Covington Catholic 81 Highlands 65

Were you waiting for some whiners to come on here complaining about something?  I am not.  I do disagree though that this was a one sided affair.  Cov Cath absolutely took advantage with a poor shooting display in the 1st qtr by the Birds to jump on a 25-9 lead after 1 but after that it was an even 56-56 game if my Highlands math is correct.  A loss is a loss but the Birds will be back!  

Can't wait for Round 2!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Were you waiting for some whiners to come on here complaining about something?  I am not.  I do disagree though that this was a one sided affair.  Cov Cath absolutely took advantage with a poor shooting display in the 1st qtr by the Birds to jump on a 25-9 lead after 1 but after that it was an even 56-56 game if my Highlands math is correct.  A loss is a loss but the Birds will be back!  

Can't wait for Round 2!  

Actual game talk! Much appreciated. 

The 17-0 run in the 1st quarter made it tough for the Brids to win this one, although they missed some open shots in the 3rd quarter that could have made things interesting. If the teams meet again and the 3's are falling early for Highlands, they could pull out a victory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Actual game talk! Much appreciated. 

The 17-0 run in the 1st quarter made it tough for the Brids to win this one, although they missed some open shots in the 3rd quarter that could have made things interesting. If the teams meet again and the 3's are falling early for Highlands, they could pull out a victory. 

Also, playing on a college sized court (94ft) versus a high school sized court (84 ft) makes a difference when playing a team that likes to press and smother like CovCath.  That extra 10 feet makes a big difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Also, playing on a college sized court (94ft) versus a high school sized court (84 ft) makes a difference when playing a team that likes to press and smother like CovCath.  That extra 10 feet makes a big difference. 

This would be my point as well.  It makes it a little tougher to put more than one person on Vinson.  Bottom line is that Highlands needs someone to step up like Hunter Ahfeld last year.  Zach Barth can be that person, but needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Hopefully we get a rematch of last years region final.  

• Like 1

Both teams have played a brutal schedule so far this year.  I believe Highlands has played 5 teams currently in the top 15 in the state!  Both will continue to improve and a regional matchup could be another fun game.

After watching Highlands in every game this year I feel the complementary pieces to Vinson lack the grit of last years seniors.  Ahfeld, Delegrange, and Brass (before he got injured) really added a level of toughness to this group.  The  “others”, to quote Shaq, this year are more skilled but may be missing this dimension.

More games = more growth. Go Birds!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Both teams have played a brutal schedule so far this year.  I believe Highlands has played 5 teams currently in the top 15 in the state!  Both will continue to improve and a regional matchup could be another fun game.

After watching Highlands in every game this year I feel the complementary pieces to Vinson lack the grit of last years seniors.  Ahfeld, Delegrange, and Brass (before he got injured) really added a level of toughness to this group.  The  “others”, to quote Shaq, this year are more skilled but may be missing this dimension.

I miss watching Brass play. That young man has a motor that is second to none. I look forward to watching him play on the gridiron here soon for Georgetown. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwback32 said:

Totally agree, we need someone with a bit of toughness that can bang down low....maybe can't match up with the height of some of these teams but just are bangers.  Delagrange for instance had the muscle to not back down to anyone.  I would LOVE Kocher to be a working project to come into his senior year with like 15-20 lbs of pure muscle to adapt to that role...I know that doesn't fix this years gap but watching the JV and Frosh teams we don't have that piece coming up, so this is a gap for the near future unless something changes.  I think we are 1 1/2 yrs away to maybe utilize Benke's height (being a Fresh currently) but he doesn't have the weight.

Jacob and Jack had those defensive bodies and football grit like Hunter.  Trust me there was a kid or two in the program that fit the role you are talking about,; but decisions were made otherwise.  I think Cole and Oliver may get there but they need muscle.  You need that linebacker/strong safety mentality.  I call it enforce your will!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

They will not be playing on a college court this year. 

Due to COVID the first round of the region tournament will be hosted by each district winner and then the semifinals and championship will be at Holmes.

• Thanks 1