Christian Academy of Louisville at Mercer County Predictions/Updates (3A Playoffs)

DevilMayCare

Centurions vs. Titans  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/28/2020 at 12:00 AM

Titans and Centurions to decide "group of death"

If you've ever watched even one FIFA World Cup, chances are you've heard the term "group of death". It's a distinction bestowed upon the group of teams in pool play that is deemed the deepest and most challenging in the tournament. When you scan the 3A landscape this year and last, District 4 immediately fits that description. Mercer County, CAL, and DeSales have all three been fixtures in the BGP top 10 since the start of last season. Some teams around the state have an easier path to Kroger Field than the D4 trio have to a district title. 

When the Titans and Centurions crossed swords in Week 3, CAL rallied from a fifteen point deficit in the final six minutes to force overtime, but Mercer County ultimately prevailed on a 27 yard field goal after CAL missed one of its own. The Titans also defeated CAL by three in the regular season a year ago, but the playoff rematch is one they'd probably just as soon not be reminded of (sorry, @ChiefSmoke).

How well the Centurions recover, both mentally and physically, from a grueling win over DeSales last week could go a long way toward deciding the outcome. They probably feel like they've already played a state championship game in the first round. Such is life in the "group of death".

4nlte5.thumb.jpg.030169d3be99bd536b94e10f569c2b13.jpg

• Thanks 2

Titans have been over looked all year and like being the underdog. Don’t be surprised by a lopsided win in favor of the Titans. If they can’t prove themselves Friday they may never be taken for real in this district. Is there a tougher district in the state. If so which district?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rocksdad said:

Titans have been over looked all year and like being the underdog. Don’t be surprised by a lopsided win in favor of the Titans. If they can’t prove themselves Friday they may never be taken for real in this district. Is there a tougher district in the state. If so which district?

2A D4 is pretty tough.

I believe these are the districts in the state which include at least 3 teams that are or have been in the top ten in their class:

1A D2 - Louisville Holy Cross, Bethlehem, Campbellsville. All three have been in the 1A top ten all season.

2A D1 - Mayfield, Murray, Caldwell County, Ballard Memorial. Top three have all been in the 2A top ten.

2A D4 - Lexington Christian, Somerset, Danville, Washington County. Three top 10 teams.

3A D4 - DeSales, CAL, Mercer Co., Western Hills, Henry Co. Three top ten teams.

4A D7 - Corbin, Wayne Co. Knox Central, Lincoln Co. At some point, all four teams have been in the top ten this year.

5A D5 - Covington Catholic, Highlands, Conner, Cooper, Boone County. Not sure if Cooper ever made the top ten but CCH, Highlands and Conner did.

6A D6 - Ryle, Dixie Heights, Simon Kenton, Campbell County. I believe all except Campbell Co. were in the top ten at one point this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Field is ready for Friday night!

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 9.35.05 PM.png

Been a whole lot of big time November football games played on that field dating back to all those great Harrodsburg teams. Tomorrow should add another chapter to that story. Good luck!

10 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Been a whole lot of big time November football games played on that field dating back to all those great Harrodsburg teams. Tomorrow should add another chapter to that story. Good luck!

My Dad & I would walk up from Green Acres in November to watch those games in the mid 70's. Special place for November HS football. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the Titans had three pics in the first half last time they played. Centurions made a halftime adjustment and exposed the Titan pass defense in the second half. I expect Cal to throw the ball a lot. Titans should consider playing with 4 defensive backs. I think their run defense is fine. 

• Confused 1

CAL has a lot of weapons in their arsenal.  They will be tough to beat. I think Mercer's coaching staff will have watched enough film to be prepared for CAL's passing game.  CAL is missing one of their best receivers, but they still have several guys that can hurt you with a big play at times. The Titans need to be careful of the CAL running game too.  They have some speed in the backfield and can break a big one at times.  Mercer will need to get pressure on CAL's QB and really be on their toes every minute of the game.  CAL has the capability of striking quickly. This ought to be a close one, and if it is, I suppose I'd give the nod to Mercer because of the home field advantage, but a CAL win would not surprise me either.  Should be a good one to watch. I wonder if there will be a streaming broadcast.   

40 minutes ago, coachb110 said:

CAL has a lot of weapons in their arsenal.  They will be tough to beat. I think Mercer's coaching staff will have watched enough film to be prepared for CAL's passing game.  CAL is missing one of their best receivers, but they still have several guys that can hurt you with a big play at times. The Titans need to be careful of the CAL running game too.  They have some speed in the backfield and can break a big one at times.  Mercer will need to get pressure on CAL's QB and really be on their toes every minute of the game.  CAL has the capability of striking quickly. This ought to be a close one, and if it is, I suppose I'd give the nod to Mercer because of the home field advantage, but a CAL win would not surprise me either.  Should be a good one to watch. I wonder if there will be a streaming broadcast.   

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cal-vs-mercer-county-2020-khsaa-3a-football-playoffs-tickets-130718788415?fbclid=IwAR1iEA99HGP3g-lLjZx-oIQ0aJyHdpFmxcPhuVUwnN6Dhevn3F7Wvugq60Q

• Like 1