Boyle County vs. Paintsville (Sweet 16® Round 1) Predictions/Updates

Boyle County vs. Paintsville (Sweet 16® First Round)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Boyle County or Paintsville?

• Boyle County (21-4)
    • Paintsville (15-8)

This poll is closed to new votes

In just his second season at the helm of the Boyle County program, Coach Dennie Webb has the Rebels playing in Rupp Arena for the first time since 2015.  Webb's club had a bit of an uphill battle to get to Lexington, though, falling in the 45th District Championship to Lincoln County.  But the Rebels quickly regrouped in a pair of relatively comfortable wins in the 12th Region Tournament to earn a rematch with Lincoln in the title game.  Boyle outlasted the host Patriots 54-48 to earn a Sweet 16® berth.

A pair of Luke's lead the Rebels in scoring.  Junior Luke Imfeld tops the team in scoring at 18.7 ppg, while senior Luke Shepherson scores 11 ppg.  Junior Hagan Webb adds 10.4 ppg and senior Jagger Gillis averages an even 10 ppg.  Imfeld scored 20 in the Region Finals, including a sizzling 13-14 from the charity stripe.

Paintsville's road to Rupp was a tough, but sweet one.  The Tigers put away rival Johnson Central in an 84-73 double overtime thriller in the 57th District Championship.  Eight days later the Tigers again went to overtime with JC, this time winning 48-46 on a Jaxon Watts putback to claim the 15th Region crown.  Landon Slone's squad is led in scoring by junior Colby Fugate (21 ppg), senior Braxton Tharpe (13.2 ppg), and sophomore Connor Fugate (10.9 ppg).

Who ya' got: Rebels or Tigers?

Don't know a lot about Paintsville but know they have a great Coach and it will be a tough game.  If the Rebels can come out and play the way they have in the Region then the Rebels should win.  I got to go with the Rebels by 8pts.  

There is 3 common opponents between the 2 schools, Clay County, Corbin and Wayne County.  Boyle beat Corbin at Corbin and Wayne at Wayne and lost to Clay at Clay.  Paintsville lost to Corbin at home and away, Wayne in the Kenny Davis Classic but beat Clay  twice once at home and then in the 13 Region Tournament.

10 hours ago, Rebelstat said:

There is 3 common opponents between the 2 schools, Clay County, Corbin and Wayne County.  Boyle beat Corbin at Corbin and Wayne at Wayne and lost to Clay at Clay.  Paintsville lost to Corbin at home and away, Wayne in the Kenny Davis Classic but beat Clay  twice once at home and then in the 13 Region Tournament.

I hold nothing against any out of region team losing at Clay County. That is one of the most difficult environments for a road team in the state. I will take Boyle 65 to 51.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, se7ens said:

I hold nothing against any out of region team losing at Clay County. That is one of the most difficult environments for a road team in the state. I will take Boyle 65 to 51.

Yes, and Boyle shot awful that night. They were something like 1-for-17 in the first quarter and fell down almost twenty early. Bad night all around for the Rebels, one of a very few in what has been a really good season for them.

57 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Yes, and Boyle shot awful that night. They were something like 1-for-17 in the first quarter and fell down almost twenty early. Bad night all around for the Rebels, one of a very few in what has been a really good season for them.

2 pts the first QT 1-16 shooting and 5-31 first half.  

22 hours ago, Willy the whale said:

I would love to see this football game!

Umm thanks but No thanks! 

I know nothing about Boyle Co. basketball but Paintsville is a veteran team that will have 5 players on the floor that can shoot and play good defense. Colby Fugate is a player that can go for 30 on any night. Paintsville doesn’t have great size but all of the rotation is 6’2”-6-5”. 

Many of you will remember our head coach- Landon Slone. Took over for Coach Runyon in 2016 and has done well. Slone played as a walk on during Billy G’s last year at UK. Cal cut him upon his arrival. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a good matchup of 2 teams very similar. Boyle is very physical and play bigger than their actual size which runs from 6'0 to 6'3 of their 5 starters. Boyle has a good bench also. They have balanced scoring with anyone of six kids capable of getting 20 on a given night and Imfeld  has had 30 pt games this year. Boyle plays tough defense and rebounds the ball well.

1 hour ago, Rebelstat said:

Does anyone have a roster of Paintsville that has their sizes, numbers, position and class?  Trying to get everything set up in my computer for the game but KHSAA doesn't have positions or sizes of players.

Here's the KHSAA Preview: https://khsaa.org/Publications/Programs/20202021/BoysBasketball/issue1/index.html

No positions, but you'll find everything else.

• Thanks 2