Notre Dame 32 Toledo 29

DevilMayCare

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Luke Fickell is basically what Brian Kelly was when he came to Notre Dame, except with less success and less experience as a head coach as Brian Kelly had. Brian Kelly was successful as a head coach even before going to UC. Plus while I am a Fickell fan, I’m going to say the same thing I said on here back when Charlie Strong was the coach at Louisville and everyone loved him. Let’s see how he does after he loses his QB, just to make sure he still can be as successful. As a defensive coach you need to kind of get lucky and get that really good QB to help elevate things to make things look better. Strong had that with Bridgewater and that helped get him the Texas job, and then hasn’t done much since his days of having Bridgewater. Let’s see first how Fickell does when he loses his current QB, before talking like he is a cant miss type coach. 

How much have you actually watched UC over the past 3 years?? Fick hasn't been successful because of a stud QB.

Des was simply a game manager in year 1 as a RS freshman. Michael Warren and a really good defense led by 2 future NFL D-Linemen led them to 11-2 that year.

Year 2 Des was hurt and really struggled because he couldn't complete a pass over 10 yards. Michael Warren and a good defense again led them to 11 wins.

Last year, it wasn't until the SMU game that Des actually showed he could be a true dual threat QB and beat you both with his legs and arm...and I think having two future NFL tackles played a huge role in his progression and development throughout last season. They, again, had a top 10 defense to bail the offense out when they struggled.

This year is the first year they've had an offense that you look at it and think "man, they've got some dudes." But again, the defense will be what carries them because of the amount of future pros on that side of the ball. 

I love Ridder and think he's going to make a lot of money in the NFL after this season, but he isn't the reason Fick has had success. UC has been successful under Fickell because they been very good on defense and great at player development. They're an o-line/d-line driven program.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walter said:

How much have you actually watched UC over the past 3 years?? Fick hasn't been successful because of a stud QB.

Des was simply a game manager in year 1 as a RS freshman. Michael Warren and a really good defense led by 2 future NFL D-Linemen led them to 11-2 that year.

Year 2 Des was hurt and really struggled because he couldn't complete a pass over 10 yards. Michael Warren and a good defense again led them to 11 wins.

Last year, it wasn't until the SMU game that Des actually showed he could be a true dual threat QB and beat you both with his legs and arm...and I think having two future NFL tackles played a huge role in his progression and development throughout last season. They, again, had a top 10 defense to bail the offense out when they struggled.

This year is the first year they've had an offense that you look at it and think "man, they've got some dudes." But again, the defense will be what carries them because of the amount of future pros on that side of the ball. 

I love Ridder and think he's going to make a lot of money in the NFL after this season, but he isn't the reason Fick has had success. UC has been successful under Fickell because they been very good on defense and great at player development. They're an o-line/d-line driven program.

The great thing about all of this. Is either way we get to find out next season and see how he does. He has been amazing at UC and what he has done for the program. I truly hope he stays a long time and they keep getting better and better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I’m probably in the minority but I do think he needs to go. Norte Dame should be better than what they have been. Also, they should kill it in the NIL area. 

If he should go then who should they try to hire? You don’t fire him just to hire someone who may be an up and coming coach, because we see all the time those up and coming coaches fail once they get that bigger job. 

After Lou Holtz Notre Dame was literally becoming an after thought and really was not in contention for anything as they went through 3 different head coaches after Holtz. Kelly is the one who has made Notre Dame relevant again.  Which since he has been at Notre Dame maybe only 3 to 4 teams have been more consistently successful than him. 

I like the Mayer exuberance, but you are Notre Dame beating Toledo for God's sake.  Catch it, flip it to an official and get back to your bench.  There will be many other opportunities for real, honest, meaningful  exuberance in your career 

• Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 7:15 AM, Mustang said:

I like the Mayer exuberance, but you are Notre Dame beating Toledo for God's sake.  Catch it, flip it to an official and get back to your bench.  There will be many other opportunities for real, honest, meaningful  exuberance in your career 

This is an awful take. If your theory is to catch the TD and flip to the official then do that all the time. If we're only acting like we've been there before when we're playing a lowly opponent then you're going to find yourself playing to that opponents level quickly. 

I want my guys attacking Toledo with the exact same mindset that they attack Alabama with. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

This is an awful take. If your theory is to catch the TD and flip to the official then do that all the time. If we're only acting like we've been there before when we're playing a lowly opponent then you're going to find yourself playing to that opponents level quickly. 

I want my guys attacking Toledo with the exact same mindset that they attack Alabama with. 

OK, we will agree to disagree, but I'm going to stand by my statement on this one.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:15 AM, Mustang said:

We are too old school Mustang! Just do your job young man. His HS principal didn't teach him that lol.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...