Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Graduations

Featured Replies

I saw this morning that a group of Laurel County students challenged the school district's graduation plan that prohibited parents from attending a filmed 10 student graduation. The judge ruled in the students' favor, and now the district has to reevaluate.

 

What are some of the best options out there for graduation?

 

IMO, Laurel County's seemed reasonable. If parent's are allowed only 2-3 students could graduate at a time, which would take FOREVER!!

The absolute biggest challenge in high school graduations is the students. How do you allow a large assembly and maintain social distancing between the students? They are going to hug each other. No way that can be controlled or prevented IMO.

Here is what I would think is the best that could be hoped for to accomplish a graduation with all of the seniors present.

 

1. It must be an outdoor ceremony to reduce risk spread of the virus.

 

2. In order to attend the graduation, anyone attending students, teachers or staff must pass a test for the virus and a temperature check.

 

3. No family is allowed to attend and the ceremony will be live streamed so families can watch. If any family member is on the grounds of where the ceremony is being held, the student will be removed from the graduation.

Here is what I would think is the best that could be hoped for to accomplish a graduation with all of the seniors present.

 

1. It must be an outdoor ceremony to reduce risk spread of the virus.

 

2. In order to attend the graduation, anyone attending students, teachers or staff must pass a test for the virus and a temperature check.

 

3. No family is allowed to attend and the ceremony will be live streamed so families can watch. If any family member is on the grounds of where the ceremony is being held, the student will be removed from the graduation.

 

When tests seems to be so scare, how in the world can #2 be plausible?

Personally, I think taking away hugging friends and family takes away the essence of the ceremony itself. Take away crying parents in the stands and the many photos with friends, faculty, and family, and it is a sterile, less meaningful event.

 

Sounds cold, but I would just cancel the whole thing. It is a sacrifice and a big disappointment, but this is our current situation. It is a unique learning experience for our new grads. In ten years, their memories of this will be stronger than the average high school grad.

  • Author
Personally, I think taking away hugging friends and family takes away the essence of the ceremony itself. Take away crying parents in the stands and the many photos with friends, faculty, and family, and it is a sterile, less meaningful event.

 

Sounds cold, but I would just cancel the whole thing. It is a sacrifice and a big disappointment, but this is our current situation. It is a unique learning experience for our new grads. In ten years, their memories of this will be stronger than the average high school grad.

 

This is what I see many schools doing.

The consensus among a few young people I asked, absolutely yes to no family present over no ceremony at all.

St.X has scheduled theirs in August. Probably a lot of kids may not be able to attend though. I’ll be surprised if they even have it.

Personally, I think taking away hugging friends and family takes away the essence of the ceremony itself. Take away crying parents in the stands and the many photos with friends, faculty, and family, and it is a sterile, less meaningful event.

 

Sounds cold, but I would just cancel the whole thing. It is a sacrifice and a big disappointment, but this is our current situation. It is a unique learning experience for our new grads. In ten years, their memories of this will be stronger than the average high school grad.

 

I actually agree with you, however, on the other hand, aren't you going to Florida in less than two weeks?

I actually agree with you, however, on the other hand, aren't you going to Florida in less than two weeks?

 

Lol, hopefully yes, but we have a family condo there. Can self distance in a much nicer place.

The consensus among a few young people I asked, absolutely yes to no family present over no ceremony at all.

 

Well, it has been a long time since I was 17-18. What do I know?

Graduations are for parents and families IMO. If you polled kids I'd guess the majority wouldn't care at all about the graduation ceremony.

Graduations are for parents and families IMO. If you polled kids I'd guess the majority wouldn't care at all about the graduation ceremony.

 

I cared about my high school graduation. I didn't care at all about my college graduation, but my grandparents and mom really wanted to see me walk. If it wasn't for them, I definitely would have skipped my college graduation.

All three public schools here are having graduation parades down the highway with graduation being held at the drive-in theater.

 

Each grad is allowed one vehicle of family to attend the actual ceremony.

 

I'm not sure on all of the plans or execution of social distancing for this.

All three public schools here are having graduation parades down the highway with graduation being held at the drive-in theater.

 

Each grad is allowed one vehicle of family to attend the actual ceremony.

 

I'm not sure on all of the plans or execution of social distancing for this.

 

 

That’s a great idea! A lot of creativity has come out of this pandemic.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.