Covington Catholic vs. Dixie Heights Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Dixie Heights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/2020 at 10:59 PM

7 minutes ago, NKYBballfan20 said:

How many people will be sitting in the old Kmart parking lot to listen to the game since attendance is limited? 

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna be watching at home on Youtube for free instead of sitting on that steep blacktop parking lot and hoping to hear what's going on from across the highway instead of seeing the action.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, bluecolonels95 said:

Ok, maybe no running clock in 1st half just because its first game of the year and they may be rusty but running clock at some point. It was 45-0 last year so probably similar this year.

I lean in your direction. I'll say Dixie gets on the scoreboard and go with 45-7.

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You think Blue Colonels are down from the past few years?

Not sure yet-even if they are a little bit down, they should still be the top team in NKY. They have good talent at all positions.  I just think with COVID, limited practices, no scrimmages etc. there will be a lot of games closer earlier in the season than normal as I see a lot of sloppy ball with a lot of penalties.. I could be wrong.

43 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You think Blue Colonels are down from the past few years?

They graduated the best player in school history so probably not as good as last year. But still top in nky. Down for their standard the past 5 years? I think logically, yes. There are no Mayers or McGuinnesses on the team this year. Mostly new OLine. Down in ky? Not really. 

• Like 1

CovCath 48 Dixie Heights 7

Unless I'm missing something on the Dixie roster, I'm not seeing a big strong experienced back or a glut of returning experienced offensive linemen. While I understand its early and both teams could be rusty without much hitting, Dixie is going to have to ground and pound and eat up as much clock as possible to keep this one close. Just not sure they have the roster for that type of strategy. 

Also, watching a few Dixie games last year, I was impressed with the overall toughness and tenacity of their 2019 squad. They didn't have a lot of top talent, but they really battled and never quit. What I thought was lacking overall, and I think could hurt them tonight in this game, is a lack of offensive play calling complexity to keep opposing defensive units on their heels. When good teams know what's coming, it's easy to defend. I think the DH Colonels coaching staff sometimes gets too stuck in wanting to accomplish their gameplay and can't easily pivot off of the plan when its not working. Tonight, they'll need to be flexible and adapt to what CovCath does or doesn't give them. Otherwise, it won't be pretty.

On the flip side, the reason I could be wrong...there is a solid amount of young talent on Dixie's roster. A good number of these young men have had success in their youth football days and in middle school. Dixie COULD surprise this year IF that core of young talent is put in the right places and the system is adapted to fit them. 

• Like 1

When Highlands had Beau Hoge he hid a lot of weaknesses that Highlands had that showed up the next year. I don’t think this happens to Cov Cath, but I’m interested to see what the void of Mayer does to this team. They have probably the best QB in nky with two years of top level experience so that helps a lot. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

What BrosefStalin said.

That is basically my point when I asked if Cov Cath is going to be down.  If Dixie is within 2 to 3 touchdowns of CovCath, then CCH is down from where they have been since Eviston took over.

My point is you aren’t going to be able to judge any team from tonight unless it is a utter beatdown. Eddie in my opinion is the best coach in the state, and I know he has my kid ready, but who knows what to expect tonight.