Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mowing the grass

Featured Replies


This will be my first time owning a home during Cicada season. 17-years ago I had a basement apartment in Newport. For those of you that have been around a little longer than I have, how did you handle cutting the grass during the Cicada onslaught?

Why/how do the cicadas make a difference in mowing the lawn?

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why/how do the cicadas make a difference in mowing the lawn?

Yeah, I don't remember them being a problem.

Congratulations on your new home PP1!

I think PP1 may be talking about the buggers being attracted to the sound lawnmowers make. If he takes a vow of ahimsa this season, he'll rent a Bush Hog in the fall. Otherwise, he'll have free pulverized organic fertilizer and a tidy lawn.

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/are-cicadas-attracted-to-the-sound-of-lawnmowers-and-other-machinery/

 

  • Author

Just they are all over trees and grass. Their skeletons are all over the ground. I'm debating if I need to pay AALawncare this year to treat the yard or not. 

2 hours ago, PP1 said:


This will be my first time owning a home during Cicada season. 17-years ago I had a basement apartment in Newport. For those of you that have been around a little longer than I have, how did you handle cutting the grass during the Cicada onslaught?

In short, I would consider mowing more often and letting all those evil cicadas know it is your house PP1!

I don’t remember having any issues mowing the lawn during the last cicada event 17 years ago. I wouldn’t spend another minute worrying about it....it should be business as usual.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:04 AM, PP1 said:


This will be my first time owning a home during Cicada season. 17-years ago I had a basement apartment in Newport. For those of you that have been around a little longer than I have, how did you handle cutting the grass during the Cicada onslaught?

Just pick/knock 'em off before coming into house or garage.  That's what I did for my son after he was done mowing our large yard.  I don't recall a large number attaching themselves  though.

Apparently some lawnmowers - and especially some string trimmers - attract cicadas. I was still living with my 'rents in immediately following college the last time, and my dad's lawnmower wouldn't attract them at all, but when I used the string trimmer it would a little. I actually watched one of my neighbors at the time get absolutely mobbed by cicadas when he was cutting his grass.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.