Brown said:

How big is Jackson?  Great speed and agility - he is a tough out for anyone to block.

Jackson is just under 6' weighs probably 240. Most likely he is overall physically stronger than anyone on the field though, does a legit 315 power clean. 

• Like 1

Best Wins according to CalPreps:

378 Gibson Southern (South Warren)

1496 CovCath (Wofo)

1547 Franklin (Wofo)

1728 Glasgow (Wofo)

2010 Bowling Green 2x (South Warren)

2468 Logan County (SW)

South was upset by Hendersonville #696

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Spartandad said:

Jackson is just under 6' weighs probably 240. Most likely he is overall physically stronger than anyone on the field though, does a legit 315 power clean. 

He is a load! He reminds me of Bowling Green's DE from 2014 - I want to say Holt was his name.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spartandad said:

12 minutes ago, Brown said:

He is a load! He reminds me of Bowling Green's DE from 2014 - I want to say Holt was his name.

Jackson is built a little different than most. There's a love of the weight room in him that goes beyond just football. It's a coach's dream to have players that are self motivated like that. They're a different breed.

• Like 2

Great thread here on a very tough game to predict.  Per usual, @Purple88 breakdown makes looking at the in's and out's of this game a little easier.  Even with all of the great breakdowns and analysis, I am torn.  I've been guilty of discounting Woodford all season long, but they earned a lot of respect last week.  Even if that wasn't the same Cov Cath team we're accustomed to seeing, WC left no doubt who was the better team.  All that said, I think the South Warren defense will be the difference in this one.  I'll settle on the Spartans in a close one.

South Warren 21 - Woodford 14

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Killowatt59 said:

Here's the list of 5A Champions

2020-Bowling Green

2019 -Covington Catholic

2018- South Warren

2017-Covington Catholic

2016- Bowling Green

2015 - Bowling Green

2014- Pulaski County

2013- Bowling Green

2012 - Bowling Green

2011-Bowling Green

2010- Highlands

2009- Highlands

2008 -Highlands

2007 -Highlands

Here’s some good news, in addition to local tv and radio, the game will be live-streamed on hypedup.tv ………the link will be on their Facebook page and YouTube!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silverwolf said:

Here’s some good news, in addition to local tv and radio, the game will be live-streamed on hypedup.tv ………the link will be on their Facebook page and YouTube!

Fantastic!

I like the guys doing the broadcast last week, they were excited for all the big plays no matter if it was Woodford or CCH.

47 minutes ago, Silverwolf said:

Here is some good news! In addition to local tv and radio, the game will be live-streamed on hypedup.tv………the link will be posted on their Facebook page and YouTube.

Thanks for sharing this! I've got several games I'm going to be switching between so this is helpful.

• Like 1