Covington Catholic 19 Beechwood 17

That was a battle. As good as Hergott was, too much was put on his plate. Being the entire offense is a tough ask for any QB, let alone at 17/18 years old. I still thought he played really well and made a ton of plays off-schedule that gave CovCath’s defense some trouble tonight. He’s a really nice player. 

Penalties were a major issue for CovCath tonight, but I don’t expect that to continue.

I really liked Beechwood’s defensive gameplan tonight. I’m not sure if that’s how they normally play, but they were really tough. They sat back in mostly 2 high safeties with one safety over top of Reardon, linebackers were off 8 yards and they said “run the ball and make someone else beat us.” It was pretty effective. 

That was a gritty win and Caleb made some great plays with his legs (the TD pass was also a dart) and the defense stepped up in the second half, but we’re a long way away from competing for a state title. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

That was a battle. As good as Hergott was, too much was put on his plate. Being the entire offense is a tough ask for any QB, let alone at 17/18 years old. I still thought he played really well and made a ton of plays off-schedule that gave CovCath’s defense some trouble tonight. He’s a really nice player. 

Penalties were a major issue for CovCath tonight, but I don’t expect that to continue.

I really liked Beechwood’s defensive gameplan tonight. I’m not sure if that’s how they normally play, but they were really tough. They sat back in mostly 2 high safeties with one safety over top of Reardon, linebackers were off 8 yards and they said “run the ball and make someone else beat us.” It was pretty effective. 

That was a gritty win and Caleb made some great plays with his legs (the TD pass was also a dart) and the defense stepped up in the second half, but we’re a long way away from competing for a state title. 

I like reading what you have to say @CCHFC

• Like 2

Great game. If you were amongst the lucky 200 of us, it really only came down to player counts as both a good teams IMO. BW plays majority both ways, CCH doesn’t have too. Simple as that and score proves it. Kudos to CCH for doing what needed to be done to win, and kudos to the BW kids. Especially the BW defense. From the mountain upfront to the secondary, great job. Without Jacob scrambling For first down when down field was completely covered, this game goes big Beechwoods way. Love Fall HS Football.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoudenSwain said:

Great game. If you were amongst the lucky 200 of us, it really only came down to player counts as both a good teams IMO. BW plays majority both ways, CCH doesn’t have too. Simple as that and score proves it. Kudos to CCH for doing what needed to be done to win, and kudos to the BW kids. Especially the BW defense. From the mountain upfront to the secondary, great job. Without Jacob scrambling For first down when down field was completely covered, this game goes big Beechwoods way. Love Fall HS Football.........

I don't think anyone who knows high school football is overlooking what Beechwood did tonight (and what Cov Cath struggled to do). I agree with everything you said, LS.

• Like 1