Notre Dame 32 Toledo 29

DevilMayCare

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Guy has underperformed in my opinion. Not going to be good season this year. Defense not good.

I don’t think can say he has underperformed since Notre Dame was pretty much becoming an after thought before he went there. Since he has been there they have played in the Championship game and the playoffs twice. Now obviously they need to take that next step, but you really can’t get rid of him unless you know you are getting a guaranteed top coach to come in like an Urban Meyer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I don’t think can say he has underperformed since Notre Dame was pretty much becoming an after thought before he went there. Since he has been there they have played in the Championship game and the playoffs twice. Now obviously they need to take that next step, but you really can’t get rid of him unless you know you are getting a guaranteed top coach to come in like an Urban Meyer. 

I'd like to see them get Luke Fickell. I think he would take Notre Dame to next level.

30 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Now obviously they need to take that next step

That step is next to impossible in college football. Firing a coach after three appearances in the semifinals/finals without a title would mean every team outside of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State should fire their coach. Is Oklahoma firing Lincoln Riley?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd like to see them get Luke Fickell. I think he would take Notre Dame to next level.

Luke Fickell is basically what Brian Kelly was when he came to Notre Dame, except with less success and less experience as a head coach as Brian Kelly had. Brian Kelly was successful as a head coach even before going to UC. Plus while I am a Fickell fan, I’m going to say the same thing I said on here back when Charlie Strong was the coach at Louisville and everyone loved him. Let’s see how he does after he loses his QB, just to make sure he still can be as successful. As a defensive coach you need to kind of get lucky and get that really good QB to help elevate things to make things look better. Strong had that with Bridgewater and that helped get him the Texas job, and then hasn’t done much since his days of having Bridgewater. Let’s see first how Fickell does when he loses his current QB, before talking like he is a cant miss type coach. 

For Notre Dame moving on from Kelly for Fickell just doesn’t make sense. If you are going to move on from a coach who has taken you to a title game and two other playoff appearances. Then you better be getting a coach that you know for sure will do great and better than Kelly. Which that would need to be like a Urban Meyer, or Pete Carroll type who has already proven they can do it. 

53 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

That step is next to impossible in college football. Firing a coach after three appearances in the semifinals/finals without a title would mean every team outside of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State should fire their coach. Is Oklahoma firing Lincoln Riley?

I agree. That is why I said if you are getting rid of Kelly, then you better be bringing in a can’t miss type coach who has proven it like an Urban Meyer or a Pete Carroll from the NFL. Other than that you don’t move on from Kelly for someone who hasn’t shown they can win at the highest level. 

• Like 1