Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Missouri 75 Kentucky 70

Featured Replies

32 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I get wanting to preserve the timeout there; they were behind by four (I think). I can't think Brooks getting the look he did was what they wanted. You could tell he wanted no part in taking that shot.

The biggest possession of the game deserved a timeout and this team definitely didn’t understand that so why save the timeout? And the last possession also? Why take those timeouts back to Lexington with you when this team desperately needed them? Just not quality coaching.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

The biggest possession of the game deserved a timeout and this team definitely didn’t understand that so why save the timeout? And the last possession also? Why take those timeouts back to Lexington with you when this team desperately needed them? Just not quality coaching.

Because coaching 101 tells you the most important thing is to preserve the last timeout (with 45 seconds left) to set up a defense? "Quality coaching" is a matter of execution. If Brooks makes the ill-advised shot does that mean Calipari is a genius? I can't follow the logic. On one hand you are saying Calipari should have gone off script and called a timeout to set up a play, yet you say he can't coach. So why would you want him doing that? Why would you want him coaching?

Missouri had just missed two FTs. The play was to get down the court before they get set up and get to the rim, not call a timeout to let Missouri get set on defense. Now if you want to argue Calipari should have hammered that into his kid's heads more, then fair enough.

 

8 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Because coaching 101 tells you the most important thing is to preserve the last timeout (with 45 seconds left) to set up a defense? "Quality coaching" is a matter of execution. If Brooks makes the ill-advised shot does that mean Calipari is a genius? I can't follow the logic. On one hand you are saying Calipari should have gone off script and called a timeout to set up a play, yet you say he can't coach. So why would you want him doing that? Why would you want him coaching?

Missouri had just missed two FTs. The play was to get down the court before they get set up and get to the rim, not call a timeout to let Missouri get set on defense. Now if you want to argue Calipari should have hammered that into his kid's heads more, then fair enough.

 

Scripting timeouts with this team is a waste. A coach should know his team and their capabilities better and should throw away the scripting module. That possession was key to the outcome of the game, Cal should have known that and used a timeout to ensure a good look, the scripting with this team should be nonexistent. Coaching 101 is far above Cal’s coaching mentality anyway.

28 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Scripting timeouts with this team is a waste. A coach should know his team and their capabilities better and should throw away the scripting module. That possession was key to the outcome of the game, Cal should have known that and used a timeout to ensure a good look, the scripting with this team should be nonexistent. Coaching 101 is far above Cal’s coaching mentality anyway.

Ok. But again, you are talking outside of both sides of your mouth. You are saying Calipari - despite evidence to the contrary - is a terrible coach. Fine. But, you also say he should be cerebral enough to burn his last timeout down 4 with 50 seconds left to draw up a play (mind you, his team his terrible at running sets and he can't coach), out-scheming the opposing coach setting up their defense.

On a positive note, I really like the way Jackson is playing.   Also, Ware brings a little toughness and good swagger, although he is rough around the edges right now.

Just now, tcjkbt said:

On a positive note, I really like the way Jackson is playing.   Also, Ware brings a little toughness and good swagger, although he is rough around the edges right now.

Me, too. I love Jackson and his potential. If he is back next year he could be in the defensive player of the year conversation. And Ware's growth through the year has shocked me. Both players bring positive energy to the court.

32 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

On a positive note, I really like the way Jackson is playing.   Also, Ware brings a little toughness and good swagger, although he is rough around the edges right now.

Agreed.

Ware is the best offensive player with his back to the basket.  Does a good job creating space for himself.

Devin Askew is BY FAR my least favorite player on this team.  He'd easily be on my All Least Favorite Calipari At UK Team.

2 hours ago, Cougarfan22 said:

I don't understand why Dontaie Allen gets only 7 minutes! and Askew gets 31 minutes.

I'm with you on Askew. 

As for Dontaie...I love the kid...but he played about as poorly as he's played all year in the first half last night.  It didn't bother me that he failed to get second half action.

38 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I'm with you on Askew. 

As for Dontaie...I love the kid...but he played about as poorly as he's played all year in the first half last night.  It didn't bother me that he failed to get second half action.

I hate it when you are right.

Has anyone noticed that Askew  hardly ever passes to Allen?  He will start the offense to the opposite side of the floor or wave Dontaie to the opposite side. Can this possibly be by design or some other reason? Cal did bench Askew for a possession after missing Dontaie on the wing and throwing up a brick. You could read Cal's lips saying, "Pass the ball". My comments are based not on just last night but several games the last couple of weeks.  Yes I am biased toward Dontaie but I know what my eyes tell me.

1 hour ago, Can'tcoach said:

Has anyone noticed that Askew  hardly ever passes to Allen?  He will start the offense to the opposite side of the floor or wave Dontaie to the opposite side. Can this possibly be by design or some other reason? Cal did bench Askew for a possession after missing Dontaie on the wing and throwing up a brick. You could read Cal's lips saying, "Pass the ball". My comments are based not on just last night but several games the last couple of weeks.  Yes I am biased toward Dontaie but I know what my eyes tell me.

Could be but I just don't think Askew sees the court all that well right now.  The game is too fast for him and he's being asked to do too much but that's mainly because we don't really have anyone else.  

I'm shocked I wished Hagans was on this team still.  Which would probably have done Askew a world of good because he wouldn't be playing as much, or he'd still be in HS at the moment.

5 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Could be but I just don't think Askew sees the court all that well right now.  The game is too fast for him and he's being asked to do too much but that's mainly because we don't really have anyone else.  

I'm shocked I wished Hagans was on this team still.  Which would probably have done Askew a world of good because he wouldn't be playing as much, or he'd still be in HS at the moment.

All valid points that you make, but my gut tells me there is a problem beyond what you have mentioned.  i wish Askew well for we surely need him. i don't think Clark will be back and not sure he is the answer to point guard issues anyway.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Could be but I just don't think Askew sees the court all that well right now.  The game is too fast for him and he's being asked to do too much but that's mainly because we don't really have anyone else.  

I'm shocked I wished Hagans was on this team still.  Which would probably have done Askew a world of good because he wouldn't be playing as much, or he'd still be in HS at the moment.

This. Don't overthink it, DA fans. Askew is most comfortable getting rid of the ball into safe situations, with little-to-no risk, but also little substance.

5 hours ago, bugatti said:

They are both tough to watch. But at least Allen can make some shots.

In fairness, UK scoring the ball in the second half wasn't the issue, and sadly, by default, the offense runs a little better with Askew at the point and Mintz off the ball. Now maybe sub some of those minutes for Boston, then ok.

 

5 hours ago, Cougarfan22 said:

I don't understand why Dontaie Allen gets only 7 minutes! and Askew gets 31 minutes. I understand Askew is young and should be senior in High School but man, it's tough watching him play. Any other year, he would be averaging 7 minutes a game. 


 

I love watching Allen play, because I love guys that can shoot. With that said, I don’t disagree with Cal on not playing Allen for most of the second half. Most of the second half the group he was using was playing really well on both sides of the court. While in the first half Allen did play bad, and didn’t look good at all. So I had no issue with Cal sticking with that lineup most of the half. 
 

I do disagree with Cal on not putting Allen in though at the end, when there was like two minutes left. They were down routinely around 4 to 6 points in the last two minutes. At that point, you need stops, but you also need to score. So no reason why your best shooter shouldn’t have been on the floor. 
 

Instead of the 7 minutes he played, it should have been more like 9 minutes, because he should have been in at the the end. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.