High School Graduations

I saw this morning that a group of Laurel County students challenged the school district's graduation plan that prohibited parents from attending a filmed 10 student graduation. The judge ruled in the students' favor, and now the district has to reevaluate.

What are some of the best options out there for graduation?

IMO, Laurel County's seemed reasonable. If parent's are allowed only 2-3 students could graduate at a time, which would take FOREVER!!

Here is what I would think is the best that could be hoped for to accomplish a graduation with all of the seniors present.

1. It must be an outdoor ceremony to reduce risk spread of the virus.

2. In order to attend the graduation, anyone attending students, teachers or staff must pass a test for the virus and a temperature check.

3. No family is allowed to attend and the ceremony will be live streamed so families can watch. If any family member is on the grounds of where the ceremony is being held, the student will be removed from the graduation.

Here is what I would think is the best that could be hoped for to accomplish a graduation with all of the seniors present.

1. It must be an outdoor ceremony to reduce risk spread of the virus.

2. In order to attend the graduation, anyone attending students, teachers or staff must pass a test for the virus and a temperature check.

3. No family is allowed to attend and the ceremony will be live streamed so families can watch. If any family member is on the grounds of where the ceremony is being held, the student will be removed from the graduation.

When tests seems to be so scare, how in the world can #2 be plausible?

Personally, I think taking away hugging friends and family takes away the essence of the ceremony itself. Take away crying parents in the stands and the many photos with friends, faculty, and family, and it is a sterile, less meaningful event.

Sounds cold, but I would just cancel the whole thing. It is a sacrifice and a big disappointment, but this is our current situation. It is a unique learning experience for our new grads. In ten years, their memories of this will be stronger than the average high school grad.

Personally, I think taking away hugging friends and family takes away the essence of the ceremony itself. Take away crying parents in the stands and the many photos with friends, faculty, and family, and it is a sterile, less meaningful event.

Sounds cold, but I would just cancel the whole thing. It is a sacrifice and a big disappointment, but this is our current situation. It is a unique learning experience for our new grads. In ten years, their memories of this will be stronger than the average high school grad.

This is what I see many schools doing.

I actually agree with you, however, on the other hand, aren't you going to Florida in less than two weeks?

Graduations are for parents and families IMO. If you polled kids I'd guess the majority wouldn't care at all about the graduation ceremony.

I cared about my high school graduation. I didn't care at all about my college graduation, but my grandparents and mom really wanted to see me walk. If it wasn't for them, I definitely would have skipped my college graduation.

All three public schools here are having graduation parades down the highway with graduation being held at the drive-in theater.

Each grad is allowed one vehicle of family to attend the actual ceremony.

I'm not sure on all of the plans or execution of social distancing for this.

Graduations are for parents and families IMO. If you polled kids I'd guess the majority wouldn't care at all about the graduation ceremony.

My feelings exactly. I’d wager most of the senior related events are more important to parents than the students. And I’d say the percentage is even higher for 8th grade, and elementary school graduations, etc.