Linebackers in Kentucky

I think it would be tough to find a better linebacker than South Warren's Luke Burton. He's been the leading tackler on one of the best Defenses in the state for 2, maybe 3 years. He started as a Freshman on the state championship game (30 defense). He has been 1st team All Sky conference for 2 years. Extremely athletic kid who hits as hard as anyone out there. It's not unusual to seem him get a pick 6. He successfully runs and catches the ball on offense too. South definitely would not be nearly as good without him on the team.

It doesn't look like he's updated his Hudl much this year, but here's the link to his junior season.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2EjvKc

• Like 3

15 hours ago, FLYGUY said:

Peyton Ledford 6’3 235 Franklin County. Class of 23. 
Jayden Mattison 6’3 185 olb as well. 

What offers does Ledford currently have?  I've heard the name multiple times over the last 3 football seasons and with that size playing LB, he has to have some decent offers, but I haven't heard anything.

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

What offers does Ledford currently have?  I've heard the name multiple times over the last 3 football seasons and with that size playing LB, he has to have some decent offers, but I haven't heard anything.

He has none. Some interest but did not make the camp circuit last year. Hopefully this year someone comes along with interest. Also plays tight-end and some Defensive end in some situations. 

Beechwood in my opinion has the best all around LB core in NKY and maybe the state. 
Austin Waddell, Mitchell Berger, Michael Hatfield, as your starters. With Bomani Hughes and Avery Courtney to fill in on specific packages or when somebody needs a breather. Without these kids playing in the middle of the field, tough to say beechwood would be nearly as good on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

Beechwood in my opinion has the best all around LB core in NKY and maybe the state. 
Austin Waddell, Mitchell Berger, Michael Hatfield, as your starters. With Bomani Hughes and Avery Courtney to fill in on specific packages or when somebody needs a breather. Without these kids playing in the middle of the field, tough to say beechwood would be nearly as good on that side of the ball. 

While I’d give credit to Beechwood’s team defense having given up the least points to date of NKY teams, saying that they have the best line backing corps in NKY is a bold statement. Much less in the state. Cooper and Simon Kenton each have a player in the top 25 in the state (all classes) in tackles. Both of Ryle’s linebackers are in the top 25 in tackles in the state (all classes). I agree Beechwood has a really good defense, but I have to disagree with your claim. 

BB500B45-8F1E-4D42-BA7B-B7339D598A63.thumb.jpeg.3e7dc9676e1fbede707e1a1409d846a3.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goallinestand06 said:

While I’d give credit to Beechwood’s team defense having given up the least points to date of NKY teams, saying that they have the best line backing corps in NKY is a bold statement. Much less in the state. Cooper and Simon Kenton each have a player in the top 25 in the state (all classes) in tackles. Both of Ryle’s linebackers are in the top 25 in tackles in the state (all classes). I agree Beechwood has a really good defense, but I have to disagree with your claim. 

BB500B45-8F1E-4D42-BA7B-B7339D598A63.thumb.jpeg.3e7dc9676e1fbede707e1a1409d846a3.jpeg

Team defense hinders individual stats every time. Hard to lead in stats when you have 11 guys who fly to the ball and are capable of starting on just about every other team in the state. Not to mention I only see one team that has a legit chance at a state championship, and that’s Ryle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

Team defense hinders individual stats every time. Hard to lead in stats when you have 11 guys who fly to the ball and are capable of starting on just about every other team in the state. Not to mention I only see one team that has a legit chance at a state championship, and that’s Ryle. 

I’m not a huge fan of just total tackles due to your point.  I’ve also noticed certain teams awarding tackles for anywhere close to an assist.  A good defense gets off the field quickly and has several good tacklers.  Speaking back to Goodwin for Owensboro, I wouldn’t trade him for plenty of guys that have more tackles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BigCATDad said:

Russell’s Senior LB, Connor Goodall! Dominate MLB. 

He had a great year. Always around the ball and had a bunch of tackles for a program that doesn't inflate that number when reporting stats. I believe he earned every one of them. He should end up with close to 100 solos when all is said and done.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's a better pair of linebackers in the state than Ryle's Savage (134 tackles) and Belk (123 tackles).  Considering their competition I would match that pair up against anyone in the state.  Individually there may be better linebackers in the state but this duo has been dominating.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brown said:

I’m not a huge fan of just total tackles due to your point.  I’ve also noticed certain teams awarding tackles for anywhere close to an assist.  A good defense gets off the field quickly and has several good tacklers.  Speaking back to Goodwin for Owensboro, I wouldn’t trade him for plenty of guys that have more tackles.

I noticed this too.  Some have 2-3 times as many assists as solos.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

I agree, good lb's will many times force the plays to go elsewhere, or teams will pass, or run away from them...

15 hours ago, Brown said:

Total tackles might be the least useful stat in football, and certainly would not be my main criteria for determining who the best LB’s are. It also may be the most subjective stat in the sport.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1