Green County at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Green County
    • Mayfield

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

If Mayfield stays in the 4 man front I think the Dragons will be able to run the ball. I'm not sure Mayfield will do that, and I'd be willing to guess they aren't playing back and are down hill toward the line of scrimmage with linebackers the entire game, but if they don't load the box, I can see the Dragons moving the ball. 

The issue for me is that Mayfield is so well balanced and has so many weapons' to throw the ball to, its hard to stop that on top of the great back they have as well. He actually scares me more as a Dragon fan than anyone else, he seems to be the engine that makes them go, and if he is going well, they are tough to beat. 

My heart wants the Dragon's to come in and shock the state, but my head says this may be more than this young Dragon team can do this year. Even with that, the heart wins out and Give me the Dragons 36-35.

If #4 scares you, wait until you see#24 and he is only a sophomore, he will remind you of Adrian Peterson in his prime.

8 hours ago, Purple88 said:

As fans, we blow in and out like the wind on teams like Green County.  To have losing season after losing season and then to be able to put it together and go 11-1 is INCREDIBLE!  It reminds me of Logan County's turnaround.  @CoachAdler still deserves praise for that turn around and Green County Coach Colt Phelps deserves alot of praise for the unknown hours he and his staff have investing in their team and it's paid off!  This could be the Dragons best team since that 1975 team.

With that said, November football is different.  And the one thing I think most state championship teams try to do is play stiff competition so that in November they aren't playing a team better than they have already faced earlier in the year.  I certainly don't blame Green County for not upping their schedule; heck you only won one game last year.  So as @GC-Dragonssaid, they are playing with house money and he's right.  Go out and give it everything you got.  No reason not to.

But I quoted @snakesnot_2000 because I think this is where the game is.  Very few teams go to Mayfield in November and win; just a fact.  Mayfield will be the best team Green County has faced.  I'm going with Mayfield by 3 TDs.  But Green County has made me a fan this season.  Keep it up Dragons and good luck on Friday.

The Dragons made a huge jump from last year to this year, they returned almost every single starter from the year prior, and its showed, along with a great new scheme and set up from Coach Phelps. This team is a very solid team. 

I'd say the 2000 thru 2002 teams were better, along with the 2007 and 2008 teams. Id argue the best Green County team of all time is the 2007 Dragon team, it has to be the most talented and deep Dragon team of all time Imo. The 2000 team was also very very good, and beat Corbin at Corbin that year. The Dragons have had some really good teams over the years, but never been able to get over the hump. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GC-Dragons said:

The Dragons made a huge jump from last year to this year, they returned almost every single starter from the year prior, and its showed, along with a great new scheme and set up from Coach Phelps. This team is a very solid team. 

I'd say the 2000 thru 2002 teams were better, along with the 2007 and 2008 teams. Id argue the best Green County team of all time is the 2007 Dragon team, it has to be the most talented and deep Dragon team of all time Imo. The 2000 team was also very very good, and beat Corbin at Corbin that year. The Dragons have had some really good teams over the years, but never been able to get over the hump. 

1975?

2 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

1975?

I can't really say on that team, I've never had the chance to see any video on them, I was much to young to watch them. They must have been very good that year as well, but I can't give a good argument about how good they really were other than they beat Mayfield at Mayfield that year, which leads one to believe they must have been very talented. They also had Mike Deaton, who is more than likely the best athlete to ever come out of Green County. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at Green County schedule, not really sure where to find a quality win.  Taylor County appears to be it, but Taylor County doesn't really have a signature win either.  They got beat by 11 by Glasgow, and that looks like their toughest opponent.  IF Mayfield plays as well as they did last week, I don't think this will be much of a game.  A one-dimensional running team plays right into Mayfield's strength.  Will Green County be able to run it up the gut like Murray did in their win over Mayfield??  Murray never could get the edge on Mayfield in either game, so I don't Green County being able to accomplish that.  I'm hoping to see Mayfield continue to work on the passing game.  If they win Friday night, I think they will have to throw the ball more than they want to pull out another win.  #4 RB for Mayfield is the best all around back.  #24 is talented, but not as laterally agile as his counterpart.  He does have some breakaway speed #4 doesn't possess, so I like how they are getting him more carries in the Murray game.  However, he is Mayfield's best defender and playing him too much as RB will diminish his effectiveness on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Tracy House said:

I think this game is about the mentality of Green County , IF Mayfield gets up on them 3 touchdowns in the 1st quarter, it could take the wind out of Green’s sail. 
I have watched 5 games this year, that appeared Mayfield’s opponent became stunned, shocked and gave up, including the most recent opponent. 
But, if Mayfield goes out there with the hey we are Mayfield mentality only, it will make for a long game for the Cardinals.

This wouldn't be the first time this team has been down by 3 or more scores. Green against metcalfe first game was down 3 scores and kelpt grinding putting them self with potential to tie with a two point conversion. These boys seem to have heart and a never quit attitude. I think honestly it comes down to if Green is able to run and control the clock they have a good chance to win. With three backs and a QB that all are capable of breaking big plays on the ground. I feel this team has more tanleted and coachable guys then what alot of people give them credit for. Coach Phelps is a great coach I'm sure he will put them in postion to get them ready for possibly pulling the upset. 

29 minutes ago, xLAZYx said:

This wouldn't be the first time this team has been down by 3 or more scores. Green against metcalfe first game was down 3 scores and kelpt grinding putting them self with potential to tie with a two point conversion. These boys seem to have heart and a never quit attitude. I think honestly it comes down to if Green is able to run and control the clock they have a good chance to win. With three backs and a QB that all are capable of breaking big plays on the ground. I feel this team has more tanleted and coachable guys then what alot of people give them credit for. Coach Phelps is a great coach I'm sure he will put them in postion to get them ready for possibly pulling the upset. 

I would definitely classify this as a trap game for Mayfield.  I think if you look at the result of the 2 Murray games, we can more or less say that Mayfield didn't come ready to play in the regular season matchup.  I did see Mayfield implode a little in that first game mentally, they couldn't get any stops on defense and it kept them from building any momentum and you could see the frustration.  Green County has seen the keepaway recipe work so they know how to beat Mayfield.  We will just see if they can execute.  If Mayfield shows up unfocused and worried about next week, then Green County has the potential to upset the redbirds.

1 minute ago, BadaBing said:

I would definitely classify this as a trap game for Mayfield.  I think if you look at the result of the 2 Murray games, we can more or less say that Mayfield didn't come ready to play in the regular season matchup.  I did see Mayfield implode a little in that first game mentally, they couldn't get any stops on defense and it kept them from building any momentum and you could see the frustration.  Green County has seen the keepaway recipe work so they know how to beat Mayfield.  We will just see if they can execute.  If Mayfield shows up unfocused and worried about next week, then Green County has the potential to upset the redbirds.

I think it qualifies too, especially considering what is probably up next week.  However, I am not sure Green is good enough to trap Mayfield if that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Mayfield will be ready. They know now what can happen when you take your opponent lightly. Green County is 11-1 so you have to take them seriously.

I agree and no offense to Green County but I want Mayfield to win. 

Just now, snakesnot_2000 said:

Of course you do. You're licking your chops.....

Yes and no.  I just want to play Mayfield every year.  And Beechwood is definitely beatable.  Heck, BGP doesn't even have the Tigers ranked as the top team in 2A.