The Big 20

Bud_Kilmer

Ive decided to create the big 20 group of bluegress prep football royalty. To be on the list you need to be a program that people would be least surprised to see in a state championship. These programs go into almost every season expecting a shot. I factored decade winning percentages, state titles, etc. This list does not reflect the current year but a larger sample size of the last 20-30 years. However they might lean to the trends of the last few years. The following list is my ranking, but the 20 schools included is more important than the rankings that could be much more subjective. Give your thoughts.

1. Trinity  

2. Boyle County

3. Mayfield

4. Johnson Central

5. Pikeville

6. Covington Catholic

7. Male

8. Beechwood

9. Belfry

10. Bowling green

11. CAL

12. South Warren

13. St. X

14. Lexington Christian

15. Highlands (last few years has moved them down)

16. Danville

17. Central

18. Lexington Catholic

19. Corbin

20. Desales

Knocking on the door: Scott Scounty, Frederick Douglass, Owensoboro, Hazard

• Like 1

My #1 thought is this:  I loathe Highlands, their teams, their fans, their town, their mascot, their cannon, and everything else associated with the Bluebirds...but...if I have to go further than 2nd to find them in "Bluegrass Football Royalty" I'm not reading the rest of the list.  It is Trinity...then Highlands...then everyone else in whatever subjective order you want to put them in.  Period.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

My #1 thought is this:  I loathe Highlands, their teams, their fans, their town, their mascot, their cannon, and everything else associated with the Bluebirds...but...if I have to go further than 2nd to find them in "Bluegrass Football Royalty" I'm not reading the rest of the list.  It is Trinity...then Highlands...then everyone else in whatever subjective order you want to put them in.  Period.

Couldn't agree with you more, at least the last sentence!

I am hurt on the first sentence.... ☹️

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If the criteria is teams most likely to play in a championship game based on what have seen over the last 30 years, the top 4 are Trinity, Highlands, Beechwood and Mayfield.

I agree with this 100%. They have to be the start of a list like this. 

55 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If the criteria is teams most likely to play in a championship game based on what have seen over the last 30 years, the top 4 are Trinity, Highlands, Beechwood and Mayfield.

I think you are probably right.  Mayfield is there not because of the number of titles in that period, ( which is only 7), but the number of the times they've made the Final and/or the Semi-Finals.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I am hurt on the first sentence.... ☹️

Complete hyperbole to prove my point, sorry, probably took it too far!  I actually like a great number of the boys in the various programs that are friends with my kin, and the head coach of one of your major sports is a good friend of mine. 

Just being sensational to drive home my point that they have to be #2, and if I'll say that, it says a lot!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

You are probably right, and I probably put too much emphasis on Highlands 38-34 record over the last 6 seasons. But as I stated earlier, I want the focus to be on the 20 teams as a whole and not the way I ranked them which could be debated for months. Some people might rank them on number of champiosnhips, other might go off winning percentage or recent success. Maybe the Mount Rushmore would cause more controversy lol. I'll say Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, Boyle County.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

You are probably right, and I probably put too much emphasis on Highlands 38-34 record over the last 6 seasons. But as I stated earlier, I want the focus to be on the 20 teams as a whole and not the way I ranked them which could be debated for months. Some people might rank them on number of champiosnhips, other might go off winning percentage or recent success. Maybe the Mount Rushmore would cause more controversy lol. I'll say Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, Boyle County.

You are shorting Beechwood. Beechwood is #2 to only Trinity over the past 30 years. Seventeen state title game appearances and 14 titles. Four titles in the last 5 years. I know that isn't your focus in this thread but I had to reply to your Mt. Rushmore comment.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You are shorting Beechwood. Beechwood is #2 to only Trinity over the past 30 years. Seventeen state title game appearances and 14 titles. Four titles in the last 5 years. I know that isn't your focus in this thread but I had to reply to your Mt. Rushmore comment.

Its tough, I could see replacing Beechwood for Boyle or Highlands.

3 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

If total Wins in a program is a strong category wouldn't Male be in Top 5, aren't they #1 in wins in KY in history?  Forgive me for not having the record book handy....just surprised to see them down at #7 on your original list.

Balancing the past with the recent/present is tough as well as distinguishing between multiple great programs. Male is certainly the best team in the state this year too. I put them at 7 because Trinity and St.X  get in the way alot. Remember that ranking was not a ranking of which programs are best but which would you be least surprised to see in a state championship on a year in and year out basis. I dropped Highlands way lower than I would have if I ranked based off history. Right now I would be surprised to see Highlands in a championship because of their mediocrity over the last 6 years, which to me is a trend.

• Like 1

I probably shouldve worded the thread like this: If before the start of a season, assuming you didnt know anything about the rosters of a particular team, you had to bet which teams were most likely to be in a state championship. Not saying this year in particular but just in general. 

That is how I got to my first 5 teams on the list especially.