Zion and Duke

Jumper_Dad

From @MBWC41:

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

From @Jumper_Dad:

In the immediate short term when discussing actual cash, yes. Duke got no extra financial gains from ads, shoe, TV or radio the year he was there. Those numbers were already set before he signed with Duke. Whoever paid Duke for their media and ad rights, may have been able to jack up the prices on some ads and pocket some extra money. But it didn't go to Duke.

I know what I'm saying sounds crazy, but schools like UK, Duke, Alabama, Clemson all sell their media rights off. They get a big guarantee up front and the media partner is left to market the ads and other stuff to make their profit.

I get that.

For the second time, past performances dictate future earnings.

Guys like Zion, Anthony Davis, Trevor Lawrence and Tua are the reason that Duke, UK, Clemson and Alabama get that deal.

The players of the past are the reason schools get their media deals.

From @MBWC41:

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

From @Jumper_Dad:

In the immediate short term when discussing actual cash, yes. Duke got no extra financial gains from ads, shoe, TV or radio the year he was there. Those numbers were already set before he signed with Duke. Whoever paid Duke for their media and ad rights, may have been able to jack up the prices on some ads and pocket some extra money. But it didn't go to Duke.

I know what I'm saying sounds crazy, but schools like UK, Duke, Alabama, Clemson all sell their media rights off. They get a big guarantee up front and the media partner is left to market the ads and other stuff to make their profit.

You think those schools get those deals from their media partners for 2 and 3 star players?

Nope...

They get those deals from the super stars they sign. Those superstars should be compensated...

From @Jumper_Dad:

From @MBWC41:

You think those schools get those deals from their media partners for 2 and 3 star players?

Nope...

They get those deals from the super stars they sign. Those superstars should be compensated...

No those schools earn those deals over years of proven performance. Zion could have went elsewhere and Duke wouldn't lose a penny when the next negotiations come up. Zion, AD and others are a piece of the puzzle for sure. When UK looks for their next deal, Davis will have been gone well over a decade...they won't make a dime because he was at UK on the next contract.

From @MBWC41:

From @Jumper_Dad:

No those schools earn those deals over years of proven performance. Zion could have went elsewhere and Duke wouldn't lose a penny when the next negotiations come up. Zion, AD and others are a piece of the puzzle for sure. When UK looks for their next deal, Davis will have been gone well over a decade...they won't make a dime because he was at UK on the next contract.

Anywhere Zion or A.D. attended would have profited in some way. Maybe during the season, maybe 5 years later.

“Proven Performance” is a direct result of athletes. The reason UK gets their media rights deal is because of players like Tayshaun, Delk, Azibuke, Cousins, Davis, Townes, etc.

The media doesn’t pay to see scholars. They pay to see incredible athletes. Those athletes deserve to be paid.

From @Jumper_Dad:

From @MBWC41:

Anywhere Zion or A.D. attended would have profited in some way. Maybe during the season, maybe 5 years later.

“Proven Performance” is a direct result of athletes. The reason UK gets their media rights deal is because of players like Tayshaun, Delk, Azibuke, Cousins, Davis, Townes, etc.

The media doesn’t pay to see scholars. They pay to see incredible athletes. Those athletes deserve to be paid.

Agree 100%, but one player doesn't move the needle...sustained excellence does.

From @bugatti:

From @Jumper_Dad:

Agree 100%, but one player doesn't move the needle...sustained excellence does.

Not sure what you mean by "move the needle", but Murray State has two examples of where one season is able to substantially raise the profile of the university which equates to money. In 2012 Murray State started 23-0 and moved up to #7 in the rankings. It was not part of an agreement, but Murray State ended up being on national television for seven or eight games in conference. After last season, I have worn Murray State garb across the country like I normally do. Multiple people have come up to me and said, "That's where Ja Morant played."

From @Jumper_Dad:

From @bugatti:

Not sure what you mean by "move the needle", but Murray State has two examples of where one season is able to substantially raise the profile of the university which equates to money. In 2012 Murray State started 23-0 and moved up to #7 in the rankings. It was not part of an agreement, but Murray State ended up being on national television for seven or eight games in conference. After last season, I have worn Murray State garb across the country like I normally do. Multiple people have come up to me and said, "That's where Ja Morant played."

Apples and Oranges...people knew Duke and Kentucky without Zion and AD attending them. All of their games are already televised weekly on national TV.

Murray St did get a huge publicity bump from Ja, but probably not much in direct financial impact.

From @bugatti:

From @Jumper_Dad:

Apples and Oranges...people knew Duke and Kentucky without Zion and AD attending them. All of their games are already televised weekly on national TV.

Murray St did get a huge publicity bump from Ja, but probably not much in direct financial impact.

"Direct" no. "Indirect" without a doubt. Probably the lost in translation going on here. The value of advertising for the University can't be quantified.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:17 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

I can't believe no one has brought this up yet.

Zion is in the middle of two lawsuits with a former manager or something. In court papers filed were a list of questions that Zion would have to answer under oathe. The questions were basically, did you or your family receive any additional benefits from Duke or anyone on their behalf for you to attend Duke.

The Kansas coaches are on wiretaps talking about what Zion's dad or someone close to Zion saying it would take to get him to Kansas. So it looks like they were absolutely shopping him around.

Released this week was info that Zion's family went from a place paying $850 for rent to a house worth $900,000 owned by a Duke grad that had a monthly rental of nearly $5,000. There were also 3 "luxury" vehicles leased that ended up with Zion's family.

As of now Duke is saying nothing nor is Zion. The case with the questions is on hold while the other case in another state catches up.

A few possible outcomes...

-Zion answers the questions that he did get benefits to attend Duke. (LSU gets death penalty)

-Zion says he didn't and it can't be proved otherwise.

-Zion say no, but is proved to be lying.(NCAA takes Bill Self's toupee)

Or the most likely,

Zion never answers the questions and settles out of court, then pays the woman off with a pile of cash.

If Zion pays her off, does this tarnish Coach K in anyway?

It's Duke, most people are probably still in disbelief, or doubt anything will come of it.  

On 7/11/2020 at 7:14 PM, John Anthony said:

It's Duke, most people are probably still in disbelief, or doubt anything will come of it.  

The NCAA would need video evidence of Coach K handing Zion money, 2 forms of identification and a dna test to even consider investigating Duke.

As I said earlier In this thread, this will be spun as Coach K fighting for minorities.