Open Job: Rockcastle County

On 11/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, Seybold24 said:

Question here for unbiased opinions, which is the better opening? Rockcastle or Garrard? 

I’m a biased opinion but I feel it’s really a no brainer if you look at the two programs as a whole. Rock used to be a feared and dominant opponent on anyone’s schedule during the Tom Larkey error. Teams just didn’t want to schedule Rock and for good reason. Tom always had his teams ready to do battle and during his time there we had one of the most heated rivalry in the state with our epic battles with Dudley and Bell county. If I’m not mistaken those games overall records slightly favor Tom as he had more head to head victory’s. Rockcastle has played in 2 state finals but was unable to win either as both were back to back against Boyle during their dominance period of going undefeated 5 straight years an no one would have probably been able to beat them during that period. Has GC ever made it to state? I’m not familiar with whether or not they have. Also Tom played in the 3rd or 4th round nearly every year while at Rock. After his departure we haven’t had that type of success but that is something we desperately desire. Hopefully we can get back to that type of level here in the future.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RoCkMaN28 said:

I’m a biased opinion but I feel it’s really a no brainer if you look at the two programs as a whole. Rock used to be a feared and dominant opponent on anyone’s schedule during the Tom Larkey error. Teams just didn’t want to schedule Rock and for good reason. Tom always had his teams ready to do battle and during his time there we had one of the most heated rivalry in the state with our epic battles with Dudley and Bell county. If I’m not mistaken those games overall records slightly favor Tom as he had more head to head victory’s. Rockcastle has played in 2 state finals but was unable to win either as both were back to back against Boyle during their dominance period of going undefeated 5 straight years an no one would have probably been able to beat them during that period. Has GC ever made it to state? I’m not familiar with whether or not they have. Also Tom played in the 3rd or 4th round nearly every year while at Rock. After his departure we haven’t had that type of success but that is something we desperately desire. Hopefully we can get back to that type of level here in the future.

Agreed. The furthest Garrard has ever made it, was a state semifinal appearance in 2011, that’s the deepest run they have made. I was just thinking of the now, Garrard has some young talent coming back next season and for the next few seasons, should be the favorite in the district next 2 seasons, Larkey was one heck of coach! Hall of Famer! 

2 hours ago, Seybold24 said:

Agreed. The furthest Garrard has ever made it, was a state semifinal appearance in 2011, that’s the deepest run they have made. I was just thinking of the now, Garrard has some young talent coming back next season and for the next few seasons, should be the favorite in the district next 2 seasons, Larkey was one heck of coach! Hall of Famer! 

I wouldn’t necessarily say GC will win district Bell is always tough and Rock is always Rock even when they lose key players and let’s face it the team Rock had this year under performed due to coaching IMO. Also Rock 8th grade made it all the way to state semi finals furthest that has happened in a very long time. 7th grade was just as good an should be a contender when they become 8th graders. Freshman and JV this year done well. Our program hasn’t been this good from top to bottom in many years. Like Parkey said in his farewell speech the state of the program is looking up. It will be an interesting district by all 3 teams and will be fun to see how it pans out year to year. I will say you have a nice qb and if we do hire Larkey maybe we can bring a few players with us besides his son I would start with the NL QB in Tucker he is an outstanding QB that is for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

What's Wayne Mills been up to since Bell Co. let him go? I feel like I might have read somewhere that he was still an assistant?

Was at Corbin till 2018, went to Whitley as their DC 2019, and has been back at Corbin since. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, BEChargers said:

If Rockcastle doesn't offer the job to Blair, I think they are making a big mistake.  But that's just my opinion of course. 

RC offering it and him taking it are two different things. I’m with you though, he’d be my first call.