Covington Catholic 19 Beechwood 17

Another positive for BW is I can probably count on one hand how many times they missed tackles on defense. The other side of that is not making anyone miss in open space continues to be an issue for CCH. That really needs to start happening because it’s too difficult to go 12-15 play drives to score without stalling out. Then at that point you’re just relying on chunk plays to Reardon or another receiver down the field, which is how you get choppy play like this to start the year.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, Pacman69 said:

Really good look for beechwood to lose by 2 to Cov Cath. Bad look for Cov Cath to only beat Beechwood by 2.

Gotta ask. Does everyone Really think CovCath is that loaded this year?  “Bad Look” losing by 2 against a good team?  Look, it’s back to earth for CovCath with Mayer in South Bend. No disrespect to team, but when you have a NFL caliber player on your roster, it’s gonna hurt when you lose them. They got some tough kids, and they will be fine. I’m just blown away how everyone thinks they should blow everyone out. Quite honestly it’s disrespectful to the other schools in NKY that have talent, grit, and give them good games. BW pretty much dominated that game until they lost LB Hatfield, and when the tanks ran dry in the iron man football tanks. Takeaway Jacob’s scrambling, and HUGE kudos to that kid for recognizing and taking what was there, and you have a severely lopsided game in BW favor. All I’m saying here is think people are being too hard on kids nowadays. Appreciate what we have locally, which is some damn good football. And give credit where credit is due.......

good luck to all teams and hope We have a COVID CANCELLATION FREE week this week!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

Gotta ask. Does everyone Really think CovCath is that loaded this year?  “Bad Look” losing by 2 against a good team?  Look, it’s back to earth for CovCath with Mayer in South Bend. No disrespect to team, but when you have a NFL caliber player on your roster, it’s gonna hurt when you lose them. They got some tough kids, and they will be fine. I’m just blown away how everyone thinks they should blow everyone out. Quite honestly it’s disrespectful to the other schools in NKY that have talent, grit, and give them good games. BW pretty much dominated that game until they lost LB Hatfield, and when the tanks ran dry in the iron man football tanks. Takeaway Jacob’s scrambling, and HUGE kudos to that kid for recognizing and taking what was there, and you have a severely lopsided game in BW favor. All I’m saying here is think people are being too hard on kids nowadays. Appreciate what we have locally, which is some damn good football. And give credit where credit is due.......

good luck to all teams and hope We have a COVID CANCELLATION FREE week this week!

Well stated. At the end of the day, good teams find a way to win, and through two games, CovCath has outlasted a really good defense in Dixie, and a really good Offense in Beechwood. They have overcome obstacles and faced some adversity. They may not be world beaters, but they still have enough horses in the stable to pull the wagon. 

2 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Going to disagree that the Beechies pretty much dominated the game. If we take away Jacob's scrambling, can we also take away the two Colonel penalties that extended Tiger scoring drives and eventually led to 10 points? 

Maybe one or two were expecting Covcath to be as dominant as they have been the past 3 seasons. Most CovCath posters I've read have pumped the breaks and said this team will need time to develop. Either way they are 2 - 0 and working to stay near the top of NKY football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Going to disagree that the Beechies pretty much dominated the game. If we take away Jacob's scrambling, can we also take away the two Colonel penalties that extended Tiger scoring drives and eventually led to 10 points? 

Maybe one or two were expecting Covcath to be as dominant as they have been the past 3 seasons. Most CovCath posters I've read have pumped the breaks and said this team will need time to develop. Either way they are 2 - 0 and working to stay near the top of NKY football.

I didn’t say BW dominated the entire game. I said they did until Hatfield was lost and the IronMan football started showing signs of wearing down. I also gave kudos to CovCath. Again, Gritty team, gonna be just fine, just not a “bad showing” by only beating Beechwood and Dixie so close. I’ve heard that a few times, and I just don’t know why. 

4 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

This is correct. Most fans realize that the reason we beat LaSalle and won a state title last year was because of Mayer. Take him off the team and neither of those happen. The LaSalle win last year is as good as any in program history.

This year there’s a big drop off, but that doesn’t mean the team isn’t good or that they don’t have a chance to win 5A again. 

Defensively they’re pretty stout against the run so you’re going to need a QB that can throw the ball if you’re going to have some success. However, I think you can throw on the secondary. If/when you put Schmidt on that side of the ball then it’s going to get really tough for teams to move the ball on the ground.

Offense is still a major work in progress, but I don’t think they’re going to need to score more than 21 points to win, even against good teams. 

1 hour ago, LoudenSwain said:

I didn’t say BW dominated the entire game. I said they did until Hatfield was lost and the IronMan football started showing signs of wearing down. I also gave kudos to CovCath. Again, Gritty team, gonna be just fine, just not a “bad showing” by only beating Beechwood and Dixie so close. I’ve heard that a few times, and I just don’t know why. 

You also said without the qb scrambling, it was a severely lopsided game in Beechwood's favor. Reasonable minds can disagree, but I didn't see a severely lopsided game at any point.

2 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

You also said without the qb scrambling, it was a severely lopsided game in Beechwood's favor. Reasonable minds can disagree, but I didn't see a severely lopsided game at any point.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. All I know is I saw a great game Friday night, between two evenly matched teams regardless of class assignments. Both teams should walk away heads held high. 

At halftime, Beechwood had 219 yards of offense to Cov Cath's 84 yards, 10 first downs for BW and 5 for CCH - and 2 of CCH's first downs came on fourth down conversions. I can see where someone would see that and say the game was lopsided in Beechwood's favor at that point even though they only had an 8 point lead.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

At halftime, Beechwood had 219 yards of offense to Cov Cath's 84 yards, 10 first downs for BW and 5 for CCH - and 2 of CCH's first downs came on fourth down conversions. I can see where someone would see that and say the game was lopsided in Beechwood's favor at that point even though they only had an 8 point lead.

Except for the score, the other stats don't mean much. In fact, I would have been concerned as a Tiger fan that were outplaying the Colonels to that point and only had an 8 point lead. Where I was sitting, there was never a feeling CovCath was out of the game or that the game was lopsided in Beechwood's favor.

• Like 1

If Highlands only loses to CCH by 2 then all will be alright in Ft Thomas. That's where they are right now as a Program. The current administration believes in Moral victories and that's how they Gauge things these days. Participation and Everyone gets a Ribbon. Sorry, back to this thread. Sounds like Beechwood gave the Colonels all they wanted and then more. Great job boys. Hergott is a really nice Football player.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:21 PM, Voice of Reason said:

This is my 1st time on BGP since the game, but there are other ways to look at that 1st half: one way to look at it as when CCH gang tackled Hergott for a big loss on 3rd down during their 1st scoring drive, and then one of the CCH guys grabbed him by his face mask which kept the drive alive leading to a score. I believe they had 4 personal foul calls in the 1st half alone, with 2 of them keeping drives alive. That was the most undisciplined Eddie team I have seen in his tenure at CCH, and believe me: I have heard that practices have been brutal. The game was brutal to watch in general. Beechwood has a really good team while CCH may not figure everything out for another month. Still have the Skyler Schmidt X-Factor who will be a game changer...only played a couple snaps Friday.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, LoudenSwain said:

CCH was better in 2017 and 2018 than last year when Mayer was a Senior. He was not even their best player in 2017 by a long shot. Eddie will figure this out. They are definitely not on the same level they were the last few years, but IMO they have the best coach in the state, and I will take that over talent any day. They have more non-Seniors starting/playing this year than they have had in any year during Eddie's tenure because their underclassman are so talented.