Zion and Duke

Jumper_Dad

I can't believe no one has brought this up yet.

Zion is in the middle of two lawsuits with a former manager or something. In court papers filed were a list of questions that Zion would have to answer under oathe. The questions were basically, did you or your family receive any additional benefits from Duke or anyone on their behalf for you to attend Duke.

The Kansas coaches are on wiretaps talking about what Zion's dad or someone close to Zion saying it would take to get him to Kansas. So it looks like they were absolutely shopping him around.

Released this week was info that Zion's family went from a place paying $850 for rent to a house worth $900,000 owned by a Duke grad that had a monthly rental of nearly $5,000. There were also 3 "luxury" vehicles leased that ended up with Zion's family.

As of now Duke is saying nothing nor is Zion. The case with the questions is on hold while the other case in another state catches up.

A few possible outcomes...

-Zion answers the questions that he did get benefits to attend Duke. (LSU gets death penalty)

-Zion says he didn't and it can't be proved otherwise.

-Zion say no, but is proved to be lying.(NCAA takes Bill Self's toupee)

Or the most likely,

Zion never answers the questions and settles out of court, then pays the woman off with a pile of cash.

If Zion pays her off, does this tarnish Coach K in anyway?

Of course they cheated.

Every team that has gotten a high-caliber athlete like Zion cheated.

And the ones that didn't get a player like him didn't cheat well enough.

And many others still paid to get recruits outside the top 25, they just didn’t have the cash to get a superstar.

Everyone’s doing it. You just have to hope your team is smart enough to keep plausible deniability in play.

I think this one will get settled out of court. If it doesn’t, the NCAA will award Coach K with a statue for leading the way in the fight for paying players.

It won't remotely tarnish Coach K's legacy. He'll still be slobbered on. And I'm sure if he gets pushed to say anything, it will be that he didn't know anything about it or anything else because he had people below him handling it.

I can see the headlines now:

“Coach K risks reputation in push for player compensation.”

Last one for tonight. I promise.

“Sinner or Saint ? Coach K says Williamson family upgrading to million dollar home in Durham with multiple $70,000 dollars SUV’s a sign of changing times.”

I realize the paying of players is pretty common. But with a guy like ZW it honestly shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s a stupid rule that forced him to go to Duke in the first place.

I realize the paying of players is pretty common. But with a guy like ZW it honestly shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s a stupid rule that forced him to go to Duke in the first place.

He could have sat out the year, signed a shoe deal and lived on that until he could be drafted. He could have went overseas and got paid immediately. Zion could have gone to the G League and got paid a smaller amount but paid nonetheless.

He wasn't forced to do anything, except not being able to play in the NBA straight out of high school.

He could have sat out the year, signed a shoe deal and lived on that until he could be drafted. He could have went overseas and got paid immediately. Zion could have gone to the G League and got paid a smaller amount but paid nonetheless.

He wasn't forced to do anything, except not being able to play in the NBA straight out of high school.

Agreed.

Zion had plenty of options. As crazy as it sounds, college was the best choice for his financial future IMO. I’m not sure he’s the number 1 pick and has all the endorsements available without college.

Kid built quite the following at Duke.

Put me in the camp that believes Zion should have been paid but is absolutely fine with Duke getting hammered for it.